Lyme Disease Community
New Low. Decaf coffee mistake.

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

New Low. Decaf coffee mistake.

Here goes the worse panic attack I've ever had if that's what you can call this.  I clearly said "decaf" but I guess she didn't hear me.  Won't even risk it next time.  Had to leave work. Whole body shaking. Can barely stand. Jaw muscles, neck muscles, all muscles totally seizing up on me.  Big mistake.  Feels like heat stroke without the heat.  Probably best for us to stay away from caffeine during treatment.  Holy crap ill never try coffee again.  Laying down waiting for my body to settle enough to get the Epsom salt bath going.

God I hope this new low is the lowest this thing gets. I really can't handle much more of this freaking lyme thing.

There are some herbal teas that may be soothing, you might look into that after you've peeled yourself off the ceiling.  Really sorry to hear about the coffee thing.  Hope the bath helps.  Let us know how you do --
Just left the urgent care with a prescrip for Xanax. At this point I'm gonna give in and take it..   Still feel like absolute crap.

This almost makes me wonder if Lyme's primary symptom is just anxiety which in turn makes all these other horrible things happen.  
Surprisingly the bath and Xanax didn't help as much as I thought.  Still feel very tense and short of breath.  Perhaps it's just time to go to bed and erase this whole night from my life.
You might feel better when the caffeine is completely out of your system .... might take a little while to come down, just because the whole nervous system can be on hyper-alert just from the Lyme itself.  It's not a character flaw or anything ... it's just body chemistry, and it's often part of Lyme.

I hope you feel better in the morning.  Keep us posted --
Thanks. After 6 hours things finally calmed down.  Never ever again with coffee.  Learned my lesson there holy crap.

This condition is no joke. I'm just glad I'm finally treating it.
Good, glad to hear it!  Take care.
I have also had episodes like what you've described, only it didn't require coffee to trigger it, just doing too much physical activity.  I remember times when it took six hours of lying down to finally settle down and feel better. Once I sat there for 90 minutes trying to calm myself to get my heart rate from 125 down to 100.  (A scrip from my GP for metoprolol has helped. I am still on it over a year later.)

It does feel like crap. I am glad you're feeling a bit better.  Definitely no more caffeine for a while.
Both the caffeine and the exercise trigger a massive release of hormones form the Adrenal glands. It's the mix of lot sof adrenaline and cortisol that make you feel so awful. When we have lyme we tend to lose control of these glands anyway, and i think we are hypersensitive to their hormones as well.
I hope it is passing now, pally.
The only thing I know that can help at all is to drink lots of water, which helps flush the old hormones out. Not exactly a mirace remedy! It takes time and is best to rest very calmly, like you're doing.
All the best.
BTw you need to avoid not only caffeine but alos chocolate to avoid making your adrenal glands go wild.