Maternal & Child Community
I am pregnant and I have been addicted to the Afrin Nasal spray and I w...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

I am pregnant and I have been addicted to the Afrin Nasal spray and I was wondering if it hurts the baby???

I am 7 months prego and My nasal congestion is so bad that I cannot breathe or sleep at night.  I hate it.  My ob says  I can use Afrin Nasal Spray.  Now that seems to be all that I can use.  I have been on it for months.  I am miserable.  Does this hurt my baby and what can I do to get off of it??  Please help!
I just recovered for a CHRONIC sinus infection and my dr. told me to use Afrin...however it only seemed to work temporarily and I found myself using it ALL THE TIME!  I have a very good, educated Physican's Assistant as a friend and she told me to STOP USING IT.  She says it's really bad stuff.  I'm currently taking Duratuss for congestion, but I don't know if it's friendly for expectant mothers (they rate it as Class C).  I also have allergies and I use Rhinocort nasal spray for relief.  It's rated Class B.  If it's allergies bothering you, it might be something you could check into.
It probably won't hurt the baby, but you need to get off of it.  Tell your OB you are overusing it.  Sometimes they will give you a short course of nasal steroid spray to decrease the rebound congestion.  Its best to ask your doctor what to do if you are heavily overusing it.  

If you go it on your own, do it this way.  Get some Saline nasal spray (ask your pharmacist if you aren't sure if it's plain saline or not).  

Start alternating nostrils.  First time, spray one nostril with Afrin, the other with Saline.  The next time you spray, reverse the way you did it before.  Gradually lengthen the amount of time between uses, always alternating which side got the Afrin last.   This way, you'll always have one clear nostril to breath through, so you won't be totally blocked up.  

After you have it down to just once or twice a day, cut it out completely.  You still might have a miserable couple of days, but it's better to just get it done and over with.  You can feel free to use the saline spray whenever you need it, if your nose feels dry or stuffy.

Another thing I heard from an ENT is to dab tiny amounts of Neosporin ointment just inside your nostrils a couple times a day...supposedly this helps with the rebound congestion somehow.  But I never heard this from anyone else, and sure don't know if it works.  
Thank you for helping me and leaving comments.  I really appreciate it very much.  I just talked to my dr on the phone a few minutes ago and he said that I need to call the dr's office tomorrow morning when I wake up and they are going to get me in to the Ears nose and throat specialist and they will give me something that will help me.  And he also said that it won't hurt the baby.  So that for usre made me feel much better.  I was in an almost crying fit becuase I wouldn't know what to do if it was to hurt my baby.  THank you so very much!  And god bless you all!  :)
i havent tried one but a netti pot is supposed to be great at nasal congestion. you can get them at a health food store or online. you fill it with saline solution and rinse your nostrils one at a time with it. i saw dr oz on oprah talking about it. i dont know i can handle it so you try it first and tell me how it was lol.
I'm so glad you called your doctor!  I'm sure they can get you some help so you won't be so miserable.  Believe it or not, Afrin nasal spray overuse is very, very common.  It works so well, but you inevitably get rebound congestion after only a few days.  I've seen ladies who have been on it for years.

Pregnancy is a particularly aggravating time for nasal stuffiness.  Hope the ENT can help you with this!
I also have terrible sinus problems from allergies.  I take zyrtec everyday.  Like you, I hope it's okay.  Saline can't touch all the junk I've got going on.  I have had problems for years.  Now it's spring, so this the season for allergies.  I also cough constantly from the drainage.  I don't know if zyrtec can help you or not.  My Dr. seems to think it is okay during pregnancy.
id try the netti pot, better to try something natural and healthy than to take something like zyrtek and say "i hope its ok". just my opinion!!