Lung Cancer Community
could mass on x-ray be phlegm?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung cancer.

could mass on x-ray be phlegm?

I went to an after hours clinic the last week of March with a temp of 103.1 and shortness of breath. It was closing time by the time I was done. Doc said I had bronchitis, pharyngitis, viral infection, and strep throat. He did a chest x-ray to make sure I didn't have pneumonia. We watched the x-ray come up on the computer and my whole left lung was like a cloud. He said no pneumonia and to go to my doctors office in 2 days but i didn't. well, 3 weeks later, my docs office calls and tells me that they got my x-ray , what did i go to clinic for and there is a mass on my chest wall, come in next day. When i got there he said i have a 3 cm mass on left lung with a cause for concern. I go to lung specialist on may 3rd and am a wreck in the meantime. I will have a ct scan and have to wait again, i have lost 16 lbs. since July but my mom passed away last may from liver and lung cancer w/in 10 days of finding out. I didn't question that er doc bc i figured if that "cloud" was anything he would say something. I am wondering if anyone knows if phlegm could show up as a mass. I had hurt my rib so bad from coughing that i couldn't get a good cough out but while at clinic i coughed up nasty hard chunk stuff but couldn't at home.
I am very sorry to hear your news.  My husband passed away at Christmas from lung cancer.  I have never heard of any type of mucus or phlegm shadowing an x-ray.  However 3 ct. tumor is not as big as my husband's and you may have a shot at lung removal and containment.  Do hurry to the Dr's and get things rolling.  I will pray for you.
you could try to visit this site http://besthealthoptions.com/cancer. you might find some useful information about your concern. gud day!
Good Luck!  

I just started chemo for limited stage small cell lung cancer.

I went to the dr because I was coughing and had shortness of breath; diagnosis pneumonia.  X-ray showed mass on lung in addition to pneumonia.  Everything after that happened very fast --- scans, surgeon, biopsy, oncologist, chemo --- about 3 weeks.

You might get lucky, but if you've ever smoked, I'd bet on lung cancer.  I quit smoking years ago.  Were it not for the pneumonia, the cancer would still be growing and killing me.  Now at least I have a reasonable chance.

It's a difficult time not knowing, but they will know from the CT scan whether it's cancer or not.  Then your head will spin with how fast everything happens.

My thoughts are with you.
Thank you so much for your time and for some hope. I didn't mention that I am only 31 years old, I still smoke menthols, have for 16 yrs. and I smoked marijuana for 13 yrs. which 4 of those are equal to 112 cigarettes. I was a dumb teen and young adult I guess. I don't really have any symptoms, I cough bad in morning as usual but I have been waking up with a headache everyday but that could be the female thing. Sometimes i get shortness of breath but before my mom died, before she even had her transplant I used her lung machine and she had more lung power than I did. I couldn't even get the ball up a quarter of the way. I get bronchitis BAD at least once a year. What are the chances that the mass is just an infection or something? Does anyone know? Thank you so much and I wish you well in your recovery and may God Bless you tremendously!!!
Hope you can quit smoking altogether. There is a chance it is an infection or something else innocuous. On the other hand there is a chance of it being something very serious. The earlier you determine which the better chance you have of getting it treated. Don't delay any more, go and get it checked.
Good luck.
phlegm or mucus are too dense to appear as masses.
you need the mass biopsied and sent for analysis by a pathologist to determine if there is a malagnancy or benign.   a ct thorax w/contrast is warranted.
if you feel your md is not aggressive enough or competent, change.
Phelgm and mucous can definitely appear as a mass on a CT scan.It happened to me.After the scan I coughed up gunky stuff as I had done before. Six weeks later a Ct scan was done and the results on the lung scan were clear as a bell.I had been plagued with pleurisy in the past and blood pressure meds had made it difficult to cough out and clear my lungs.Before you submit yourself to extensive invasive testing,decide what is best for you.Sometimes test which are not needed can cause more problems than the initial aggravation.  Love 2 you.

sutraquio
Have you ever been near a house demolition or renovation work or work as a tradesman or live in NY after 911
i have the same symptoms and mine is from asbestos (blue)
i get really bad phlem ,cough ,headaches,occasional fever. its gradually getting worse the symptoms have been with me for 4 years now
asbestos only shows up in the ct scan basically when your lungs is a big black tumor and a cloud of white shows (the asbestos dust) depending on exposure level type of asbestos people can die within 5 to 50 years since initial exposure
Does anyone know what happened with this woman? my wife just got called back to the hostpital because they found grey masses in both of her lungs.. they want to do a cloe up x ray.. im am very concerened and would like to know how this turned out for  lgordon62000
I am only 23 and I smoke as well. I had an x-ray done of my lungs after I had my fourth son via c-section. I was gasping for air and I couldn't talk without the urge to cough. The x-ray showed that I have a quarter sized mass on my left lung.....they told me that I needed to see my family doctor for further inspection. Well that was six months ago and I still havn't seen my doctor to do a follow up. I guess it is because I am just too affraid! Both sets of grandparents died from cancer so my chances are very high plus I smoke so its basically a death wish for me. I have been coughing much more and having sharp shooting pain in my chest and it shoots down the side of my arm....I am really affraid to find out what is wrong.....but I have made a doctors appointment for next week.....I will keep you in my prayers!