Menopause Community
can i get menopause at 25?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

can i get menopause at 25?

im a 25 year old woman. since i had my 3rd child i have been going through alot of changes i got migraing i never had. i get hot flashes. i cant sleep . i get mood swings  i feel like im going crazy and cant breath at times i never went through any of this stuff. no doctor knows what is wrong with me.  they wont test me for menopause. say im to young. at one time my migrains got so bad i had a sezure . doctors were stumped i never had them before and none since i dont know what is wrong with me
I guess it's not impossible for someone to go through early menopause but, 25 is extremely unlikely to be the case unless it was surgically induced (ie: hysterectomy) or chemically induced by hormone supplementation.  Are you taking birth control pills?  I assume not since your doc is stumped.  

Have you had your thyroid checked?  Thyroid (hyperactive) may be causing some of these symptoms.  I'd get a referral to a really good endocrinologist and see if they can figure out what hormones in your endocrine system may be out of whack.  I'd rather doubt that it could be menopause but, it could be something along the lines of an ovarian cyst or, again, a thyroid problem.  Are you losing weight or gaining it?  Any problems with your periods?  Brittle hair?  Racing heart?  Losing hair?  I'd give your thyroid a good check if they haven't already.  
All of a sudden at 28 I found out I was going through menopause and before I was 29 my periods completely stopped.  My doctor was totally stumped but said that sometimes that can happen for no known reason.  The changes happened really quickly to me shortly after I had my fourth child so they were very confusing at the time and the sweating and hot flushes just made no sense.

It makes sense to get your hormone levels checked now for a baseline and again in a couple of months to check any changes.

Hope you find out and feel better soon.
Any Doctor that wont consider menopause; wont think outside the box should be avoided. My doctors would not consider my symptoms as menopause and I was over 40.
Instead they want to send you to the psychiatrist. And antidepressants are one of the most dangerous class of drugs there are.  I am now 46 and post menopausal and have been so for a year. All those symptoms you speak of are gone. Before I go to a doctor anymore, I find out more about the doctor. I talk to their office staff or manager. Ask if they have ever treated anyone with premature menopause. Make it clear you are not trying to self diagnose, but you want to make sure that the doctor has experience in a case like this. Or in finding someone, you think outside of the box. Find out from fertility specialists who they refer their clients to for premature menopause or related disorders. Fertility specialists will have no doubt run into women with this type of problem. You are not trying to get pregnant right now so it would not benefit you to see them, but I bet they could give you a great referral. Make sure the nurse or staff person who is doing to referring understands your concerns about your problem being taken seriously. And then as I said talk to their staff. You will get a feel for whether or not they are sympathetic people.
Keep a journal of your symptoms, which ones and when they occur. Doctors love facts. From their perspective it is difficult to make an assessment of someone on your first visit. They meet alot of patients that are not so self aware. So if you have a historical record to take with you it saves time and gets you a more accurate diagnosis.
I had a reduction mammoplasty once. For years afterwards little pieces of stitching would work their way out of my chest and even out of my eyebrown area. This type of procedure requires a tune up every ten years or so for vanity sake. I had given the stitching to someone who had it verified as suture that is supposed to dissolve years before. I went to a plastic surgeon about ten years later to discuss a tune up. I told him what happened and he essentially told me it wasnt true and that I was wrong despite having had it examined at a lab. I talked to the nurse from another plastic surgeon who told me that it happens all of the time.
It is hard to find doctors that really care. It is hard to find doctors that will listen to what you are saying. You live in your body they dont. So try my suggestion. In the meantime, do what you need to do to make yourself comfortable. Explain to your loved ones that they need to be understanding. Know you will find the right doctor. Patients have to be informed consumers these days. If you in deed are going through menopause be very careful of the drugs they might want to give you. Research them and their side effects, drug interactions. I cant say anything here but a wise older friend told me that it was just best to go through it now and get it over with. I am not sure of the ramifications of that advice at your age. Lets just say that I had all of the symptoms and I was a weepy uncomfortable mess for several years. But I got through it without taking medication and without a hysterectomy. You are in my prayers darlin. Yodajojo
Dear Jessy

