Maternal & Child Community
prometrium during pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

prometrium during pregnancy

hi i was wondering my dr put me on prometrium during this pregnancy has anyone else takin it while pregnate and had a succussful pregnacy the bottle says not to take during pregnancy im confussed please help
I am taking prometrium 200 mg.  I am 10 weeks now and everything seems to be going great.  I'm not sure why your bottle says not to take during pregnancy, you're supposed to take it for the first three months, atleast that is what was explained to me.  Prometrium is just a progesterone suppliment, so I don't know why it says not to take it during pregnancy.
I am on it too.  I questioned this when I picked up my fist prescription.  Because that scared the sh*t outta me.  Coundlt figure out why they would give me something that says do not take if pregnant.  I am also 10 weeks.  I think my dr. said to take it until 12 weeks.  I am on 100mg.  I know it doesnt make any sense!!
Hmmmm... that is so strange, why does it say that?  Mine doesn't!  Mine says not to take if you're allergic to peanuts!  Did either one of you ask your pharmacist why it says that??
the paper that came with my prescription said that it dose not keep you from miscarring which is why i need it to keep me from loseing another baby but it also says that it can cause birth defects exspiecally in the first few weeks of pregnancy after reading that im scared to take it but at the same time i dont want to lose this baby
nel:  yea I called my dr about this.  They said its ok to take.

starkey:  I dont think your dr. would give you something that would cause birth defects.  I didnt notice that on mine.  Maybe call them to ease your mind.  But it IS ok to take!  Do you have to take orally or vaginally??
I am not pregnant yet, but I take prometrium and my doctor said when I do become preg I will still take it to help prevent miscarriage and he said it would provide my body with female hormones my doesn't produce.

I was told that there is a link between Prometrium and cleft pallet.  But, the Dr. said that the chance is very minute...The way i see it...a cleft pallet can be fixed...If it keeps my baby alive, then i'll take the chance.  I know other people who have taken prometrium throught their prengnacy and had beautiful and healthy babies.
Mine said in a big yellow sticker on the side of the bottle not to take while pregnant.  I immediately called the Dr.  He said that it was fine and that if he prescribed it, that it was fine.  I am now 18wks!  I was on 200mg until 13wks.  It made me pretty sick, but it was definately worth it!  Good luck and sticky sticky baby dust!!!!
Hey i took prometium for my son and read that label  and called the pharmasist all angry like if i had taken this i could have sued you (i didnt say that but that is what i felt) and they were like oh thats ok to take while pg. i still dont know why but i asked so its ok, my son is now 8 months old and i am now pg with another but doesnt look well my progesterone is good though good luck.
I had 3 misscarriages, and when I was pregnant with my 4th pregnancy, my doctor prescribed me prometrium, and now I have a beautiful one year old daughter.  Most likely if I become pregnant again I will have to take prometrium again.  My bottle also said do not take while pregnant, and it scared the **** out of me, especially already going through 3 misscarriages!!!!  But yes, it is safe to take, and my daughter was a very healthy 7l.b. 2 o.z. baby!
If you take prometrium by mouth, it goes threw the blood system, then goes to the baby, which typically is not good. Most prometrium is prescribed vaginally, that way it goes straight to the uterus and helps support the baby. At 10-12 weeks the placenta takes over the hormones and no longer needs the support of prometrium. Hope that helps!
I am on prometrium also ..currently 5 weeks pregnant..i started it a few days after BD and boy do i need it..my first levels on 200mg were 5 and i was pregnant.  That was 2 weeks ago and I am now on 1000mg and progesterone is 25..i will continue it to 12 weeks! not worried about side effects..i think its the only thing that can keep this baby safe! Good Luck!
After a failed IVF. My cycle came on but then wouldn't the next month when we were going to try another IVF so they put me on prometrium to help me start, which it did after 5 doses.
I just got prescribed Prometrium today too and I am very scared to take it. I'm not sure if I am going to or not. It says in the information pamphlet that it is not to be taken during pregnancy and "Rare instances of fetal death and spontaneous abortion have been reported in pregnant women prescribed PROMETRIUM Capsules for unapproved indications including the prevention of such outcomes. Studies in humans cannot rule out the possibility of harm. Therefore, PROMETRIUM Capsules should be used during pregnancy only if indicated." You can look all of this up on the internet too.
I took prochieve, which is a vaginal gel progesterone.  I took it until 13wks and I am now 23wks!  I would recommend progesterone supplements to anyone who needs it.  I was also REALLY worried about side effects, but all ultrasounds show a healthy baby with no defects.  I went through 1 m/c and insisted my dr. check my hormones during this pregnancy...which were low, so thank god.  I could of possibly had another m/c....and I personally dont know if I could have gone through that pain again...physically and emotionally!
I was just too been prescribed Promitrium and was a little confused why I need to take it vaginally instead of orally. Doctor didn't explain much (but I trusted her with all my heart) but did say taking it vaginally will go straight to the Uterus where it needs it most and immediate, to support the baby.

