Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Pain Associated w/ Pulmonary Sarcoid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Pain Associated w/ Pulmonary Sarcoid

I am 50 y/o female, an ex-smoker of 25 yrs., I stopped smoking in 2000. I was dx'd  with Pulmonary Sarcoid (per biopsy)and Asthma in 2002 and treated with Prednisone and Advair Diskus.  Prednisone stated at 30 mg daily and tapered off after 8 months and continued with the Asthma treatment since.  February of this year, symptoms of Sarcois re-appeared (major SOB) and prednisone was prescribed at 60mg daily.  Hospitalized 4/8-4/11 w/pneumonia, released w/ rx for Levaquin 500mg daily, albuterol/neb 4 x daily. Pred has been tapered to 20mg daily.  I still experience SOB, but one of my main concerns is pain in my armpits,and the rib area beneath and between the breast areas and in the general lung area. I have mentioned the pain to my pulmonary doc and he has advised that tenderness is to be expected.....what I experience is beyond tenderness, it's painful.  I have had CT's and a mammogram done to be on the safe side and all result returned normal (considering the Sarcoid).

Is the pain I mention above typical w/Sarcoid?

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Pain can ensue from sarcoidosis especially if the disease is chronic and has already involved fibrosis of the surrounding areas.  However, more common conditions should be considered and ruled out such as musculoskeletal problems or joint problems.  These common conditions can usually be treated by rest or with anti-inflammatory medications. Rehabilitation can also help lessen the pain (guided by physical therapist or rehabilitation medicine).  Be sure to report to your doctor any other symptoms that you might experience.