Maternal & Child Community
Bleeding in 5th week of pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Bleeding in 5th week of pregnancy

I am 5 weeks pregnant and have started to bleed bright red blood.  It is more than just spotting, but certainly not clotting.  It is accompanied with cramps.  The doctor can't tell anything from the sonogram, so he did some blood work.  I'm going to find out in a couple of days if the baby is still alive or if I've miscarried.  Has anyone else experienced this?

It's not brown blood, so I know its not from implantation.
I wish you the very best, April.  It'll be good to get the blood work because you'll definitely have some answers.  How long have you been bleeding?  What are the cramps like?  I don't want this to discourage you, but I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks last September and I had bleeding and cramps.  I really hope that's not the case for you though!  I have heard of women bleeding off and on during early pregnancy and having healthy pregnancies.  And cramping is very common in early pregnancy...I had three weeks of cramping with my current pregnancy.  I'll say a prayer for you!  Please let us know when you find out what's going on.  God Bless!
This is probably a stupid question, but I was just wondering how you found out so early that you were 5 weeks pregnant.  Did you take a HPT when your AF was due and it came out positive and you immediately went to the Drs to have an blood work/US done to confirm?  The reason I am asking is because I thought I could be pregnant 2 weeks ago,which would have been 4 weeks pregnant (or 14 DPO) because I had brown spotting off and on again for a week  on the tp when I wiped, then 2 days of heavy cramps and dark red bleeding, then nothing for a day, then back to brown spotting on tp for a couple days, then ended yesterday.  I took a HPT on 15 DPO, but was BFN, and again yesterday (28 DPO)and again BFN.  However, I have been crampy and bloated-feeling in the lower abdomen for the last few weeks and never got a "normal" period, and I have felt a little queasy on a couple occasions.  I called my doctor yesterday to see about having a blood test done, and the NP scheduled me for this Mon., but then 2 minutes later she called back and her and my doctor wanted to know my last normal AF date. I told her it was June 27 and now my doctor wants me to wait until Aug. 21st to get a blood test, and then meet with her the following week on the 30th of this month. She said something about wanting to postpone it till then to see if/when I am ovulating.  They don't think I am pregnant, as far as I can tell.  I want to be so bad, but I guess I am not.  =(     I told my husband that tonight we are going to start to BD again because I want this month to be the month I get the BFP!!   Comments to this are most welcomed and much appreciated.  I posted my first post back on the 9th titled "late and heavy implantation bleeding" if anyone wants more details. I am a newcomer to this Forum and was very happy to find it.  You all seem to be so supportive of one another.  I am looking forward to the day I can share my happy news with all of you!!  Till then... sticky baby dust to all of you!!  Thanks!
I bled at 5 weeks
the doc did nothing but told me to relax
I delivered a healthy baby
try to relax - the more upset I became the more I bled
Thanks, April.  I hope your blood test brings you good news.  I will be praying for you.
I had a miscarriage earlier this year, but I had significant clotting.  I knew right away what was happening.  This time it is different.  Thanks, Crystal- I didn't know cramping was so normal.  I thought something was wrong.  Thanks for the prayer!!  And Hill- I found out I was pregnant by taking two home pregnancy tests.  I know what blood work you are talking about though, they have to wait until after you ovulate to make sure your testosterone levels, etc...are all normal.  We've been trying for over a year, now, so I'm hopeful but not too hopeful.  I'll let you know how it goes...
Thanks, that gives me hope.  Were you a nervous wreck though, through your whole pregnancy?  I think I'd be worried something would be wrong.
well i am going on 8 weeks and i have been spotting and lightly bleeding for the last 2 weeks. had an ultrasound and it showed a sac, fetal pole and heartbeat. having another one next week. don't you think i would have had an miscarriage by now? my hcg levels are going up too. anyonw else have these problems? or know anyone who has? i need answers, it is a while until i am in my second trimester when miscarriages diminish.
Okay so I am in the same situation as some of you. I am 5weeks and started spotting light pink on 8/11 went to the ER they said my cervix is closed and my HCG levels were around 4800. As of yesterday I started spotting bright red. I went back to the doctor today and she said once again my cervix is closed but my HCG levels were only around 6700 and that they should have doubled in 48hrs. So the doctor said I am in the grey area. She said that bleeding is not normal but does happen. I am going back in on Wed. for a sonogram to see if she can hear a heart beat or see something. I am so nervous and freaking out here! I will let you know what I find out.
I just wanted to follow up with my last post for everyone who has questions of their own. I had a transvaginal ultrasound done yesterday after my hcg levels only went by 2,000 every 48hrs again early yesterday morning. The gestational age of the fetus is only measuring at 4weeks and 6days. I am supose to be 6weeks. They said due to my hcg level count I should be 6weeks. There was a fetal pole visable but they don't have any hope.

They said I should start spotting again in a few days followed by cramps. They think the baby stopped growing at the 4week mark. I am going in for another hcg level test on Friday if my levels are still rising than off to another Ultrasound. I have come to terms that I miscarried. Hope everyone elses dr visits went better.
I am going through the exact same thing I am 5 weeks and experiencing the bleeding. I have taken the blood test but I won't have any results for a couple days. And actually my doctor said that the 5 weeks is a little early for the ultrasound machine to pick up images of the baby. I was told that the baby doesn't actually show up till people are 7 weeks pregnant. So if I were you I would pray about your situation because you may not have miscarried. I also have a cousin who went through the same thing and is having a healthy baby so doctors don't know everything!!!
You are so right Doctors don't know it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My God Mother had a regular monthly period all the way until she was 6 months pregnant and had a healthy baby..

Everybodies body is different..

Good Luck and Gos Bless.............
I recently found out I was pregnant. However, over the past few days I have began to bleed and had bright red blood. I have bled thru 2 pads. Did I miscarry??? Please help I am so scared I have lost this baby.
I thought I was 7 weeks pregnant and began a red spotting. I continued to spot a brown color for about  week. So I went into the Dr. to check it out. She ordered an ultrasound the next day. Only the US revealed only a yolk sac, no heartbeat and that I was closer to 5 1/2 weeks instead of 7. Just yesterday morning I had a big rush of blood (bright red) and passed a few clots. I had to do blood work and then my doctor sent me to the ER (all day yesterday) was not happy about that. However they were unable to really determine anything (between US, pelvic exam, urine, blood, etc) really a frustrating day. I have to go back on Mon now to check my blood and compare hormone levels. It seems that this is the only viable test. I just wish someone would have told me this first. I would have skipped the ER. I wish I could tell you you are not miscarrying but right now I guess I'm sitting in the same worried boat. I think I am most concerned about the clots and a molar pregnancy.
5 weeks, on Christmas Eve, and woke up to find bright red blood in my urine.  My basal temps have been low past 3 days.  Guess there's not much hope - but still looking for optimism among your posts - did any of you above end up carrying those pregnancies to term?  I hope so for your sakes too!