Liver Transplant Expert Forum
bilirubin levels

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

bilirubin levels
I had a blood bilirubin test a month ago: Direct 0.5 indirect 1.7total 2.2, one week later they were :direct .05 indirect 1.1, total 1.6 two week later direct .03 indirect 1.2 total 1.5 but today it was  direct 0.2 and indirect 1.7 total 1.9,
I have been recoverin of a couple infection one in stomach the other in respiratory sistem, can it be the reason of the increase of the indirect bilirubin?
it could definitely be but you may also have gilbert's disease (bengign disorder) which can worsen during an infection.
Thanks a lot for your answer, as an aditional fact,
the day that I took my last blood test,(with high indirect Bilirubin), I had fever at night due to a very strong flu!, A month ago I was diagnosed with fatty liver, and since then I`ve taking meneparol Plus twice a day and Dr. Smith e vitamin.(sorry about my grammar).
you can definitely have a touch of fatty liver with gilbert's disease.  the vitamin E is recommended.
I used to drink beer at nigths very often, almost daily, I found this problems by accident, as a rutinary check,(without symtoms)do you think this could be the end of me as a beer drinker? I mean after the levels get normal if they ever.
i definitely would NEVER drink anything to excess.  you must you use judgement.  All alcohol is the same.
Thanks Again!
I mentioned that use to drink beer on a daily basis, so you coud have an idea of my habits,
and being honest, but threre were all within certain limints, and it did not represented  a problem for me or the people around me!
I had a blood test today (again) Bilirubin direct 0.4 , indirect 1.0 total:1.4, last week:1.9,
since some laboratory differ with the normal limits, my question is: what is the aceptable Range?
my height is 5.75 feet, weight 175 pounds, age 35, since I had knowledge of my fatty liver 36 days ago I lost 10 pounds, eating healthy , without beer and a couple infections and a flu.
i think that you are doing very well.  the direct fraction of the bilirubin is the more important value and is well within the normal range.  keep up the good work.
Good day, I don´t want to sound paranoic about my bilirubins levels,
I took another blood test, the total is almost the same than a week ago,
Last week: Total 1.4
This week is 1.5 but the direct bilirubin went down a bit from 0.5 to 0.3 and
the indirect 1.2 so it went up because it was 1.0, my question is:
is it normal this fluctuation, and when should I pay attention to the indirect
bilirubin level?
Thanks again!
this type of fluctuation is quite the norm.  in fact, during periods of fasting the indirect fraction can increase appreciably. rarely the increased indirect bilirubin could also be due to hemolysis but other elements of the blood count would typically also be abnormal.
I took another blood test, The direct bilirubin :0.3 , indirect 1.9 (went up),
but :ALAT/TGP, ASAT/TGO and alkaline phosphate they were all within normal range,
should I worry for the indirect bilirubin?
no--I think this is gilbert's
Good day Doctor,
When someone has fatty liver , in how lonng ( in days) someone can take
another  abdominal ultrasound and espect to see improvement, as I mentioned
days ago I lost 15 pounds and I was not a fat person, far from that, I had a little
belly (caused by beer), I have been eating healthy, I did drink some beers, but
no more than 6 days in two month, I mentioned that I use to drink beer daily.
Again Thanks a lot.
unfortunately you would not expect to find a demonstrable improvement in the ultrasound results.  improvement in blood tests or between 2 biopsies would be the objective improvement.  i think that if you continue the current course you should be OK.
Thanks a lot Doctor,
In that case I won`t take another ultrasound, (ALAT/TGP, ASAT/TGO and alkaline phosphate), are this the test I should be taking? or what you suggest?
these are the ones that you should follow as well as alkaline phosphatase and GGTP.  good luck.
Doctor, my bilirubin direct is .09 an the direct only 1.2 makin a total of 2.1, but well, I will wait  at least a couple of month to write about this again!, thanks for everything!!
i think you will continue to be fine.
Good Day Doctor,

Is diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver, and fatty liver the same thing?
yes
If the transplanted liver had, say, 20% micro vascular steatosis, can that be reversed or reduced by diet or is it somehow genetic to the liver?  Is 20% a bad amount and what does it mean?
absolutely it can be reversed.  this most likely is not genetic in nature.  20% is not a bad amount
Good Day Doctor,
As My fatty liver treatment I`m taking Meneparol Plus cover with B vitamin(twice a day),It´s component is mostly silymarin 80% 94.00 mg,Thiamine 5.00 mg, nicotinamide 15. mg...and others,
my query is:if on a weekend or any other day I have a couple drinks in mind, do I have to skip the pils for the entire day or just the the one that I usualy take at night?
Thank for all your help.