Maternal & Child Community
diabetes!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

diabetes!

well got my diabetes results bk and it looks like ive got diabetes. waitin 2 speak 2 my midwife about what treatment they will give me. hopin it will b just a good diet, ive been told that sometimes thats enough 2 keep it under control.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
hi , im uk too (staffordshire) got family near you though ! depending on your result they can control it with diet but may need insulin , thet teach you how to do it and it aint too bad and corrects its self afterbirth usually . how far are you ?
Blank
Sorry to hear about your diabetes... There are ways though that you can get this undercontrol with your diet...  You are due in June, right?

out of curiosity - where are you located (since you mentioned that you are going to a midwife) ???
Blank
im due june 19th, im in bristol uk.
Blank
Hi - I did so much research on this when I had to do my 3 hour GTT test (negative, I was lucky).  Anyway, in most cases, it's totally controllable with diet.  Here is a sampling of a diet that one of my friends had to stick to (I don't think she'd mind me sharing - it's so helpful):

*Balance the carbs better over 4 meals and 2-3 snacks/day.
*Eat something every 2 hours, except at night.
*Make sure that your nightime snack and breakfast the next morning are no more than 10 hours apart.
*Make sure you have a protein (eggs, meat, peanut butter ect) with each meal and at least an 8 oz glass of milk.

This is the carb plan she's on:  
breakfast - 30 carbs
mid morning snack - 30 carbs
lunch - 45 carbs
mid afternoon snack - 20 carbs
dinner - 60 carbs
bedtime snack - 20-30 carbs

I hope this helps you to feel a little better!  Also, the chances of getting type 2 diabetes later in life is only 2-3% - extremely low.  Most of this is a pregnancy thing.  Good luck to you!!!  It will be fine!
Blank
I had GD and I was primarily controlled though diet. My morning sugar couldn't be controlled though so I was on insulin at night time before I went to bed. Good luck.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Maternal & Child Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...