Menopause Community
AM I PRE MENOPAUSE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

AM I PRE MENOPAUSE

I am a 47 yr old female and I have been asking my OBGYN for the last couple of years if I am pre menopausal.  I started my period when I was 10 1/2 - I have been experiencing mood swings, weight gain, night sweats, trouble sleeping, vaginal dryness.  I have explained all of this to my OBGYN and he stated I was too young and I was having aniexty and wanted to prescribed my zoloft. I declined.

Is there anything else I can say or ask so I can be tested to see if I am pre monpausal?
You are not to young to be experiencing all these symptoms.  I started early symptoms as well and now at 49 still going strong.  No period for 9 mo.  All it takes is a simple blood test.  Ask your dr. for one.  My sister is 47 and has started with all the symptoms that you have described.  If possible ask your mother when she started.  That might give you an idea there.  I know they have OTC test but I have never used them so not sure how accurate they are.
Iam 46 and last sept 7 I experienced and anxiety attack but at the time I didn't know what is was I thought it was a heart attack so I called 911 and was rushed to hosp.  My symptoms were tightness on left side of chest then moved to the right tingling and numbing from head to toe and I  had heart palpitations.  The doctor told me women btw the ages of 45-55 who are pre-meopausal are proned to muscle spasms in the chest and anxiety attacks. But at the same time I was stressed and fatigued because we had just moved.  Beginning of jan 2011 I had another attack and I was just lyind down watching a movie I had the whole experience again, after the episode I felt very fatiqued and shaky.  That was sun on the wed I was going to see my doctor for this I had another episode. My doctor did a serious of b/w checking hormones, thyroids, b12 etc. also sending me for a ecg and stress test.  It is scary, but I know it is not my heart it is menopause.  I too have started having hot flashes.  I also get a fuzzy feeling all over.  I know I'm not right something is going on in my body and my doctor who is a GP is on top of it.  I hope this was somewhat helpful
Thank you both so much for the info.  I will ask for the test next month.
Help- Please! This may sound like a stupid question but is there some test that gives you levels of estrogen and all the others that cause my pre-menopausal symptoms?  At 52 I am still menstrating on a regular time table BUT my symptoms are terrible. Like turning into a MONSTER and sweating enough to fill an in ground swimming pool. This cannot be normal.
Like I mentioned above ask your dr. for the blood test.  I can relate to the whole monster and sweating deal.  When I started all this a few years back I was also still getting my period.  Good luck to you.
I don't think you are to young. I am 41, last couple of years, I have been having the night sweats, it was usually 3 to 4 days before I would start. Once I started they would go away. Last year I finally went to an OBGYN and she did the test and I was told that I was pre-menopausal. She told me that she could give me some thing for the night sweats and I declined at that time. I did not have a cycle from March 2010 to Nov 2010, then in December they came back just like clock work. She also told me that if I went 1 year without a cycle that I would probably be in full menopause. So have your doctor do the test, I do not believe that you are to young.

Kristi