Does anyone know how to use it though? Do you just stick it in your vagina? How far in? The capsule looks so small...does it just dissolves itself? Very curious!!!

Thanks.
well i just started take pormetrium also and my bottle said to discuss with dr. if you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant.  I just hope it helps me.
Has anyone experienced light bleeding after starting the Promitrium?
My daughter is 8 weeks pregnant and her doc said that her HCG level was increasing as it should but her  progesterone level was low and prescribed prometrium. This is her first pregnancy. Why would she be given prometrium?
Ive been on prometrium since I was 6 weeks pregnant (I am now 9 1/2 weeks) and must continue until I am 12 weeks and the placenta takes over.  She has me on 2- 200 mg pills a day which I take orally and so far, so good.  My progesterone level had dropped from 14.9 to 13.6 in 2 days which is why she put me on it.  When I picked up the bottle from the pharamacy I too noticed the big sticker that says, "Do not take while pregnant" so I immediatlely called the pharmacist who assured me that it is totally safe to take, the reason is says that is because if your level is already where its supposed to be then you should NOT be taking anything to make it go up at all.  Its only to be taken if your level is low.  Hope this helps!!!
I have a three year old daughter and had a very bad pregnancy with her.  Since then I have had seven miscarriages.  One of them was at 15 weeks but the other six were at eight weeks or less.  My husband and I were about to give up because of how bad it hurt to lose each one.  It was horriable.  We made an appointment for him to get "fixed" when we found out we were pregnant again. I was so upset, we had been so careful.  So, I went to my doctor and he put me on 200 mg of Prometrium to be taken orally 3 times a day.  I am now a little over seven weeks pregnant.  I get bloodwork done twice a week and so far so good.  I've even had an ultrasound and that looks good.  So the Prometrium appears to be providing me with a miracle so I say if your doctor prescribes it to you then you should take it.  It has given me new hope.  Maybe I will be blessed with another miracle to hold in my arms and it would be in a major part due to this little pill.  If the pill can do that than I'm all for it.  Ladies, you should trust your doctor to do only what is best for you...  If you do not completely trust him or her, you need to find a new one because if you can't trust the doc with your life do you really want to trust him/her with your baby?
I had 3 miscarriages (all with no heartbeat between 6 through 8th weeks), I am now into my 5th week pregnancy, I take Prometrium 100mg, I really do hope this pill will do wonders for me.

Like many of you, I really do not want to have another miscarriage; it's beyond painful to describe how I felt.  No one understand the type of pain a mother had to go through when something like miscarriage happened.

After reading all of your comments, I really feel that there's love and support out there.  I also emailed my doctor to ask if a higher dosage of Prometrium is necessary for my condition.  Funny, my doctor did not even evaluate my progesterone level at all ever since I became pregnant.

