Kidney Stones Community
Kidney stone?

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Kidney stone?

Hello-

12 years ago I had my first episode of having kidney stone. Now, 7 days ago, I woke up early in the morning with a very sharp and unbearable pain that started from my back(right below my ribs) and continued to the side and middle of my abdomen. The pain was so big that I wasnt able to dress myself or to find a position that would somehow ease it. They did CT scan and it turned out I had a stone in my urether just above the baldder. They let me home with pain medicine and said I need to drink lots of water so that it could help flush it. I am doing what I was told and my stone is still there. Additionaly, my right kidney started to hurt bad. I am thinking that is due to either infection forming or backflow of urine. Went to urologist yesterday. He didnt even take Xray to see where the stone is. He only put me on cirpo for 5 days to prevent infection. I am on my end wits because I need to go back to work tomorrow and I am in pain. My question is, how likely is for CT scan to misdiagnose stone? is it possible that this can be something different ? And is it possible for the stone to be stuck in the tube? I was told it was only 4mm big in size. Please help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

But small stones are let to pass naturally, with medications support and by drinking plenty of oral fluids. Only if it does not pass then other options like Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) are used to break up the stone. Also, if the stone is higher up, it may need ureteroscopy to visualize and remove the stone. A CT scan will detect a stone. So, follow the instructions given and follow up with your doctor to see if the stone has passed.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Yes it is possible for the stone to get stuck. Hopefully you have passed it by now but if not ask your doctor about a product called flowmax. It will help you go to the bathroom about every 30 min. I was born with a condition that causes my body to create kidney stones. I have been to the emergency room 4 or 5 times in the past 18 years for the large stones, small ones pass ok. My first stone caused bleeding and severe back pain also with pain in the lower abdomen area along with hot/cold flashes and vomiting. It may feel like someone is squeezing your kidney while at the same time stabbing it with an ice pick. I first though it was my appendix. I was wrong.
Water, water, water. I have to drink plenty of water every day. This helps to flush it out and to keep the kidney tissue from squeezing the stone. Drink enough water to make the urine light yellow to almost clear. Stay away from soft drinks if you can help it and processed foods high in sodium.
I currently have a large one in each kidney right now around 7mm-8mm in size which may require the doctor to blast with ultrasound.
I have passed at least a dozen small stones over the years. Products with citric acid, mainly lemons will help prevent new one from forming although it will not help any current ones.Good luck.