Lyme Disease Community
Brain Swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Brain Swelling

I just called to get the results of another MRI test and it shows the same as before. Protrusion of my left lateral ventrical. I am so over everything i just want to quit and give up. I cant sleep between the pain, fever and whooshing sounds...I am mega depressed to the point of telling my lawyer i was suicidal, i have a call in to my doc for an appt to a shrink. What is causing this?? I have been going to one doc or another for over 2 years now and am worse now than i have ever been!!!!! Everyone in my small family is sick of hearing about it so i have to suck it up and try to function. But its got to where i cant function anymore and dont give a damn if i do or not.

Does anyone have any ideas at all or comments on what could be the cause of this brain swelling? Is this common with Lymes disease? I have another round of blood tests sent off for Lyme Titor and the results are not back yet. The past test results was inconclusive.
Have you had this evaluated by a neurologist and or neurosurgeon?
I'm no doctor, but 'pain, fever and whooshing sounds' don't sound like your imagination at work.

What kind of MDs have you been seeing, and what tests have they run?

Above all, don't give up. You're among friends here.
The nuro doc i saw was a joke in my opinion, he saw no tumor or cancer so i walked the last visit with a RX of Motrin. I threw it away! I was pissed off, crying and went to the ER because of the pain ect...

The doc i am seeing now is an infectious disease doctor. She is running more lyme tests and blood work. all sorts of things. I am confident she will find out the reasons for this.

The lyme test i had before was inconclusive so the quack nuro doc assumed i did NOT have lyme disease but couldnt care less what my problem was. So thats when he game me the Motrin and i got pissed. I left and have not been back! I have not got my blood work back yet so i will have to wait. Thanks
I don't know what the significance of your finding is but I would ask a doctor.  What did the neurologist say about it?  He or she had to give some explanation as to what it was.  Sometimes things seen on test results are not considered important by doctors.  I found out I had a Chiari malformation and a meningioma on my brain MRI.  The doctor never told me about either.  I got copies of my reports on my own and saw them.  I was worried but more than one neurologist told me both were incidental findings and were not causing any of problems and not to worry.   I didn't like any of the neuro docs I saw either but I do believe they knew what they were taking about regarding my test results.  None knew anything about lyme though.

Sounds like you need a proper explanation.  That way you will know whether the protruding ventricle is something you were born with, developed or whatever.
I too have been dealinf with Lyme in my brain.  Mine turned up encompassing 75% of my pons which is near or basically part of the brainstem.  I had a MRI before along with a posotive Lyme test from Igenex Lab.  One year of daily IV antibiotics followed by 4 months of orals.  I then had a post MRI after treament , the white matter turned into disorganized gray matter, still in severe neuro and arthric pain however I got most of my brain back.  It's been 3 years or 4, my family of origin was not supportive but my husband was.  Please find supportive people in the Lyme community, thry will really help you.  Remember everyone's illness is a little different depending on what part of the brain it hits plus co-infections you may have gotten and another factor is how immune comprimised you are.
I went thru many neurologists not educated in Lyme actually I got my biggest help from a medicalresident from Michigan who had experenced Lyme patients and had a clue.
Don't give up!  Shop for the right Dr.

Best to you in your recovery road,
GayleRN