Think Positive!!!
I'm not pregnant but we are working on it for years and had 2 miscariage and now I'm on Prometruim and if I'm pregnant who know this pill will work to keep my baby in place so we can have another great thing in our life :)
I am 25 yrs old and on my 1st pregnancy my doc prescribed prometrium 200m...  I had been spotting and i am praying for the best I am currently 9weeks the bottle says dont take it if pregnant but I am taking it with hopes of holding my baby in may next year... has anyone spotted and used this med then received great results.... My faith tells me everything is ok
I had a mc the 4th of August. My doctor put me on the oral prometrium after my first set of labs came back very low.
I am currently pregnant again (about 4wks). I had switch ob/gyn in the meantime and now am on the vaginal prometrium. I had my hcg levels checked on the 2nd and it was 19. Then again yesterday (the 4th) and it was only at 30. I am very scared. They are testing me again tomorrow (the 6th) to see where we are at. I know the levels are supposed to double every 48hrs but I have also heard it can take up to 72hrs. Does anyone of a history of low numbers that resulted in a full term preg?

Hopefully everything is well with you.  I have had many miscarriages and ended up going through invitro  and was on prometrium and did also spot, everything worked out well and I now have a 3 year old son.  So hang in there, I hope everything works out.
I was spotting quite a bit around 5 weeks, and even 6 weeks, maybe a tad longer.  I was very concerned.  When I went to the doc, they told me my progesterone levels were low and prescribed 200 mg. prometrium, oral, twice a day.  I was having TERRIBLE side effects, dizzy, sleeping constantly, and terrible nausea that never went away.  I went back and they put me on the same drug, but 50 mg. twice a day, vaginal suppository.  The side effects drastically reduced, but I still in general don't feel good.  I am 9 wks now though, so only a few more to go.  The spotting went away with the hormone.  Good luck.
I am 32 and on my second pregnancy. I was told I would never be able to have children so when I found out I was pregnant in Feb of this year I was very excited and scared. I had an ultra sound at about 6 weeks and the baby's heart beat was at 100 and they said that was low. I had another u/s 2 weeks later and there was no heart beat. I am now 6 week and had a u/s and the baby's heartbeat is at 127 so its better. I met with my Dr. today and she put me on 100mg of Prometrium. I hope it works for me. Its comforting to read of other people going through the same things.
I have 3 healthy kids followed by 2 mc within a few months of each other. We are pregnant again, about 6 weeks and the Dr. just started me on 200mg prometrium orally once a day. I had my first levels done today and should know the results tomorrow. We pray this time things go okay. I am like most of you, don't think we can handle another miscarriage.
I have also had 2 miscarriages, my last one was October 1st, 2008.  I was also prescribed prometrium to get pregnant and was supposed to take up to 12 weeks 200mg/day orally but didnt take it because I didnt think it was safe.  But I just found out I was pregnant again almost 4 weeks along and had lab done on Monday and my docotor called me and said my progesterone levels are really good, now I wish I would have taken it last time.  Hopefully it works with this pregnancy, I have been trying for over 3 years to have a baby.  Good luck to you all
My husband and I are trying to get pregnant ... I'm on Metformin, Femara, vitamins and now Prometrium.  We tried on all the right days and my not-so-patient self took 3 pregnancy tests before my period should have started.  In two the control box didn't show anything so I assume they didn't work.  In the third I accidentally bought the non-early test and it was negative.  My period started very light two days ago.  Now nothing.  I'm nervous to take another test because I keep getting my hopes up.  Is spotting regular for pregnancy and/or prometrium?  Does Prometrium and/or Femara make anyone have really long cycles?  My last cycle was the first on Femara (no Prometrium) and it was 56 days.  Normally I'm around 28-32.  Does this sound normal...?
I have had two recent miscarriages - the first at 19 weeks and the second at 8.  I am now pregnant and my new doctor has put me on Prometrium.  It has all the warnings you've all described, but my dr had forewarned me about them and assured me that it was safe as its just a supplementation of what your body naturally (or should) produces.  As with all drugs you have to be cognizant of the side effects and risks, but believe me your doctor is aware of these risks before he/she prescribed it.  Moreover you're doctor has weighed those risks against the potential benefits (preventing miscarriages) and the latter apparently won.  So, keep aware of any significant changes you may feel, remain calm and have happy healthy children!
I'm 22 just made 5 weeks today, my dr. Didn't check my levels but put me on this medication when I told him I was cramping! He warned me the lable would say don't take if pregnant! He said it's OK!! I'm trusting him this is my first pregnancy so I keep praying for the best! Keep being positive!!! Good luck to all!
My first pregnancy was immediate and very successful 3 years ago.  2 years ago I got pregnant again and miscarried after 8 weeks.  I found out last week that I'm 5 weeks pregnant.  I'm now taking 200mg of Prometrium and my nurse said the bottle would say "do not take while pregnant".  It's still safe I guess.  I just started taking it last night.  It made me very tired, but that was a good thing cause I haven't been sleeping well lately.  I feel good this morning and don't have any side effects yet.  My doctor just wants me to take this until I'm 12 weeks.  I'm hoping this will help reduce my chances of miscarrying again.  
i have had 2 miscarriages in the past 6 months now i am trying to concieve (conceive) again my doctor prescribed me prometrium, but my question is does it matter when i start taking it? can i start taking it while ttc or wait till a positive pg test?
My doc prescribed prometrium 200mg...the bottle says one by mouth twice daily. But everything I read says once daily. and I cant get ahold of my doc till Monday. Im scared to take just one bc what if its not enough, but if I take two what if its not enough. Either way I'm in a loose loose situation. I will wonder what if what if what if. I'm scared to take it as it is, but now I dont know how often to take it.
I'm at my 9th week and I've also been prescribed Prometrium vaginally since my hormone levels were too low. I've been a ball of nerves since the doctor told me and more so since I've seen the word misscarriage and this drug in the same sentence too many times. I'm glad I found this forum though, it makes me feel at ease that other people have gone through this and have had healthy babies. Thanks for sharing and giving me some piece of mind.

