Liver Transplant Expert Forum
qualifications for liver transplant

Questions posted in the Liver Transplant . Forum are answered by medical professionals from The Mount Sinai Medical Center.

qualifications for liver transplant

Hello Dr,
I'm curious as to what the qualifications are for becoming a recipient for a liver transplant? Besides the obvious is there a certain criteria like no smoking, drinking etc.. I'm a 55 yr old female who was diagnosed with hep c 10 yrs ago at the time the Dr told me I didn't need to get treatment wish I had known better. I'm now going to start treatment if possible my platelets are pretty low 37,000 I have no idea what my VL is I have been told there are signs of cirrhosis. I'm not symptomatic at this time other then being a little tired I bruise easier than before and have dry skin assuming dry skin is attributed to liver problems, I feel fine. I just like to know my options if all else fails is a transplant a possibility? Thank you for your time........
with the emergence of the new antiviral agents for HCV, i think you should consider treatment despite your platelet count as HCV can recur and pose a problem post-transplant.  One's severity of illness and MELD score dictate their transplantability.  You seem to have well compensated cirrhosis--about 50% of people will develop a complication within 10 years that would dictate being seen in a liver transplant center.  You must remember that there is an approximate 3% annual risk cumulatively of developing HCC which is the wild card and might push one to transplant sooner.  Its in your best interest to hold out as long as possible without going for a transplant.
Dr Schiano,
     Thank you for your prompt response. I don't know what a MELD score is or what HCC means I apologise for my ignorance in this area but my last Dr was not very forth coming with information or explanations. You also said it seems I have well compensated cirrhosis. Assuming its through a large part of my liver, yet I had a scope done and it came back showing nothing. I'm having another on the 18Th of this month hopefully it comes back the same. If someone has cirrhosis and the treatment works does the liver function remain as it is or does it get better to a point? I know the liver is the only organ we have that can rejuvenate except if you have cirrhosis is this information correct? Dr thank you for answering my question's I am hopeful the treatment will work and a transplant not be in my future but only time will tell. Again Thank You !!
please look up MELD score on line as this is the parameter in which severity of liver disease is now graded and its where patients are placed on liver transplant waiting lists.  This is a very important concept. HCC is primary hepatocellular cancer that arises in cirrhosis.  If the inciting cause of the cirrhosis can be adequately treated (HCV) then over a long period of time cirrhosis can regress.
Thank you Doctor for that information now I have a little hope if treatment works.Have a Happy Easter!! Thank you again....