MedHelp Social Community
Once Dead, How long can a body stay on ice?

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

When Anna Nicole died I remember thinking, Are they going to bury her or not? Then the coroner said something to the effect that they only had so long to get it done before the body deteriorated. Now here we are again, with Michael Jackson. Am I the only one that thinks this is cruel somehow? And how can they wait so long and still view a body? Thoughts anyone? I know its morbid but also seems wrong somehow.
well the body starts to decompose as soon as death occurs...so unless they freeze him it will start decaying even after embalming...good question though teko
I just could not help but pose the question because my mind just keeps going there! I know they are having a memorial on Tuesday but still! It has been awhile!
According to the world's biggest religions, the body should be burried within a week's time. Decomposition - if i remember it correctly, jollyman is absolutely correct. The decomposition only goes slower at cooler temperatures. The cooler the slower.

Here in Norway, during the "Dog days" - 2 weeks into july and lasting until mid-august, the body should be buried a lot sooner since the process postmortem is more rapid then.

On the other hand, while it is ethically "correct" to follow wishes of the relatives the deceased might have left a will that over-writes the regular procedures.

My husband wants a cremation when he dies. We have discussed it a lot here since he and I have a gap of age between us. If I neglect to the cremation and he's written a will including that wish, I have to accept it.
I used to be against cremation. Until I lost my dil and my bil. My daughter in law did not even look like herself. She died of a drug overdose. My brother in law had cancer and stated that he wanted to be cremated. His was one of the lovliest services I had ever seen. I and my husband will both be cremated. I wonder how long they will play this out. Does anyone know if they will have a viewing at the memorial on Tuesday?
I don't know whether it's a viewing or not at the memorial for Jackson. I thought it had already been one private and one public with a glass hearse?

Death does change people. Most memorial services I've been organizing for the parlor has been services where the priest always have said: "Some chose to remember the beloved as he/she used to be, while some participate in the viewing too." I think that's a great, considerate thing to say. Some wants to remember the person as they knew him/her, but when my father passed away after a short time's cancer-battle, I decided to see him just one more time. It was like I needed to do it. My father was cremated. The wait for the ashes was the longest of long waits I've ever had.

I forgot to say in my previous reply: Decomp as I've seen it after 10 days has been most visible in the abdominal area. Face and hands - which is what people see on memorial services with viewing - doesn't change that much. Some deceased get a layer of make up too.

I am sorry for your loss. Speaking of own experience, sudden death or "expected" - it is an experience that is never forgotten.
Thanks for responding. Michael was nothing but skin and bones anyway, so it just makes you wonder, you know?
Death of a loved one is so very hard for everyone involved.  Personally, I think the longer the burial/cremation is dragged out, the harder it gets and the longer it takes to be able to move on.  

I've lost quite a few loved ones over the years - both of my parents, a wonderful brother, grandparents, a beloved father in law, etc, none of whom were cremated, but all buried within days of their death.  

I find it abhorring when families drag out the burial for days/weeks.  Funerals aren't held for the one who passed - they are held for the ones left behind. If we truly love the one who passed, the funeral - whether it is a traditional funeral, cremation or whatever, is insignificant.  We will never forget that person that we loved, so there's no advantage in prolonging the inevitable...  

Does this sound harsh?? I'm sorry, I don't mean for it to.... I miss my loved ones SO much; even though my mother passed when I was only 23 and I'm now 60 - the funeral didn't really matter - I loved her and still miss her..... same goes for my oldest brother who died 1 1/2 yrs later at age 42..... yep, it's so sad to realize that I've actually lived more of my life without them, than I did with them.....
I totally agree. This seems very unloving to me to do this to him. The children need closure of some kind. Hopefully soon. Thank you all, and you all have a great holiday.
According to articles I've read, the memorial on Tuesday is only a memorial and not a funeral or viewing, but who knows. I've registered for a chance to go and they will randomly select people and give them two tickets each. Those selected will know by Sunday. It's all very sad, but I agree that it's a long time to wait. His poor family :(
They have to freeze the body? I didn't know that. I know the body decomposes but I thought that the embalming was supposed to help preserve the body.

I can understand delaying the funeral for a few reasons. We had to with my grandmother because she died in another state other than the one she was supposed to be buried in (here) and they had to fly the body out here. They also had to try to get relatives from several different states out here so there was some juggling with that. Still, it wasn't delayed too long. It was 9 days.

I wish I hadn't seen her at the viewing, though. It just didn't even look like her. It disturbed me. The life, the vitality, was gone. I could tell her spirit was no longer with her. I believe she was already with the Lord.
I do think the sooner the better! When my DH's cousin passed it was 5 days and she looked beautiful but still you know you could just tell tell she was really really not there! It was hard! I know when my step grandpa passed it was over a week and they had the service in their hometown plus in ours where they buried him and he look so different!
In Mexico they don't wait at all. They bury the people the very next morning after they pass. They don't do any embalming either. There are good reasons sometimes to wait, like it was it April's case.
In the unfortunate times there have been deaths in my family in Mexico, my parents and other relatives that live here in the States have had to fly out that same night to make it on time to the funeral in the morning. It's so sad...
That is so interesting about Mexico. I never knew that! In some ways I think that would be easier. My husband says they have refrigerated coffins too.