Maternal & Child Community
hydrocodone use in early pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

hydrocodone use in early pregnancy

i found out about a week ago that i am pregnant. i had been taking (for about 2 weeks prior) hydrocodone 10 mg and was up to about 2-3 per day. i believe i am about 8 weeks along as i have not been to the doctor just yet, buti have quit taking them. i am so scared that i may have messed up my baby's brain functions or caused some type of long term effect. please help me out with this, i have completely stopped and started drinking lots of water, i am just now starting prenatal vits too. please anyone w/advice?
Can't really say at this point but I think your baby will be fine, but again I am not a docotr, the most important thing is that you tell your doc that you had been taking them and that you have since stopped,

God Bless and congrats

P.S. Try googleing pregnancy and hydrocodone, that will get you some much needed info
There is a post further down about this same issue dated 10/9/2006 if you want to read that for more info.  I think you should be just fine.  I've been taking Hydrocodone through my entire pregnancy (currently 30weeks), and so far my baby is perfectly healthy.  There are several other ladies who have taken it during their pg as well and their babies are just fine!
I believe the main issue with taking it is late in your 3rd trimester.  Doctors just want you to try to taper off so the baby will not be addicted.  I'm sure some of the other ladies can give you some encouragement as well.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Congratulations and good luck!
Correction: It is dated 10/8/2006 and the title is "hydrocodone while pregnant"
Sorry about that!
thank you so much, i have been googleing the topic a s well and have found the same information....i just wanted to be sure i didn't cause anything harmful as it is developing. i really appreciate all the help!!
Hydrocodone is a Category B drug in pregnancy.  Check out safefetus.com
Heres the link to the page:
http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=1133&TradeName=Hydrocodone&TradeId=2759
I am 28 weeks today and at 14 weeks I had a cerclauge done and my dr prescribed hydrocodone for me for pain. He said it was perfectly safe.
hi hon I two had this problem with my other son i was taking oxycodone and found out it was my 4-8 week period no to mention i was on a few other things and had to have x-rays but my son is two now and he is fine . so when i ended up with two absess (abscess) teeth and after days of only taking tylennol and penicillian I opted to go back to the er and get a stronger anibiotic and also hydrocodone and im only 4-8 weeks again and hydrocodone is a cat c drug for all you out there and it is is the unknown genre but honestly you should be fine you know how many people get drunk and do other stuff in the first few weeks and then end up worring thier hole preg . Just enjoy you didnt do it o purpose you didnt know . you baby im sure will be fine . now your highgblood pressure from the anxiety of having done something to your unborn child well thats dangerous so just go relax
Hey honey, don't worry.  The best advice I or anyone else can give you is to talk with your OB-GYN.  He/she will have all the information and experience to base it on that you could ask for.  Let them know what you have taken, and in what amounts.  However, I have been reading up on this subject lately because I have a daughter who is 8 weeks pregnant, and uses hydrocodone for back pain.  There appears to be no proven threat to your fetus at this point.  The concern is that you could possibly have a hydrocodone addicted baby if taken regularly towards the end of your pregnancy.  There is not enough information to say whether it is harmful or not, but as with any medication or chemical, check with your physician before using, and use only when truly necessary.  Your baby will appreciate it! Good Luck!
I've been taking hydrocodone for 4 ruptures in my back and a previous neck surgery.  When I found out I was pregnant, I went off cold turkey.  Finally, my doctor convinced me that, used in moderation and when pain relief is needed, pain medication is a safer alternative than the high blood pressure caused by pain.  I'm almost 6 months now and take pain medication as needed (1 pill every other day to 2 pills a day) and my baby is doing great.  Good luck and don't let the guilt and worry kill you-I know how that is!
I am currently 6 wks pregnant with baby no 3.  i have histry of headaches, doc said it was ok to take vicodin, but still scared. he 1st said only 2 per week, then when that wasn't cutting it, he said i could take more, but to let him know how many each week. trying to only use it for unbearable ones, but having a 3yr old and 17mo old boys is a headache all in itself!  i'm also on paxil and was for the 1st 2 pregnancies,  boys are fine, but doc seems more concerned this time about the paxil than vicodin, someone please help! i'm loosing my mind literally!

