Prolonged menstrual cycle at 52 years
I am going to be 53 in March. I went to a new Doctor this year since mine retired. My last check up was in May of this year. Everything checked out good. I was told that my uterus looked great she actually took a picture of it. I never had that done before she told me my uterus was small and firm for a woman my age having given birth 3 times. When my blood test came back Doc said I'm far away from menopause but Cholesterol was high. I have been getting my period exactly every 28 days for at least 8 years. It lasts for no more then 5 days. First day weak second and third day strong and then it fizzles out. The last 2 periods were 10 and 9 days late. Heavy the first day but still gone in around 5 days. This time around it was 9 days late again and it started slow but today is day 13 now and for the last 4 days it gotten heavier. I feel ok, maybe moody a bit more then usual but could be the anxiety of it all... I'm starting to get concerned now and wondering when it is time to see a Doctor. Everything I read online says it can happen during Menopause and is not necessary a reason for concern. But since she told me I'm far away from it all I don't know what to think. How can almost 53 years old be far away.
Recently, I was told something similar.
About 1 month after my 53rd birthday, which was earlier this year, I noticed that my timely, regular periods were a bit haywire. February's period was practically non-existent with only 1 day of barely noticeable spotting. March's period was very weak; but more than February's. Yet, as of April... I'm back to my normal, consistent periods.
The only thing that my doctor said was that he was reluctant to put me on hormone replacement because I "... wasn't there yet" and that I should drink lots of water.
Like you, I was left a little puzzled. But, I've been seeing this same doctor since I was a 16 year old teeny-bopper, so I have a lot of trust in him... even if I don't fully understand his reasoning.
I'm new and did not realize I posted it already once, I elaborated a bit more on the second one... since I thought all these things make a difference.
Thank you for your answer I just don't understand going on 14 days of bleeding now with no end in sight. I wish my doctor would not have retired she was around my age and I felt so much better with her. Good for you having the same doc since 16.
I am/was German then, my doctors have been all over the place (Military wife)