Kidney Stones Community
Lithotripsy with Stent Procedure

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Lithotripsy with Stent Procedure

I have a Lithotripsy with stent procedure scheduled.  Background is I have a 16 mm stone in my upper right kidney.  The Urologist wants to bust it up with lithotripsy and insert the stent in my kidney at the same time for easier passage of the crushed stone particles.  The thinks the size of the stone and its fragments without the stent may give problems passing through the kidney, ureter and out the penis.  I have had a lithotripsy before (3-years ago) without the Stent.  It was a breeze with no pain, complications.  This time however he wants to include the stent in the procedure.  So, has anyone recently had a lithotripsy with stent and what were your results concerning success, pain, complications and so forth primarily dealing with the stent.  How long did you keep the stent in?  I am a little concerned about the stent but my urologist tells me its no problem.  He said he would want the stent and I would probably have more problems, pain, discomfort without it but if I want to go without it he would.  Any advice is appreciated.
Tags: lithothrpsy, Stent
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
How are you? The stent is a sterile hollow flexible tube that allows the kidney to drain around the pieces of stone. Indication is based on  stone size, location and other symptoms such as pain or infection. The stent needs to stay in until the majority of the stone fragments have been passed, which can be approximately one to two weeks. It is best that you talk to your doctor about this for proper evaluation and to erase any doubt. Take care and do keep us posted.
I am a doctor...........and a kidney stone patient.  Lithotripsy can be done with or without the stents, but passage of the fragments may be improved with the stents and pain less likely to occur.  During an acute attack, placement of the stent relieves the back pressure and allows urine to pass, which in turn relieves the pain.  With the stent in place you may have slight discomfort when urinating (prssure like sensation while bladder contracts), but nothing anywhere close to the pain of a blocked ureter.  Based on my personal experience (as a patient) I would reccomend you consider having the stent with your lithotripsy.  
I had procedure June 21st w Stent ,and was told removed very large stone .It is very painful .but pain medication allows me to manage the pain and discomfort .I am seeing Doc thursday to,HOPEFULLY,remove stent,I am also taking Phenazopyridine for Urinary tract I was told ,although other options for stone removal,this was the most effective
Kidney stones can be or are caused by too much calcium and lack of Magnesium> Since you are researching. I'd like to direct you to Search Magnesium and kidney stones. This is one sign of lack of Mg, also included is anxiety and hundreds more., Dr Carolyn Dean's book is amazing. "The Magnesium Miracle.". It will help you understand your symptoms and have instructions what to take and how much,and you will be amazed at what problems lack of Mg can cause. Youtube is another good source for searching on Magnesium, several clinicians have recorded reports and findings. Also make sure to take note of oral magnesium replacement and transdermal Mg at the same time. Oral Mg takes 6 to 12 months before it would build up enough in your system, while transdermal Mg will work instantly but you have to spray it on frequently. I got used to it. I use both but oral replacement is much simpler eventually. I have put my whole household, friends and family on Mg supplementation. You probably will end up doing the same once you do your research. Its best to get the books too. They have further info that won't be on line nor on Youtube.  
The other book is "Transdermal Magnesium" by Dr. Mark Sircus... with instructions on how to use it , He is also on Youtube.
Good health and good luck.