Lyme Disease Community
Finding a Doctor in N.Virginia

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Finding a Doctor in N.Virginia

My daughter was treated for lyme disease after having it for sometime.  She has many symptoms even after treatment...chronic fatigue, chronic pain...just no energy always feeling poorly.  I was hoping to find a doctor in Northern Virginia to help with some of these awful symptoms.  Thanks for your help.
Welcome to MedHelp -- sorry to hear what your daughter is going through.

I would do what you are:  get a second opinion from someone with a broader view of Lyme diagnosis and treatment.

Someone here may send you a private message through this website with specific recommendations of a NoVA Lyme specialist -- we don't post Lyme docs' names in the open here unless they have already 'outed' themselves, because some state and local medical boards can cause problems for docs who treat Lyme and its co-infections more aggressively.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just searched

virginia lyme disease association

to see what would pop up, and there is a wide variety of possibilities -- by taking a quick look at some of them you can usually tell if their members/organizers are on the more aggressive side of diagnosis and treatment.  
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, you can email to:

contact [at] ILADS [dot] org

and tell them where you are located and how far you can travel -- they will email you back with name(s) of ILADS-member docs if they have any nearby, and I imagine they do in VA.  ILADS (Intl Lyme and Associated Diseases Society) is the main voluntary group for doc who think more progressive thoughts about Lyme and its diagnosis and treatment.

ILADS also has a mass of information at their website about Lyme and the other infections the Lyme ticks often carry.  In particular is a document posted there of diagnostic hints and treatment guidelines that you may find interesting.  It's all a bit overwhelming at first, but it will begin to make sense.  
------------------------------------------------------------------
You may also get (private) messages from others who post here who have suggestions of docs in your area.

I would do exactly as you are doing:  get a second opinion.  Let us know if we can help further -- check back because someone else may have better approaches than I've suggested above for finding a NoVA LLMD.  (PS LLMD is not a title, it's patient slang for 'Lyme Literate MD', meaning a doc who thinks bigger thoughts about Lyme.)

Let us know how it goes and if we can help -- best wishes to your family.  J
I am from No Va and can give you the names of the good LLMD. Just PM me and I will be glad to help.