Leukemia & Lymphoma Community
Please respond, lymph node issues!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to all leukemia and lymphoma issues, Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML), ALL, AML, CLL, SLL, anemia, biopsy, bone pain, chemotherapy, Hodgkins Lymphoma, monoclonal antibody therapy, Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, stem cell transplant , swelling, vaccine therapy, weakness, and weight loss.

Please respond, lymph node issues!

Before I start, PLEASE respond as I am very nervous about what could be going on behind my symptoms. Thank you in advance, even if you're not sure please just add your thoughts!

I'm a 24 y/o, healthy (as far as I know) male. In mid march of 09 I came down with a respiratory illness. I noticed my lymph node on the left side of my upper neck was enlarged. The lymph node is close to the carotid artery if that makes more sense. One of my friends came down with lymphoma recently, so I started freaking out about this lymph node and kept feeling it several times a day, every day for a week. The node was painful and fairly large.

To this day, the lymph node is still not down to normal size. It has definitely shrunk, but it seems to have days where it gets bigger and then shrinks. When I swallow, I can feel it, but it's not as bad as it used to be. What really scares me though, is that now the left side of my neck is sore. I also found a small, but palpable lymph node (occipital) on the back of my head on the left side.

Back in March when I came down with that cold I also developed a slight twitch in my fingers when grasping objects. Since then this issue has gotten much better and is barely detectable. Could that have been related to the lymph node as well? I'm confused and scared, PLEASE RESPOND. Thanks so much.
YOU SHOULD VISIT AN ENT (EAR, NOSE AND TROAT DR.) I IMAGINE THE DOCTOR WILL FEEL YOUR NECK TO TOUCH THE AREAS WERE YOU SAY YOU HAVE THE ENLARGED LYMPH NODES.  DEPENDING OF THAT, IS WHAT THAT DOCTOR WILL TELL YOU TO DO.  MAYBE A CT SCAN OF THE NECK WITH CONTRAST, MAYBE A SONOGRAM IF IT IS A THYROID NODULE AND MAYBE A BIOBSY AND EVEN SOME LAB WORK.  YOU SHOULD NOT KEEP ON WAITING AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.  EVEN IF IT IS INDEED CANCER, WHICH I HOPE IS NOT, PEOPLE CAN GET CURED OF THIS WITH THE PROPER CARE.  SO BE BRAVE AND GO TO THE DOCTOR.
I USE TO HAVE LYMPH NODE ENLARGEMENT AND THE DOCTOR ORDERED ME CT SCAN WITH CONTRAST.  I WENT TO AN ENT. WENT TO A SURGEON. HAD PAIN AND WAS ORDERED TO USE CELEBREX. THE ENLARGED LYMPH NODES WERE PRESENT IN A CT SCAN I HAD IN 2001 AND THEY STILL COME OUT.  THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT I USE TO HAVE FOLLOW UP CT SCANS.  BUT WHEN I LET 2 YEARS PAST WITHOUT DOING ONE, I GOT A THYROID NODULE THAT WAS POSITIVE FOR PAPILLARY CANCER AND I HAD A THYROIDECTOMY AND REMOVAL OF 4 PARATRACHEAL NODES THAT RESULTED IN METASTASIS. I HAD RADIOACTIVE IODINE (I-131) AND AFTER 10 MONTHS SINCE I WAS DIAGNOSED I'M ALIVE, SO BE BRAVE, PRAY TO GOD TO GUIDE YOU AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.  GOOD LUCK.