Drugs.com/pdr/promentrium.html

Read this and it will answer all your questions but long story short DO NOT TAKE PROMETRIUM WHEN PREGNANT!
I am pregnant and my progesterone levels were low so the doctor prescibed prometrium to me. OMG!!!! This was not a good experience for me. It caused me to have mood swings, be really down and I was so sick everyday all day. I've been off of the meds for almost a week now and today is the first day that I feel normal again. The prometrium had me feeling terrible. I know that my baby will be fine!! God Bless all the mommy's and babies!
I got put on 200 mg of prometrium twice a day this week. I am eight weeks pregnant. I went to the doc because i had been spotting and then started bleeding. He did blood work and this level was 6.5, very low. He thought I had a miscarriage until an ultra sound showed an embryo with a heart beat of 136 per minute. I was shocked and very blessed.Good luck to everyone and I feel it is making my  pregnancy stronger. Thanks for sharing your experiences   It helps relax me
I got put on 100mg once a day at bedtime. I previously had a miscarriage because my level was to low. I am now pregnant again and found out that i am at a 8.2 level. i am 6 weeks i pray and hope everything goes ok. Thanks for all the insight it makes me feel at ease, I have been so nervous about everything
I just recently got prescribed Prometrium 200 mg because I had a miscarriage about a year ago and me and my husband have been trying to conceive another one ever since. I was told to take it once daily at night. I have not had any side effects. I do feel that is makes me sleep but I like that because I sleep very good. Medicine does scare me but I trust my doctor. I have given all my heartache to God and I know He is in control. I hope the medicine helps everyone because I know how a miscarriage feels. It is a very hard thing mentally and physically to go thru, I had to have a DNC and all. I am hoping this medicine will help me to get pregnant and stay pregnant.
I had various amounts of miscarriage's and just found out im 5weeks pregnant now.My doctor prescribed me Prometrium BID till im 12 weeks.I did plenty of research and read that Prometrium is safe to take during pregnancy it thickens your uterus to get it prepared for pregnancy and also avoid's miscarriages.I spoke to multiple doctors and they said Prometrium is a pill just to raise your progesterone level and if you were to have a miscarriage it would have to be with some time of other effect then to have low progesteron meaning a abnormal baby that your body would automatically reject..Hope this help..Good luck to you all..And god bless
Well, all I know is I have been pregnant 3 times in seven months and thought having two miscarriages meant I could never maintain a pregnancy.  I am taking Prometrium every night and who knows what is responsible but I am nine weeks and the US showed a beating heart of 160/min!  So...I'll take it.  Who knows whether it is the Prometrium or not but what if it is? It's worth taking in my book.  It's really too bad that I feel like I can never get totally excited because i am always thinking miscarriage might happen :(.  I feel for everyone.  I do have to say though that wow am I easily irritated and upset.  I sleep like a rock which I never do, and have amazing vivid dreams.  I am also quite bloated.  I believe all of these things are side effects, but they aren't so bad.  Maybe the "bloating" is my body changing..who knows.  Very stressful to not know what's happening in your own body.  Wish me luck.
I also thought I would never have a successful pregnancy until I found a great OB that had thought enough to check my hormone levels. I had to take prometrium orally during the first 12 weeks of both my pregnancies with my sons and carried with no problems. I am 34 now and thought my baby days were over until I recently found out I am pregnant again. This time I am taking prometrium vaginally and hope it works because this is my 9th pregnancy and I have only managed two pregnancies so far. Easy irritability and vivid dreams (among other things) just comes with the territory of pregnancy without prometrium but I also have issues with bloating while on prometrium and agree that it is a minor irritation I can handle.
I'm 7w and my doctor just prescribed 100mg of Prometrium on Friday. I have to insert it vaginally 2x a day. We did find a heart beat on Friday as well. I knew that my progesterone levels were low with my last two m/c but this doctor was the first to listen to me and actually test it...I have another appointment today I guess for her to just look and maybe test my progesterone levels....I feel it's safe to take and better than not taking anything at all and risking another m/c.
