Maternal & Child Community
When should I stop laying of my stomach??
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

When should I stop laying of my stomach??

Fast question.  I sleep on my side and sometimes on my back so I do have that under control.  However, I see a chiropracter on a regular basis and while I'm there he makes me lay on my stomach.  I asked him how much longer I was going to be able lay on my stomach.  He said always.  He said the baby was well padded and that it wouldn't hurt it.  I don't think thats right.  I'm go see my ob on friday and I'm going to ask her, but I didn't know if any of you would know the answer to that question. (btw I'm 12 weeks)
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
300987_tn?1219987265
Your chiropracter is right. My doc said you can lay or sleep however you feel comfortable. On your back, on your left or right side, on your stomach, however you want. The whole reason that people stop laying on their stomach or back is because it's uncomfortable. Once your stomach gets bigger, its obvious why they can't sleep like that anymore. And once you get really big, it can be hard to breathe while laying on your back.

So to sum it up, you can sleep however you want. Your baby is well protected and you won't squish him/her! I am 5 months and still sleep on my stomach!
Blank
218870_tn?1240259255
eventually it may become uncomfortable to sleep on your belly.  that is when you should stop.  you will know when it is time.  i slept on my stomach until i was about 31 weeks.
Blank
Blank
221025_tn?1332558946
actually, you should stop laying on your back early on - can't remember the exact week - I want to say sixteen weeks, because there are major blood vessels that run along the back of the uterus and when the baby is pressing on them, it can slow the amount of oxygen and blood to the baby - as for tummy sleeping, I think as long as you are comfortable, go for it - I'm still sleeping on my stomach
Blank
When I lay on my stomach the baby kicks a lot so I think she is getting uncomfortable (30w now so I guess that is expected).  I agree that you will know when you can no longer sleep on your belly.
I have always been a back sleeper and I have also been concerned about this.  Basically my doc said even if you just put a small flat pillow under your right hip you will be OK on your back.  You just shouldn't be totally flat, but at a slight angle is OK.  Also if your blood supply is cut off you will know it because your feet and legs will start to fall asleep.  Also in the third trimester sleeping on your back can lead to greater fluid retention if blood flow is slowed.  Sides are best but it is a very hard habit to break.  Plus my mom told me "well, they never told me that when I was pregnant with you kids and you all turned out fine!"
Blank
Loved you advice and I loved your mom's quote!  Thanks for the tip of the pillow, I'll be sure to remeber that!
Blank
246850_tn?1246163948
I agree too that it when it gets uncomfortable for you, and you will know.

Anybody know what side it is (right or left) that is suppose to help baby get more oxygen? I know i had heard this when i was pg the first time, but i dont recall?
Blank
169867_tn?1327602254
I think it's lying on your left side.
I haven't ever slept on my stomach so I'm okay :)
I still don't sleep well though!!

Ruth xx
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949