Lyme Disease Community
Should I stop my Doxy so I can get the Western Blot sooner?

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

Most of you know my story - positive ELISA and unexplained neuro symtpoms.  I am going to my neuro tomorrow and my family doc had put me on Doxy for 10 days, refusing to do a Western Blot.  Some of you have expressed concern (good idea by the way) that I could cause my Western Blot (which I've heard my neuro will readily order) to be skewed from the antibiotic.  I want answers quick, specifically the results from the WB, so I'm thinking I should stop the med today.  I have 5 days left of the 10 day course.  Thanks for any ideas!
100%
 (1) 
Yes
0%
 (0) 
No
0%
 (0) 
Maybe
1 Member voted
No one can tell you what to do but I can tell you what "I" would do if it were me.  First of all if you have chronic lyme 10 days of doxy will do basically nothing to cure it.  It may however work like an antibiotic challenge and help the WB to be positive.  So I would finish it, wait the 10-14 days, then get the WB.  With as long as you have had this what's 2 more weeks?   This is just my opinion on what I would do.  I would see what the neuro says too because generally, and I think most will agree with me, neuro's are pretty unreceptive to lyme and will basically write it off as a possibility.  I suspect you will end up making an appt. with a llmd.
Sorry I hit the wrong button the the poll.  I meant to say no.
:) that's okay about the voting.  I just thought I'd try the nifty buttons.  I can definitely see your point.  I called a friend with Lyme to ask the question as well, I'll update with what I decided.  I think I have a neuro that will listen, once I get there in a face-to-face appt.  He has treated a few other Lyme pt.s from what I hear.  I also already talked to his nurse who said the WB would be from Igenex in CA and would be $475 (I may have posted that already, oh well).  So, I think they are prepared to do it the right way.  I believe he consults with an LLMD in VA.  We'll find out about 5pm tomorrow!  

PS...side note:  Today, I am actually having weird burning sensations on the top of my hands and in my ear canals.  Weird how it moves around and picks certain body parts - whatever "it" is.  
It moves from minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day.  I get burning all over.  Even on the top of my head.
Wow, I didn't know others had burning like this.  Very interesting!  It's my main complaint, and then fatigue.  It seems as though the painful burning (sometimes its just annoying burning) makes me feel tired.  
Gee, I wish I knew the answer, but I have no idea.  I tend to think that what patsy10 says makes sense:  if you have been suffering from Lyme for this long, I'm not sure the doxy will make a big difference.

I've told you and the forum before that the blood work honestly didn't mean much to me in the end.  I knew I clinically fit, and sought out an ILADS LLMD who agreed.

If your doctors are following IDSA guidelines, then you may need to worry more about how the doxy could influence your test results.