Liver Disorders Community
DVLA blood test results

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

DVLA blood test results

Gamma GT- my result 61       DVLA limit 43
AST-my result 20    DVLA limit 31
MCV-my result 102.5   DVLA limit 100
ALT-my result 24   DVLA limit 37

I have had my driving licence revoked because of these results (if you fail 2 or more they assume you have been mis-using alcohol)

I am 48 years old and have held a license for 30 years. I am not a heavy drinker by any stretch of the imagination....maybe a glass or two of wine with dinner 2 or 3 nights a week and the odd Saturday in the pub watching football when I'll have 4 pints of Guiness at the most.....this has been the case for about 15 years.

Even when I was younger I only ever drank at weekends...at no point in my life have I ever been dependant on alcohol nor have I suffered any ill-health because of it.

I have never had any reason to visit a doctor for any reason that I can recall and do not take any drugs (prescribed or otherwise)

I am due to take another medical within the next month or so. I have not had a single alcoholic drink for the past 6 weeks and do not intend to until I attend this medical, which will determine whether or not I will get my license back.

Given the above information, what are the chances of me passing the DVLA requirements?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Tests namely GGT (Gamma GT) - Gamma-glutamyl transferase, ALT - Alanine aminotransferase and MCV (Mean Cell Volume) and ALT - Alanine aminotransferase & AST - Aspartarte aminotransferase are done for DVLA to detect alsohol abuse for 2-3months prior to tseting. So, you will have to be about 12 weeks free of drinking prior to testing for the tests to be negative.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Dont even get me started on this, i had had my licence back for 3 years and was then sent for this "costly" medical, they said they needed more info from my gp (whom totally disagrees with these tests as he says they are a money making scam by the government) so far ive had 2 lots of blood tests a urine test (solely for drugs,which i have never touched in any shape or form in my life) and i've now had a letter saying i have to go have ANOTHER lot of blood tests done. this might i add has been going on sice january of this year. Even the Dr who did my lasts test was clueless as to why i was having it, i rarely drink these days and as my own GP says , even if i drink,what is there to say i am driving and when they talk about they are testing your liver, having a bad liver (if i do) doesnt make you a bad driver either.....
Hope you are well, buddy, not sure when you had your medical - but of you've had it I really hope you passed - my only question is are you sure they are the correct DVLA levels, as i have my medical soon

cheers Liam
Hi Liam, no mate I've not yet been given a date yet for my next medical....another screw-up by DVLA....they told me to send a fee of £25 which I did, they cashed the cheque then (after a month) told me the payment should have been £90!!....I sent the balance and I'm still waiting for a date for my medical.

I'm really angry about this as I have now been effectively banned for 6 months and still waiting....how do they get away with this??

Oh and yes.....they are the correct DVLA levels mate...I have it in black and white.

Good luck with your medical mate.