Don't take it unless few very very unknown specialist say you need it. I miscarried two days ago and I was taking prometrium. My doctor put me on it just because I am over 40 which doesn't justify it. we had naturally conceived and I didn't have any history of miscarriage or early birth.
She put me on progesterone without measuring my progesterone level and that might have been the reason for my miscarriage. That is a very serious medication so be careful.
I was on prometrium my first pregnancy and now for my second and its literally a life saver. It is for me the ONLY way I can stay pregnant
hi i am kisha i have been taking prometrium 200mg since i found out i was pregnant it has worked so far i am now 10wks 2days i seen my doctor yesterday nov16,2010 she said everything was going great the heart beat was really strong i am so happy.this is my 6th pregnancy i had 3 miscarriages 2 live births but my son died because of sids but
after that i had been trying to have more babies.so i tried clomid50mg i concieved each time i took it but i also lost the
babies so i decided to try on my own and god blessed me.i am 23yrs old and have been through alot so i hope this
message reach out to everyone who has the same problem i love you and god bless you
I was just prescribed Prometrium and am nervous to take it too.
I had a m/c in March at about 12 weeks and we think another one at 5 weeks(possibly chemical though) and are trying.
I am happy to hear all the positive results from all of you who have taken this drug.  
Has anyone experienced any birth defects because of it??
thank you and good luck to everyone trying.
I am 23 and have pcos so to get preg the doctor gave me clomid 50mg and to my surprise I got preg the first time around. I found out right at 5 weeks and now am 6w 3days along. I just went to the doc today and had my first u/s and got to hear the heartbeat. All looked good but the doc gave me prometrium because she said people who take clomid to get preg usually do better with it. She told me I should take 100mg orally daily until 10-12 weeks to keep everything going good. I was really nervous at first, until I found this post and saw everyone's results and comments about taking it. So I hope everything works out and I am also scared to get my hopes way up just in case. I am really scared to have a m/c so I am really counting on this prometrium!! good luck to everyone.
Progesterone during pregnancy is controverisal because it can cause incomplete abortion and relax the uterine wall. however, if it is established that the patient has a luteal phase defect (low progesterone production during the luteal phase) then prometrium is indeed indicated to maintain the pregnancy. Progesterone is the hormone of pregnancy and must be present for a mother to maintain her pregnancy.
Hi All,
I was under Prometrium (One tablet a day) from the start of my pregnancy. I traveled a lot during my pregnancy which caused internal bleeding. So the dr. doubled my intake of prometrium. She said it helps in making uterine wall strong and prevent hamorrhage. I was also give IM injection for hydroxyprojestron every two weeks. Now its my 5th month and I am perfectly fine.
One of the potential causes of recurrent miscarriage is a luteal phase defect.  What does this mean?  When an egg is fertilized by a sperm, the shell of the egg left back in the ovary, called the corpus luteum, secretes progesterone which is necessary to grow the placenta and keep the fetus viable.  Eventually the placenta takes over the job of producing progesterone (in addition to other hormones) that keep the fetus/placenta alive.  Essentially some women have a decreased ability in the luteal phase (last half of menstrual cycle) to produce adequate amounts of progesterone.  This is thought to be why some women miscarry in the first trimester due to a "luteal phase defect" in which the corpus luteum does not produce adequate amounts of progesterone to keep the placenta/fetus going.  This is why Prometrium (progesterone) is prescribed for the duration of the first trimester (12-13 weeks).  It does NOT harm the baby, there is NO evidence of cleft palate or birth defects on it.  Nonetheless, it remains controversial as to whether or not this "luteal phase defect" truly exists, but nonetheless, many women have had viable pregnancies after recurrent miscarriage (>3miscarriages) on Prometrium.
I am 7 weeks 1 day pregnant ,started spotting and having mild cramps a 6 days ago. went to the doc yesterday and they said my cervix is closed i measure at 7 weeks and the baby had a good heartrate of 120.  I called this morning for my results of my HCG & Progesterone levels.  Hcg was prefect but my progesterone was low and they put me on Prometrium 200mg once daily by mouth.    I started bleeding and passing small clots so the doc ordered me to stay off my feet and see me in the morning.    I have 2 friends who have been through this and they both have healthy babies now.  I pray God will bless me aswell!    

