Menopause Expert Forum
Am I having hot flashes or something else?

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

I had a total hysterectomy in 1998 and despite not being on HRT, I have not had a single problem in the past 9 years.  All of the sudden (in the past few weeks) I get hot all of the sudden and feel feverish and it lasts an hour or more.  No sweats or anything like that, but I am having problem with insomnia and also low energy/motivation.

I'm 45 and even though, if all things were normal, this would be the time these things might start happening, I'm kinda surprised that it would take so long for this to manifest, and this is why I am wondering what this is.  

Any help/info greatly appreciated.

Trish
Some things are difficult to explain. But one of the most common reasons for the type of situation you are describing is that at the time of your hysterectomy, a tiny piece of ovary was left behind and it was enough to prevent symptoms. At this time, however, your symptoms have arrived along with perimenopause and what to do about it depends on your feelings about estrogen, the degree of problem you are being caused by your symptoms and your medical and family history.

Talk with  your doctor about possible options. A low dose of estrogen could be very helpful if estrogen is appropriate for you. There are also estrogen alternatives such as soy and flaxseed that you can try. Hydration with lots of water, exercise and stress reduction also help.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
Thanks!  Will do.

Trish