MedHelp Social Community
What's in a name?
About This Community:

Welcome to the MedHelp Social Community. This community is where members can chat with other members about day-to-day issues and topics. This community is not monitored by medical professionals. If you have questions or are in need of support for a health condition or health question, please use one of our other 300+ forums.

Healthy debates are encouraged. Personal attacks or insults will not be tolerated. Please remember to treat all members and opinions with respect

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

What's in a name?

Don't know if this has been done before, but how ppl got their handle interests me. There's often a story to tell. Mine, as might be blindingly obvious, suggests a more than passing passion for that recreational pursuit invented by the Inuit people---kayaking. The 'yakka' part of it is reference to a phrase used down here to refer to work: as in 'hard yakka'. If anyone has ever paddled into a 25 knot headwind they will know what I mean. It also means chat as in 'yakkity yak' which is another one of my favourite pastimes.
Tags: kayaking, name
Related Discussions
12 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
518031_tn?1295578974
there is a tale that the island people tell... dont know if it is true but i love it so well....jollyman sings for his supper everynight....the people feed him well causes he treats us so right......jimmy buffett
Blank
611067_tn?1279065256
For me I needed help and lived in Utah - now I feel like it stands for me being here to help!  
Blank
585414_tn?1288944902
I think mine is self explanatory. IL is independent living which I've discussed in enough posts not to need to detail again. Something I always did but in becoming homebound wanted to have an oppurtunity to reach out to other people regardless (and still gain some ideas and support as everyone else).
Blank
Jolly, you know I love you man, but with regard to the latter part of your s/n, please drop the "69;" you're SO much classier than that.
Blank
365714_tn?1292202708
I picked my initials + one of my hobbies/passions.  Before I came to medhelp I was actively writing out a series of books. I sort of lost that passion over time like I had before. My passion in writing and art seem to come and go in phases.  I go through dry spells, then I go through stages I'm actively writing and you won't see me at all.

When I first joined, I came on to help parents on the forum to understand their children with autism.  I can't speak for anyone but myself, so I use my life to help others by sharing things about myself. In sharing about myself, some people find things in common with their child.  At the same time I find there are areas I need help in and I'm thankful for everyone who has been patient with me so far.

It's all a learning experience, both the good and bad.  I realized even if I am not working on a story all the time, I still am a writer. It's my passion.  Writing doesn't have to be poetry or art. Even just expressing one's feelings is writing.
Blank
535822_tn?1389452880
A Good friend  used to call me that I thought it was cute ,
Blank
694961_tn?1228736188
And cute it is too.

ILADVOCATE, thank you, I had assumed the IL was 'ill'

And Jollyman, I'm sure the numerals refer to 60's nostalgia, not sexual position, ay?

Everyone else: Thanks, I feel I know you better
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
MedHelp Social Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank