MedHelp Social Community
Party or what?

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Party or what?

So I want to do something for my daughter and my godson's first birthday! I hear of a saying that if you throw a party on a child's first birthday, you have to continue the tradition every year or else bad luck will follow me ooooohhhh LOL! I am not one for superstitions but I also do not ignore them LOL.

What else can I do? I am so not willing to take two one year olds ANYWHERE! I can't even keep up with them at home and I will die if I couldn't find one of them. So what can I do that isn't really a party, but is at home with la familia?

Anna
Ya know, one year olds don't really get or care about a party.  It is more about showing your little one off.  They like the wrapping paper on a present as much as the present and don't care what they get.  They don't realize it is a special day yet.  

I'd do something simple at home----  make or buy a fun cake.  We did a red elmo cake which was a character my son (I think I did a sesame street cake for both boys with back to back, one year and then the next birthdays)---  it is so funny to see them see their cake.  And have your camera ready for the big mess little ones make---  it is priceless.  Save your money and just have a couple of presents.  they start to care about presents soon enough and then you have to spend the cash . . . at one, they really don't care too much.  Just sing happy birthday, put on some dance music and dance around the house, wear the birthday hats and  your little one will be happy.  Invite family or a couple of friends but keep it small.  good luck
You are so right! I can just see Kat staring at me with that blank expression when I say "Happy Birthday!" LOL then she'll just crawl away from the crazy person. It should be fun to make a cake and just drink some juice! I am so excited can't believe my little bug a boo is gonna be one!
We also kept it very simple for the 1st birthday.  Just a few close friends and family members.  The best part for us was seeing his reaction to his cake.  I actually had 2 cakes..a very small one (although in hindsight should have just done a cupcake) that he could dive into and then the larger one for serving to guests.  It was fun and the whole thing was maybe a few hours.  He wasn't even remotely interested in the presents...just the balloons..Ha.