Lyme Disease Community
What I learned about my MTHFR gene mutation.

This forum is for questions and support regarding What Causes Lyme Disease, Diagnosing Lyme Disease, and Joint Pain. Topics for discussion also include Living with Lyme Disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Anaplasmosis, other Tick Borne Diseases, Nervous System issues, Prevention, Risk Factors, Skin Disorders, Symptoms and Treatments

If you do the 23andme test then you have access to all of the info that you need at mthfr.org.  Go to the website and download that raw data.  With your raw data downloaded, you will want to visit our Reports and Consults page. Here you will start the process of uploading your data to create your MTHFR Support Variant Report.  Apparently, they provide a lot of services like what you mutation means for you and what sort of things you can do to remedy issues your mutation may be causing.

I, personally, did not get all of the bells and whistles that 23andme offers.  My LLMD ordered my MTHFR test and breezed by my results and said nothing more about it. Since she had access to 23andme, Mojogal was kind enough to look up what my mutation means for me and passed the info along.  

I have a single mutation  A1298C.  I knew, thanks to Mojogal, that it means I have issues with being able to rid myself of toxins, but beyond maybe... charcoal???... I didn't know what to do about it.  Recently, on a FB group I read someone mention methylation
" methylation should help. Once you get methylation in check its amazing how much more efficient the body works!"
so I asked "What's methylation?"
Answer: "Using methyl donors to help open up detox pathways and aid the immune system to fight back. Helps to support brain, liver and adrenals and nurse them back to life. Absolutely necessary for optimal function. Methylfolate or folinic acid is preferable over folic acid. The body can't process folic acid. Its synthetic. Also b-12. I like this live formula from premier research labs... I also use additional B12 hydroxycobalamin... "

Apparently, there is a different methylation protocol for different mutations, but if you have A1298C, like me here's what you should take:
I read that *THORNE RESEARCH - 5-MTHF (5-Methyltetrahydrofolate) - 1mg 60's and Jarrow Formulas Methyl-B12, 1000mcg, 100 Lozenges* is best for this mutation.  They are available on amazon and a host of other websites that offer nutritional supplements.

go to www.mthfra1298c.com for more detailed info.

I hope this post is helpful... I am having a particularly difficult "flare up" right now, so my brain is here and there:/

Just to add to what Leilajax mentioned. If you get your tests done at 23andme, you download your results and upload them to Genetic Genie to get an informational report.

I had two MTHFR mutations. Many Lymies that I know have at least one mutation making it harder to detox.
Just on a personal level I found Pure Encapsulations- homocystein factors to work best as it seems you need both 5MTHF and methylcobalamine and TMG simulaneously for optimal results. I use takesumi for detox as it has much more adsorption properties than regular charcoal.
To make myself clear----- I will probably take the 23andme test in the fairly near future.

Forbes has some input into the 23andme test.

http://tinyurl.com/auqalaz

First Forbes explained it and brought up the 'downside of it' ---the 'stressing out' about the findings which can 'harm us' by conferring other 'complications' upon us simply by the fear of a possible disease happening. Just because your test shows you have a genetic flaw that might give you, say, lung cancer, is absolutely no guarantee that you''ll get lung cancer! It might also induce the 'fearful patient' to stop smoking!

But then the article went on:

"This brings up a different question: if personalized genomics can’t yet help us much and could possibly hurt us—where’s the upside?

Turns out there’s a big upside: Citizen science. SNP tests are not yet viable because we need more info. 23andme talks about the “power of one million people,” meaning, if one million take these tests then the resulting genetic database could lead to big research breakthroughs and these could lead to all sorts of health/performance improvements.

This is what 23andme is really selling for $99 bucks a pop—a crowdsourced shot at unraveling a few more DNA mysteries."
I also had the mutation for breast cancer and got all freaked out. My LLMD assured me it doesn't mean I will get it.
True----- but I bet you self-exam your breasts more regularly now, right? (grin)

Modification of habits/eating/behavior is just another benefit of the tests.
So if my doc ordered a MTHFR blood test, does this mean I did not get tested for ALL gene mutations?

noach, thanks for the supplement tips:)
Correct leilajax. 23andme shows many mutations if you have them.
Gah, do you recommend me finding them all out?  I'm nervous that I would be exactly like cave states.  I'm pretty sure I would be a paranoid mess.
To get ALL gene mutations would be horribly expensive if even possible at this point.
" I'm pretty sure I would be a paranoid mess."

I wouldn't presume to tell you whether or not to take that test. You do seem to be 'fragile'.

I always want to know 'everything' but that's just me.
I thought the 23andme covered pretty much all gene mutations for $99, no?

LOL, yes I am indeed fragile.  I am barely getting through this Lyme and hashi combo:(
Also, noach, if you check back in... Do you have any insight as to where to best buy the supplements that you recommended?
Thanks:)