God Bless all of you going through this!
I am glad I am not the only one on this . This is my third baby and my doctor just placed me on 2 tablets a day of 200MG of Prometrium and when I got to the pharmacy they asked was I pregnant and then the rep took it to the Pharmacist who asked me who prescribed this because you are not suppose to take while pregnant. I have been freaking out all day because I go to the doctor in 5 days and I did not want to take anything that may be harmful to the baby. I had a doctor make a mistake and prescribe Zoloft while I was pregnant and luckily my psychologist told me to stop because I was stressing when I was pregnant about family issues. I just hope you guys are right about this being ok
Hello ladies!

I am 39 and in my second pregnancy. I had a miscarried last year. I am 7 weeks and the doctor gave me Prometrium 100 mg intra vaginal... I need to apply 2 into my body before bed time. She didn't measure my hormonis levels but I guess she decided to put on it because of my age. Older women, last hormonis production. I just wish everything ends fine... for all of us!
Good luck ladies!  
I am 8 weeks pregnant and i was prescribe prometrium 200/ 3 times a day. I had a misscarriage 3 months ago and had some bleeding thus the reason i was prescribe the medication. I am wondering if i am on too much of a doses i am so sick when i take it. She never checked my progesterone level or if she did  she didnt told me. I will meet with her in 2 weeks but was taking to take 200g /2 a day instead. any tought??
I am 10 wks pregnant. I was prescribed Prometrium 100mg twice a day when I was about 8 wks since my progesterone level was 9. I have never had a miscarriage before but the doctor prescribed it to be safe. I only have to take it during the first trimester, after that the placenta will take over. I have been having some side effects such as drowsiness and dizziness. I try to sleep as much as possible and take a nap.
Blessings to everybody
I took prometrium while pregnant and now due 2 my harmones levels while pregnant my baby girl had 2 have an ovary removed at 2 days old and at 8 months sonogram showed other ovary has several cysts. My thought is it is the prometrium. Plz b careful while taking it. I called the f.d.a they said 4 sure it is not 2 b taken while pregnant and dont know why drs prescribe it if they know not 2.