Momof2boys
I am in shock that women who take a narcotic thinks its alright  with nothing to worry about, think of this what ever you eat ,take you baby is aking it also, feeling the full effects of the narcotic,so when the when the babyis born are all of you women gonna give your baby hydrocodone for its pain for teething because if you breast feed it will still have the narcotic in its little systym. I am hoping and praying that non of the babies born will not have to go through withdraws which cause nausesa shkes and probable the use of oxygen, all for a narcotic pill to ease a minjor pain that would of passed with rest..god bless the little ones..
Ya know I am more than a little offended by your post. Not everyone has "minor" pain. I am 23 years old and have MAJOR Rheumatiod Arthritis. And quit frankly until your joints feel like someone has been smashing them with a hammar then you can judge! I am also 7 weeks pregnant and for your advise I have talked to my OB and my Rheumatologist and they have both told me if my pain gets bad enough to take half of one of my pills just not to take the SIX a day that I was. Yes that is right six. I was taking two three times daily. So the next time you would like to pass judgement you might want to think that not everyone is blessed enough to have a body that acts exactly the way it should!
Beckwoodruff is absolutely right! Who are you to judge? I suffer from severe back pain due to a car accident. I'm not pregnant--yet--- and have been perscribed hydrocodone for my pain. So I've been reading these blogs and have noticed that many pregnant women feel guitly for taking the meds their doctors have perscribed. And here you come, only making them feel worse! Also, maybe you should learn how to spell before spewing your close-minded and ignorant judgements on pregnant women who are at least smart enough to consult with their doctors and research the facts. If you want to pass harsh judgements, go harp on the meth, crack, and heroin addicts.
First of all you need to grow the hell up!! I'm a new mother who is 8 months pregnant and I was in pain for over 2 weeks straight before I went in to see my doctor. I didn't want my doctor to give me anything because I was worried about my daughter!! It turns out that my baby is putting pressure on my Gastric Bypass which was causing me to have sharp pains in stomach. I couldnt eat or drink anything without falling over in pain. The only thing my doctors could do was give me a pain reliever at first I refused to take it, but when the pain is so bad that you can't get out of bed you tend to rethink your decisions especially when your doctors are telling you the baby will be fine as long as you don't take the pills very often. I don't have time to argue with you, I just wanted to say if you think your so holy why don't go find people on the streets who really need help and preach to them!!
Also understand that the body's natural response to severe pain is to spike the blood pressure.  I have severe pain too, and went to the ER once with BP of 220/180 which is in stroke range.  That would damage a fetus FAR more than hydrocodone would.  Not to mention, knock out your kidneys as well.  So, before you go giving bad advise make sure you understand the implications.  

That being said, I agree with the spirit of your post, just not your ignorance.  What you put into your body is going to go into your baby's body.  You're eating for two, as they say.

