Liver Disorders Community
37 year old alcoholic with early fatty liver and cirrosis(cirrhosis)

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Ive been i heavy drinker for about 4 years and now its getting bad the doctors say i have liver damamge and a fatty liver there doing a ultrasound monday to see damamge but they said i have to stop drinking or i wont last 5 years i dont have any symptoms yet but im scared as hell dont have any alt ast numbers but can the liver repair it self if you stop drinking...any insite please let me know thanks!

Hi you must give up the drink if you want your liver to heal ask your Doctor for help just dont stop drinking it can harm you ask for help.  I have been Sober for 24 years now its not been easy but worth it Take Care........Bob
I have been down the very same road as you. By the age of 37 I was told i had to stop drinking immediately or I was going to die. I had a Fatty liver. I didn't listen, then when I was 38 yrs old I was diagnosed with End stage cirrhosis 03-23-10 I'm sure you can guess what end stage means! I stopped drinking immediately. Now I'm 39 and things aren't looking to great.

I know your scared already and I dont mean to make you feel even worse but this is the reality of it for me man. This is your chance to make the right choice and save your own life. Stop drinking! Any time you feel the urge to drink, remember how scared you feel right now and think about being in my shoes. Once you are diagnosed with cirrhosis there is no turning back. It just is what it is.

Once diagnosed with cirrhosis the rule is, Drink and you die. There can never be any exceptions. Now on to your question. You must stop drinking immediately also you need to begin a low fat diet. These two things will save your life. Your liver can make a complete recovery in just a couple of years. There are many ways to stop drinking choosing rehab and counciling are the right and safest way to do it. I strongly recommend AA. There are several locations in your area. There you will find the strength you need to maintain your sobriety.

I knew I couldn't waste any time quitting so I went from drinking 23 beers a day to 6 beers immediately. That worked fine. Next I tapered down one beer less each night and within no time at all I was completely free! I have maintained my sobriety for more than 500 days. Quitting drinking in this way is not recommended since withdrawals can become very dangerous and in rare cases fatal. I was very fortunate that the only withdrawals i had was a fever while I slept. This only lasted me for a week.

I wish you the very best my friend and I hope you will find the strength you need to save your own life. I hope to hear back from you so I know how you are doing. please feel free to post or write me and email with any questions you might have. I will be glad to do my best to help you. God bless you

Randy

It was very kind of these people to share their stories!  Alcohol is sneaky for so many people.  It seems that if you are a big fan and drink every night or drink to get drunk, you are at high risk.  But everybody things it's the other guy with the problem.  And since there are people who drink a little with no problem, finding the line seems tricky.  
i just got my results back and my liver size was normal from the ultra sound and my blood showed no cirrosis (cirrhosis) my liver enyzmes were at 300 for both my alt ast so drinking is out in my rehab they tested me for hep c and i was negative so my doctor wants to re test me in 2 months to see if my liver goes down if not shes gonna order some more expensive blood work ,,but i think if i just quit the bottle i will be fine....but has anyone ever had elevated enthymes to this level and had them go down ..please let me know the best course of action thanks!
With levels elevated that high I hope you understand just how close you are coming to having cirrhosis. Here are the ranges these two enzymes should be in.
AST 5-40    ALT 7-56

So 300 as you can see is very high but I believe with absolutely no alcohol at all you can make a healthy recovery. Also stay away from fatty foods and get plenty of exercise.

Here is a link to a page that I believe may help save your life. This page talks a lot about cirrhosis but I think with the condition your liver is in right now this could be really helpful. The biggest part of survival is knowedge and you you find most of what you need right here.
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/cirrhosis-000037.htm

Here is a small exert from the page I want to make sure you dont miss.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have cirrhosis from any cause, it is vital to not drink any alcohol to prevent further damage to the liver. If your cirrhosis is caused by alcoholism, your doctor may suggest Alcoholics Anonymous as a good place to start your rehabilitation and maintain your abstinence.

You will also need to stop taking medications that may cause liver damage. For example, acetaminophen (Tylenol) can cause liver damage if you take large doses or if you regularly drink alcohol and take acetaminophen. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such as naproxen or Aleve, and ibuprofen or Motrin or Advil) can also damage the liver, as can some herbs and supplements. If you have liver disease, do not take any over-the-counter medication, herbs, or supplements without first checking with your doctor.

You may need to make changes in your diet, such as lowering salt intake, to treat complications of cirrhosis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wish the very best for you and I hope you find all the strength you need to make a good recovery! God bless you.

Randy