Liver Disorders Community
liver lesions

This support community is for discussions and support relating to liver disorders.

liver lesions

I got a "healthy" CT scan back with liver lesions noted. How do they know whether or not lesions are OK? Do they look different if they are malignant or cystic?
THANKS!
If all they did was say liver lesions noted in their report, the radiologist I feel was being lax in not describing them.  After all, if they are going to mention them, why not describe what kind they think they are and suggest an MRI with contrast if they are unsure what the lesions are?

If the ordering physician is willing, I suggest you ask them to check with the radiologist to see what sort of lesions they are so that their patient (you) can be apprised of it.  If your primary physician has already gone over the CT scan with you and doesn't want to contact the radiologist, you can see if you can contact the radiologist yourself, explaining your doctor has already gone over the findings, but that you would like further detail in the report characterizing what sort of lesions you have.

Further, if there is any doubt in the radiologist's mind that the lesions are benign, I would ask my ordering physician to additionally order cancer marker blood tests (thought these aren't 100 percent able to exclude the possibility of cancer).  See PM for more info.
A lesion on the liver doesn't have to signify cancerous tissue, a lesion can be a scar and/or something benign. Benign lesions are common.

You didn't tell us the reason your doctor ordered a scan. Are you in pain or experiencing discomfort associated with liver disease? Blood draws can help determine if the lesion is malignant. One marker is called the AFP [Alpha Feta Protein]. Get copies of your labs and discuss the exam results with a Hepatologist, a liver disease specialist. You can always Google Search each lab to understand what they mean.
I have been having pain in my right side and around to my back, my dr sent me for an ultrasound, the report came back that I have a polyp on my gallbladder and a lesion on my liver... suggested that I followup with a surgeon but can't get in to see him until 7/15... I am at a loss at to both diagnosis.. never heard of a gallbladder polyp and was shocked by the liver lesion... can you clarify what each of these could be caused from or what I might expect???