Kidney Stones Community
kidney stones

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

kidney stones

I was diagnosed with kidney stones almost 3 years ago but I did not get them removed as my Dr told me they could not kill me or cause any life threatening diseases, but recentley I have noticed a little bit of stomach discomfort, I would like to say pain but it doesnt hurt , it kind of feels like something is there like gas, and my stomach gurgles a little bit and once in a while I will feel a little bit of a slight pinching pain in different spots over my belly , it feels like its through the belly fat thoughI dont think its inside of my stomach but I cant be 100% sure, anyone else have these kind of symptoms or am I the only crazy peron here?
You are not a crazy person.

What you are experiencing when you say you "it kind of feels like something is there like gas"  this in fact is called renal colic.  It means that the stone or stones are moving.

I do not agree with your doctor that kidney stones are not life threatening.  If they get lodged in the ureter or block the flow of urine this is an emergency.  In fact at the age of 39 a piece of stone got lodged in my ureter and I was extremely ill.  The surgeon said that I was operated in time because there was a build up of pressure that had built up in the kidney due to the blockage.  Had they waited any longer, he told me, I would have had to have had my kidney removed.  Not only that, without the operation I would have died.

Because I have not long ago written about kidney stones in reply to another question in this forum, I am pasting what I wrote below so that you will know what to look out for.

The kidney stone will cause you problems with urinary infections as it moves, or travels down.  This is because it scratches as it moves and then when bacteria enters the wounds, infection sets in.  You will know when the stone is moving because you will feel discomfort or pain in one or the two kidneys (depends where the stone is).  You may also experience what is called renal colic which is wind like pain in your belly.

You may notice blood when you go for a pee or a discoloured discharge.  You may also start to feel unwell with fever.  Your doctor should have prescribed you with pain relief for the discomfort of the kidney stone.

You may pass it out naturally, but it will hurt as it travels down.  The stone can be a very small grain or larger.  When you urinate, catch the urine into a recepticle so that you can observe if the stone has come out or not.  It may come out like sediment and this can happen until the stone has passed.  You will know when you stop having the discomfort and the urine has no cloudiness or other abnomalities.

Make sure you drink plenty of water, 2-3 litres per day is recommended, but your urologist may advice you drink more.  Don't overdo it though, as too much water is no good for you and can make you ill.

There is no way of telling how long it will take for a stone to come out on its one.  Mine took well over 4 months.  Most of it passed on its own, but a piece of it got stuck in the ureter and had to be surgically removed.  Every time it moved I was very ill.

Some people say to drink lemon juice or lemonade or coke products to dissolve the stone, but I cannot say for certain if this works or not.

As your sides are still hurting randomly it is likely that the stone is moving.
Only an ultra sound or special dye xray will confirm where the stone is lodged.  Very tiny grains of stone don't get pick up on ultra sound.  
It also depends on which type of stone you have.  

There are 4 different types of stone:  Calcium oxalate, struvite, uric acid, and cystine.

If you start to feel very unwell and in extreme pain, go to your hospital.

Whichever stone you have it is very important to stay hydrated by drinking water.  Water will also help to flush the stone out.

Keep any eye out for any infections because these will need to be treated by antibiotics.  Signs of infection are: pain on passing urine with or without visible blood, smelly urine (like offal) and cloudy urine.

I suggest you see a different doctor, one who knows more about kidney stones.  In fact the doctor should refer you to a urologist.

Best wishes.
I agree with above poster.  I had a 3.0mm cause a life threatening obstruction so trust your instincts and get some followup on your stones I'd recommend.