Kidney Stones Community
how to get rid of kidney stones

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

how to get rid of kidney stones

hi!
my father has a 4.2 stone in one of his kidneys and has two other stone (3.4 mm and 3.5) in the other. his prostate is moderately large. he has urination problems..
what can we do about the stones?
should we know the kind of stone?
what is ur recommended diet?
thanks
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Therapy depends on the size of the stone. Extra Corporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy for stones with a size upto 2 cms.  Percutaneous Nephrolithotripsy is done for stones larger than 2.5 cms. Sometimes a combination of the two can be done. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

In the meantime follow preventive measures to prevent stone formation.
Dietary changes may help prevent kidney stone formation if you are prone for it. Prevention strategies for kidney stones include - Increasing your daily fluid intake and taking the recommended daily allowance of calcium. Increase your fluid intake to the point where your urine volume reaches 2.5 litres a day. This may mean drinking up to 3 litres a day, if you live in a hot, dry climate or if you are involved in strenuous physical activity. Increasing urine volume decreases the concentration of minerals in the urine. This makes it less likely that a stone will form. Also, frequent voiding and drinking plenty of water can help prevent urinary tract infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thanks for the suggestions
his doctor just said wait for  6 month. then i will see wat can i do.
i think the doctor is waiting for stones to get larger.. or maybe he thinks that it will come down just by time.. is this a good advice to follow?!! i'm worried about the stones..
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Most kidney stones can pass through with consumption of plenty of water. Also medications help to prevent further stone formation. Surgical therapy for stones is reserved, if the stones do not pass and are causing an obstruction to flow of urine or if they cause repeated infections or if they are too large to pass through. So, besides adopting lifestyle measures and taking medications, monitoring may be essential to see for any changes in size. Discuss the possibilities with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I was born with a condition that causes my body to create kidney stones. I have been to the emergency room 4 or 5 times in the past 18 years for the large stones, small ones pass ok. My first stone caused bleeding and severe back pain also with pain in the lower abdomen area along with hot/cold flashes and vomiting. It may feel like someone is squeezing your kidney while at the same time stabbing it with an ice pick. I first though it was my appendix. I was wrong.
Water, water, water. I have to drink plenty of water every day. This helps to flush it out and to keep the kidney tissue from squeezing the stone. Drink enough water to make the urine light yellow to almost clear. Products with citric acid, mainly lemons will help prevent new one from forming although it will not help any current ones.Stay away from soft drinks if you can help it and processed foods high in sodium.
I currently have a large one in each kidney right now around 7mm-8mm in size which may require the doctor to blast with ultrasound.
I have passed at least a dozen small stones over the years. Good luck.