Liver Disorders Community
HELP PLEASE:High Liver Function Test Results

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Hi, Im 27 year old female and 2 months ago i had what i thought was a gallstone attack and same thing about 3 weeks ago. the first time was after a night out drinking and the second time i was totally stressed out about a few things. the symptoms i had well like i was having a heart attack and had awful pain from my rib cage and on the back and shoulder blades were aching. felt faint, dizzy, thought was going to vomit and was sweating, this "attack" lasted for 45 minutes to an hour. the pain was that bad on my back and rib cage that i could not lie down on the bed or sit or anything. anyhow the first time it happened i did not go to the doctor as it was the day after a nights drinking so i put it down to been a very bad hangover. the second time it happened i went to the casualty. they done an ECG and this was normal and carried out liver function tests. the liver one which was high. they told me to go back to my doctor last week which i did and i got the test results back today and these are worringly bad...
ALT IS 45 U/L (high)
GGT IS 151 U/L(extremely high)
LDH IS 216 U/L (high)
ALP IS 90 U/L
AST IS 30 U/L
TOTAL BILIRUBIN 6 UMOL/L

the doctor thought it may be gallstones as said gallbladder is inflammed. gave me medicine for two weeks and i have to go to the hospital next week for an ultrasound. Does this sound like i have cancer?

i am only 27 but very overweight, unactive and eat reallly badly. only drink one time a month if not once every 6 weeks. with the ggt level been so very high does this suggest cancer. only medication i on is migraine tablets, maybe one tablet every week, thats it. please help as i very upset and worried.
Your results aren't actually that high.  ALT, AST and BIL are the key liver function tests and they're all normal range with your ALT being just a few digits out.  Anything down to a dose of paracetamol can knock them out like that.  I have liver disease and on first presenting, my ALT & AST were in the thousands.  So you've nothing major to worry about.  GGT isn't always indicative of liver problems.  Sounds like your doctor is going to have to do a bit of investigation.  And don't worry about cancer, your blood results are more or less pretty normal.

Take care.
Sorry, on rereading my post, I notice I got a little mixed up between GGT and ALP.  GGT *is* a liver enzyme but as I'd said in my post, anything down to paracetamol can knock things out. The results being off are probably a result of the alcohol but what you described symptom wise does sound like gallbladder pain given I've seen a few family members with it.  Hope you don't get one of those "attacks" again though.  Never nice to be in so much pain. Definitely worth seeing your doctor anyway.

Take care.
Hi Caia, Thanks so much for replying. I am just so scared! Doctor just didnt seem to think it was Gallstones hence why I am been sent for scan next week. The GGT level reading was 151 and normal should be between 6 and 42. I know on the other readings - ALT and LDH i was a few digits out on them.

I am aware that alcohol can increase the GGT Level - alcohol or bad hangover next day was what i was blaming for such an attack, at the time i thought gall stone attack but two weeks ago i had exact same attack while sitting reading a magazine..i know i am extremely stressed out this last few months with different things happening.

Now waiting to be called for scan... awake all night crying like a baby! just feel so worried about it. i did think it was gallstones but I even showed my mate the results i have and checked up on the net what GGT, ALT, LDH etc etc meant and its all bad stuff!!!! oh god why me!

Thanks so so much Caia for your help though. it was good to hear something that aint bad! thanks again