Kidney Stones Expert Forum
What % of stones like mine pass on their own ?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What % of stones like mine pass on their own ?

I've listed below my CT Scan results.  Am on Flomax, an antibiotic and drinking a ton a water.  Because I'm not in major discomfort, my Uro is giving it 2 weeks to see if it passes on its own.before a follow up imaging study.

Was wondering what % of stones like mine pass on their own ?  I've had other stones this size, but never have any gotten "stuck" like this.

From the CT report:
There is a mild degree of left hydronephrosis extending to the most proximal aspect of the left ureter, where a 4 mm obstructing calculus is identified.  There are 3 tiny punctate right renal calculi.

Thanks,
Jibs1
3183592_tn?1344634338
stones less than 5 mm have a high chance of passing on their own, like 80%, but these numbers allow a month for spontaneous passage.  The higher a stone is when it gets caught, the lower its rate of passage, so a 4mm stone in the upper ureter has a lower spontaneous passage rate than a 4mm stone in the distal ureter.  
3 Comments
Blank
656452_tn?1332787535
Thank you for your reply.

Update:  I had a follow up CT Scan and the stone is still there unchanged.  The CT Scan reveals it may be cystine and highly unlikely to be uric acid.  My Uro is sending me for a KUB X-ray to get a better idea what options we have to treat it.  It's about 3 weeks today since first symptoms. All prior stones were calcium oxalate or calcium phosphorus.

Jibs1
Blank
656452_tn?1332787535
Update #2:  It ended up moving mid-ureter and caused an infection with an obstruction. I was in the hospital for 4 days and came home with a stent.  This week I will know more about what needs to be done because the stone is now impacted in the ureter.  Kidney stone versus Man ... it came close to winning with the pain assoc with the obstruction [[ ouch ]]

Jibs1
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...