You are so lucky to have 3 Kids

I have menopause when i was 25 years old i was just  starting my life after university and at that time i was at a begginig of love relation when this problem started , and from that time all my life convert upsidedown and i lost every thing , i lost my chance to be a mother i lost my love even i lost the good relation with my other sitsters because i hate to feel the pitty  feelings of them about me , even i lost my faith in God who took all my hopes at once with no reason ,  I am now 42 years old , i have nothing to live for and until now i can't believe what happen to me .
Hi there, sorry to hear about your situation, I am 28 years old with similar symptoms etc as yourself but unfortantly I have severe periods...up and down all the time (have posted a note to mention my situation). But a bit confused on your doctor?? as soon as I went to the doctors and mentioned my problem they are testing me on Monday (1st March) for levels of hormones and my thyroid just incase its that, because apparently the thyroid can also cause similar symptoms, which I thought was quite mad?!!
But refusing to do a test because your too young is out of order because you can have the menopause even at a puberty age! so this is wrong and I suggest you get a second opinion of ANOTHER doctor if possible...as I think you might need to have this test to leave you assured that everything might be ok or if there is a problem they can sort it straight away, otherwise as you know this may become worse...I hope this helps your situation and I will let you know my blood results in about a weeks time...Take care Kelz :)
Hi I am so very srry to hear what u are going through. I am 27 and a mother of two. Ever since my last child my teeth just fall out healthy teeth. I had to have my thyroid totally removed.  My bones are aging faster than I am. I just started where I haven't had a period in two months not prego. Mood swings to where I actually want to strangle someone. Horrible migraines so bad my nose bleeds and I passout. Sweating is so bad. Can go 3 days without sleep. Nothing helps. Have had to have knee surgery because bones are bad. Had my gullbladder (gallbladder) removed. My TSH levels are good. My doctors can't tell me anything they say they can only fix what is going on at that certain time. I am very lucky I had carsanoma cancer in my thyroid and they got it out but said it could come back. I am in so much pain with my joints but doctors won't give anything say I'm to young to be on pain killers or xanax for my stress. I have asked about menopause but then again I am to young they won't test me for it. Heck they won't check me for anything about my bones its funny they see my fingers cramp up and get all weird looking and the swelling in all most all my joints weight gain but they won't help and I don't know who to get ahold for this if anyone has any idea about a doctor who can help me with my sypmtoms that would be awesome. OoooO and yes losing ur breath and not being able to breath the most horrible feeling ever. U try to grasp the air inhale it but it doesn't come. Goodluck hun I hope someone can help you.
I am sooo sorry to hear what happend to you! Have you ever consitered adoption? I am sure god has a great plan for you! Its just not the way you would have done things. you will be in my prayers!!
The last month I've been tired all the time, moodswings, off the charts migraines, no sex drive, hot flashes, can't sleep at night, am I going through menopause I'm 36 years old.. My mom went through menopause at 36. What's wrong what me?
I am 25 right now and I have been going through SO much here recently trying to get my body feeling normal again. I have had two children and it just seems like things haven't been right since. I was severely moody, irritable, aweful hot flashes, couldn't sleep, I would sweat a lot....I finally went and got my hormones balanced and come to find out I was low on almost everything. Not to mention I have had hypothyroidism for 7 years now. They have not said I am menopausal but they haven't ruled it out either. So yes it is possible...I am 25 and on 3 hormones and 3 vitamins. AND my synthroid for my thyroid.  I have tried so many different things at this point so I'm hoping once this gets more regulated things will start to look up. I suggest u do the same thing. If your doctor wont do it, there are places that will. I went somewhere called the FemCentre and they have been fabulous!!  Good luck to you...I know the exact struggles u are going through and it isn't easy.
i am 28. i am having irregular periods,brittle nails,losing hair,weight gain, tired all the time,can not sleep,irriatablie,mood swings,no concentration. what is wrong with me?                                                                                                                                                                     confussed28
It might be happening due to some harmonal changes in your body ,but according to me Menopause at age of 25 not possible because because your body is in still harmonal growing stage.
Get your blood tests done.