Maternal & Child Community
GETTING LABOR STARTED

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

GETTING LABOR STARTED

Does anyone know how to get labor started or how to get dilated more then what you already are? I am only 1cm dilated my due date is May 3 and i am getting kinda sick of being pregnant and i really don't wanna be one of those women who go 2 weeks after the due date. I know the typical walking having sex exercising things to do. I walk about 20 mins a day i dont know if that is enough if i should walk more or what. I don't have sex because i don't have a partner (single mom i know its horrible) and right now i am too sore to exercise which i am sure if i did exercise i wouldn't be sore. Does anyone know anything else that might help this process along? Or if i am doing something wrong. I am starting to think that all the remedies to getting labor started are all a myth LOL but who knows. Anyone have any opinions or advice?
WALK A LOT!!!! I went shopping at a real big mall with my mother the day before I went into Labor. My mom was determined to get this baby to come out that week, so she took me shopping and to lunch for the day. That night I was exhausted and just felt different. The next morning at 5 am I started going into labor. Went to the hospital at 8am and the nurse said I was dilated 6cm already. She says she wishes their were more women who wait like me. But, I didn't go because the pain was ok. My mom forced me to the hospital. I had a doc. appt at 9am anyways, I wanted to wait,lol! I was nervous. Doctor wanted me at the hospital now!!! So, go walk it off and You'll be fine, it's all worth it!!! Good Luck sweetie........
How exciting!!!! Most of everyone agrees walking helps out sooo much so as you walk pray for your body to do what it needs to do for birthing. I prayed & prayed & when I got to the DR I was already 5cm & 80% thinned w/ no pain I had no ideal I was just going for a normal DR visit & the DR sent me on over to L/D, 4 and ahalf hours later my little guy was here. BEST WISHES! LOVE & PRAYERS & HUGS you'll do great. I know you can't wait to see that precious little face looking back at you It's sooo worth it you'll see, no matter how soon or far off the real BDAY is:) Take care MORE HUGS KEEP US POSTED
I did acupuncture throughout the latter portion of my pregnancy.  I was supposed to help with my vulvar varcosity and hemroids.  However, she also did points at the end that were supposed to help induce labor.  I saw her twice the week I had my daughter and she worked on those points.  I saw her at 4:00 on Friday and my water broke that night at 11:30pm.  I truly believed the acupuncture helped start my labor.  And it was much easier than being induced as I was with my son.  But if this is your first baby, I know the time is going slowly, enjoy it and SLEEP!
ask your doctor to strip ypur membranes then do lots of walking the baby will come when its ready though just be sure not to take caster oil as this can cause the baby to have a bowel movement inside therefor causing feotel distress lots of people do it but its not worth the risk good luck im counting down my days to i tried everything last year to get my daughter out but none worked i was induced on her due date good luck let us no how it goes.
I had my membranes torn with my first pregnancy and I would not advise it. It was terrible, terrible pain and I got an infection from it although it did send me into labor 24 hours later but a very long and terrible labor that was made much worse due to the infection that I received from having my membranes torn and I was only 1cm when they did the procedure which made it unbearablly painful. The infection was also making my child's heartrate too high, which was very scary.

Orgasm is the aspect of sex that can help induce labor so even if you do not have a partner you can still attempt this method simply by masturbating and a lot....LOL

Walking can help induce labor although it did absolutely nothing for me.

The last thing that a lot of books will tell you to try (and it can work) is to stimulate your nipples. You will notice, after you have your baby that while breastfeeding or pumping milk (which ever method you're using) you will begin to have contractions although these are due to your uterus moving back into its normal, pre-pregnancy postition but never the less, same idea. I used to use my breast pump when I was trying to induce labor. It would get my contractions going a little but never did the job.

I hope I helped, maybe one of these methods will work for you.
Good Luck and rest up for marathon time !
Embarrassing!!! Someone told me that orgasms will start labor. At that time I was like well I can't have that much sex right now. So it was suggested that I masturbate. As taboo as this subject is... It worked for me twice. You can't just do it once, it has to be an excessive thing. Like I said in the beginning, it's embarrassing to talk about but if you want to speed up the process that's how I did it.
well i still have about 4 1/2 weeks left, and the dr said today i was dilated at 2! i couldnt believe i had dilated at all...so now i wanna help things along :) and if an orgasm helps, then i think my hubby will have no problems helping me out in that department....and i walk alot too, because of work and doing things around the house, so hoepfully he'll be here early!!
Hello everyone!!! I am a first time mom and I am due 6/6. My question is that my dr. told me that because my child is going to be bigger as he put it that most likely I wouldn't carry full term.  monday 5/15 he stripped my membrane and told me to go back wednesday 5/17 because due to pregancy my blood pressure has been elevated. I have had a few I guess contractions but I am not sure because I have never had them before. I know I still have time before I am due but I am starting to get really frustrated because first they want to induce then not then strip my membrane and wait and I just want to know if anyone else has any advice because I am starting to get really I don't even know how to explain because I know it takes patience I just wish they would make up their minds.
I truly believe that the baby will come when it is ready to come.  With my first I was 3 centimeters dialated and in early labor, contracting every 5-7 minutes, for THREE weeks and my son did not want to leave his happy, cozy home inside the womb.  Finally, due to my high blood pressure, the doctor broke my water.  I am now due with number two in two weeks and although my husband and I are trying everything to get this baby to come early I know it will come only when it is ready.  I do hope not to be induced this time, but the doctor will have to make that choice.  The important part is that you and your baby stay healthy throughout the labor and delivery process.
Im 39 wks yesterday. I had a doctors appointment yestersay and he Just checked to see how things are moving along and said that shes already half way threw my pelvis which is like im already half way done lol. After that i started bleeding alot n went back and they said i didnt look to be in to much pain n sent me home. I came home and lost some of my plug n i have to sit and wait till im in killer pain in order for them to check again..and i walk everyday and it helps with pain.