Lung Cancer Expert Forum
death from lung cancers, symptoms

Welcome to the International Lung Cancer forum. Questions related to lung cancer will be answered by a medical doctor.

death from lung cancers, symptoms

My father died from lung cancer three weeks ago. It was metastaci lung cancer, but as he could not speak three days before dying, I was not able to communicate with him, but now am very very much concerned did he died while suffering terribly.
Last days his condition was as follows:
Friday- August 7th- could not talk after a week of weak voice, no eating and almost not drinking except little water.
No medication; In the evening ambulance came and given low blood pressure and difficulty in breething got mediacation.
Saturday,, mostly the same, could not swallow or drink . Water was given in drops;
Saturday night, crisis with breething and concsiounsness, no energy and no coordination;
Sunday- more or less the same, while he was somehow restless,, and again breething problems, doctor came and gave him some medication to ease the breething as well as to calm him;
Sunday night- statred to produce unuusual breething sounds, high ones as well as interrupted ones.
Monday- mostly the same, whole day did not change the position of the body,, while breething like that, it has lasted until Thuesday evening, and I was not aware was he consciosness or not, was sitting by his side, and gently massaged him whole time. Thuesday night, he contiuned having to breethe 28 seconds  while producing big sound and then no breething at all, that that has contined, no breething and high sound breething intervals until six thirty am next morning Wendesday when his heart stopped and death came.

Since he could not communicate last days, I am so so concerned and sorry and afraid that he had suffered terribly last days but was not able to convey it.

I would appreciate very much your comment based on what I have explained and would very much appreaciate your reply and would willing provide more details.
I am truly sorry to hear of your fathers death from advanced lung cancer. Caring for terminally ill cacer patients can be traumatic for family members and other caregivers.
Based on your description, and from my experience of caring for many patients with advanced cancer, I feel that there was perhaps nothing more that you or your doctors could have done to make your father more comfortable. I sincerely believe that your father has not "suffered terribly" during his last days. Even if he was in the best cancer hospital in the world, it would not have made a dramatic difference. So please do not harbor any guilt or sadness.
Please be reassured that you have been a very loving and sensitive daughter, and have done all that was possible to keep him comfortable.
Please be strong. God bless you.
Dr Saini
Dear Doctor,

Thank you very much for your message of support and your explanation. I sincerely hope that my father did not spend his last days in agony and your assurance was really a releif. But, we never know!
Given that he did not have pain while he was able to communicate meaning three to four days before, is it likely, based on your experience that he ended his life while being in pain? I do very deeply apologise for insisting on this fact and would like to thank you again for your kind support.

Thank you in advance.
He must have been in some discomfort for sure, but I do not believe that he was in severe pain or agony during his final days.
Please be reassured in this regard.
Good Luck.
Dr Saini
Dear Doctor,

Just wanted to thank you again for you message and support.

Very very much grateful.  
A related discussion, lung. spindle cell carinoma was started.
A related discussion, Final stages of lung cancer was started.