Liver Disorders Community
Test results.... help?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

Test results.... help?

Hello all. I am new here and I was hoping that someone would be able to shed some light on my most recent test results. Here is a little background. I am 31, female, and in poor health. I have Lyme, Bartonella, Babesiosis, RA, and a list of other health conditions. I was hospitalized in January for an infected port a cath (pseudomonas) which turned into sepsis. I picked up VRE while in the hospital which was treated with 14 days of IV Zyvox. The VRE came back, in my urine, and I was hospitalized again last week and put back on Zyvox (oral this time). I am also on IV clindamycin and azithromycin, and a long list of other medications. While in the hospital they did daily blood work, of course, and my results have gotten progressively worse. They told me to follow up with my pcp, but my pcp is pretty much useless. Doesn't seem to want to deal with me because I am too complicated, which has been the trend over the last few years.

The results I am concerned about are as follows...

Albumin 2.8 (3.4-5.0)
Alkaline Phosphatase 118 (46-116)
ALT 187 (12-78)
AST 129 (13-39)
BUN 6 (8-25)
Calcium 7.8 (8.5-10.1)
Total Protein 5.6 (6-8)

All other serum results are normal. However I do have protein, leukocytes, and microscopic mucus threads in my urine, obvious UTI, but thought it was relevant. I also have a history of chronic UTIs (and other infections) as well as kidney stones, and a liver mass.

I know that this is a lot of information, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you!!!
Jacki
Hi Jacki -

Well, number one I'd get a new doctor, immediately. If your doc can't handle the complexity of things or it's too much bother, he or she should find another line of work. Amazing really! I've gone through several myself and finally put together a team that I'm happy with. Take control yourself.

You really do have to see a new doctor soon. Along with the kidney/urinary issues, you have a liver problem of a hepatocellular nature. This maybe causing the low protein & albumin levels but with the normal A/G ratio and low BUN, you appear to be suffering from malnutrition as well? The low calcium could be your kidneys or the malnutrition, not enough data to tell.

Seriously, get to a new doctor. Preferable a GI but it sounds like you need a good PCP as well. Good luck and let us know how things go.
Thank you for your response. I don't understand how I could be suffering from malnutrition. I eat ok. Not always three meals a day, but I think I do pretty well. What would cause the malnutrition?

Jacki
Not sure if you do have malnutrition, just a possible cause for some of the results you've listed. There are other possible causes as well of course. Even with normal food intake, digestive malabsorption can occur with any number of intestinal problems. But again, malnutrition was just a possibility.

Be aggressive with your doctor(s) and get some answers. Good luck.
Will do. Thank you!