Liver Transplant Expert Forum
Liver

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

Liver
Hi Doctor,

I am a Hodgkin lymphoma survivor since 2006.  I see my oncologist every 6 months for CBC.  I went to urgent care in January due to abdominal pain.  Also, had a cat scan with barium.  Here are my results:

The liver is homogeneous in appearance but reveals overall decreased attenuation consistent with fatty infiltration.  The spleen, pancreas as well as both kidneys are unremarkable.  No masses.

ALP: 63
ALT: 25
AST: 29
TBili: 1.70
ALB: 4.60
TProt: 8.10

I am very nervous about my liver...can you please help me make sense of this.  My oncologist and Gastro doctor say it is fine, but I have been reading up on "fatty liver" and an confused!

Thanks,
fatty liver is the most common cause of having abnormal liver tests; yours are normal currently.  Chemo can cause fatty liver and patients develop it in the setting of overweight and diabetes.  With normal liver tests i wouldn't worry and would follow the liver tests expectantly.  Congratulations on being a Hodgkins' survivor.
Thank you, Dr.Schiano!  

I am not sure what decreased attenuation is?  Do you think I need further tests done?  I am just so worried!  Chemo was so grueling and am worried about the aftermath.

Thank you for your time!

Bella
decreased attentuation may mean fatty infiltration