I am starting on my 3rd pregnancy. 4 days b4 i found out i was pregnant, i had over 4 hrs of dental surgery(gas too) done, and was taking hydrocodone. Got to feeling paraniod once I found out and called my OB, she said that if i was uncomfortable to PLEASE take a pill and get some rest, that was the best thing I could do for myself and the baby. so dont you ladies feel bad, our lil ones are designed to be strong. look at all the lil ones that made it thru moms drinking and not knowing they are carrying. i partied it up right b4 i found out i was preg. with my first and she is fine. had a friends bridal party right b4 we discovered we were having our second, she healthy. so good luck to you all/
Just curious about your post, although I don't agree with you.  With my son, I was on Lortab from my 5 month to my 8 month.  I am now pregnant with my 2nd child and am afraid of having the same pain I had with him.  I had the Gastric Bypass and they could never figure out what was causing my sharp stomach pains. It would always radiate to my back. I always had a feeling it had something to do with the baby pressing on my stomach somehow. I am wondering what they found out with you, if anything.  I think I am destined to hurt again.  I don't wont to take Lortab throughout my pregnancy, but if you have the same pain I had, there would be no other way.  
I don't know if I'm pg yet but I had a d&c a week. Ago and my husband and I made love yesterday and I was scared cuz the doctors gave me hydro for pain so I look it up and found this all the help from every one I hope and pray that GOD has blessed me with a baby
I am on my second pregnancy and six months along. I have been on loratab 7.5 pretty much my whole pregnancy due to sever damage in my neck and lumbar spine from a car accident, my baby is laying low in my pelvis in the breach position causing my Fybromyalgia to flair up really bad, I think that your remarks are disrespectful, closed minded, ignorant, and you seem to have a lot of nerve passing judgment on woman when you really have no idea what ''we'' are going through and dealing with. You have no clue about the pain that we feel or the guilt that we feel from taking these medications!! If it was not safe for our unborn children I do not think that our doctors would be giving us the pills and telling us it is ok and our babies will be safe. You are a judgmental ignorant piece of work and there is no reason you should feel sorry for our babies, it is us who should feel sorry for you and god forbit you ever have kids, the last thing this world needs is more people like you in it!! More people to pass judgment  on others when they do not know the first thing about their situation or what they are feeling. This world is screwed up enough and you are just adding to it with your ignorance and your closed mind, I am sure you will teach your kids to think the same way as you I for one pitty any person who is raised to think like that. Everything a pregnant woman eats, takes, drinks, smokes, ETC does go to the baby, but if us taking a medication given to us by our doctors will make it easier for us to carry our babies to full term and make it so that we are not living in pain for 9 months and we are able to function , and those of us with other children to take care of and small children at that, if taking a pain pill will enable us to be able to properly care and fully function for our children with out having to live in sever pain who the hell are you to judge us?? where the hell did you get your medical degree that gives you the right to say anything to us about any medical issue...
i just found out i am pregnant... i have been on lortab for 3 years.  Im scared if i stop suddenly i may have a miscarriage.  i miscarried last year and i do not want to go through that again... any advice?
I am currently pregnant with my fourth child. Not condoning the use of any substance during pregnancy but if my Dr. says it is ok I trust her. I have three healthy children. Sometimes the use of medications is safer then the stress that severe pain could put on the expecting mother. Bet you are a first timer. Blessings to all.
Well said,thanks for sharing this! I too have fms,and I'm 5 months I take 1 5mg a day...and yes was worried n asked my doc he said won't cause birth defect but baby could have withdrawal for a day or two...this is the only child vie took it with everyday so I am worried...but can not help to take it without it I couldn't function and I have five other kids to take care of and work full time a business I own...they stopped my sevella cause they don't know much about,so when people make stupid remarks,I always come back with caffeine is addicted as well...think about it...someone drinking tons of it daily pregnant may have withdrawal symptoms too....well I trust my doc and I feel my baby move as normal as other pregnancies so I k ow my baby is fine...but thanks for putting this in words that I probably couldn't....lol...
Thats why all of the women are saying to stop at the end of the pregnancy so your baby isnt addicted! If i was you i would pay attention to what these women are writing before you start judging. I am about 6 weeks pregnant and have SEVERE back and leg pain due to overactive nerves in my spine and 2 degenerating discs and i agree with the others when they say that high blood pressure due to being in pain all the time is WAY WORSE than taking meds so you can enjoy being pregnant because being pregnant and getting bigger is obviously going to make it worse!! I have 3 kids already and luckily never had to take meds with them because of pain and enjoyed every bit of being pregnant. I dont want my back and leg pain now to ruin the enjoyment of bringing another beautiful life into the world!! I am so excited to be pregnant again and was also one that was worried about taking meds but i've done a lot of research and all says the same. So thank you to all the advice i feel so much better now!! :-)
I love how you all jump on the woman who is saying that you are taking a risk when taking these meds.  She is right, and you are all trying to justify yourselves by saying that "My doctor feels it is ok".  For all those who are calling her a "piece of work", look in the mirror!  You would willingly put your baby at risk because of your pain without even considering the many alternatives.  Doctors are not gods! The are quite fallible.  
For those telling that woman to help the addicts on meth, crack, etc...  Are you fools as well?  What the heck do you think Hydrocodone is?  It's an opiate!  Might as well do heroin.  You people are sick... period...  
You think because a "doctor" prescribes it that that makes it ok.  Again... you fools.  
It's a real shame that there are so many weak, moronic women who would risk their baby's development with narcotics!  Yep... saying it as it is, which I am sure will **** off many of you.  Too bad... deal with it.
Maybe if you removed your heads from your rears and really looked into things instead of taking doctor's words like gospel, you might learn a thing or two and not attack the person who is actually offering sounds advice.  Or you can continue to be ignorant fools... which is what I expect most of you will do.
I am 26 yrs. old with Lumbar Disc Disease. I have 5 ruptured and 2 bulging disc in my back, as of now, and was originally injured when i was 18 yrs old due to a drunk driver. I KNOW what pain is just like most of the women on here do but for you to say that we are "sick people" for taking medication to help with the pain is probably the most ignorant comment I have read on here. You can sit there and say that we are "sick people" if you want but the truth is NO ONE will judge me for trying to do what my doctor, my husband, my parents and myself  thinks is best for my health and my child. I understand that taking pain medication while pregnant isn't ideal but as long as my doctor says that it is ok to take a very small dose then that is what i will do. You have no right saying anything about this situation bc i guarantee you have NO clue what kind of pain we are going through. You are acting like all the women on here are addicts but that's not what this is about at all. If i was taking pills so i could just get a high off of them then yes i would totally agree with you but when we are having to take medication bc of a SERIOUS injury or illness then I honestly don't see a problem with it as long as you take it in very small doses. I was having to take my medication at least 3 times a day just so I can walk and I am so worried about my child that I have cut down to one pill every two days but bc of this I am having to be put on bed rest. So now i have a choice to make...take two pills a day so i can walk and be able to work and provide for my family or be put on bed rest and not be able to work. Trust me if I could make it through the day without any type of medication I would but bc of a drunk driver I don't have that choice anymore! Don't you dare judge people like myself when you have no damn clue what we go through on a daily basis!! I would love to trade places with you for oneday just so you could feel my pain!! Oh and to say that taking Hydrocodone is the same thing as doing Heroin just shows how stupid and ignorant you really are!! Hydrocodone is a medication perscribed by doctors to help people cope with servere pain; Heroin is for junkies to get a high off of. Any medication can be abused and for the pregnant women out there that ARE in fact taking pain pills to get high off of then yes they are extremely ignorant and might as well be doing heroin but for those of us that are seriously injured, and do go to the doctor on a regular basis to make sure our baby is doing ok then I don't see a problem with it AT ALL so you can take your judgements and shove them!! Oh and by the way I am 7 months pregnant with a very healthy set of twin girls!!! So who needs to "remove their head from their rear now"???