Menopause Community
frequent periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

frequent periods

I'm 42 and started menopause around 40 and for the last 5 to 6 months my period has been every 2 weeks like clockwork and when I start my period the first 2 to 3 days its very heavy and then is just disappears for 1 to 2 days and then its back for the remaining time ( It last a week ).Is this normal for menopause and how long does this last until I dont have anymore periods.
Yes, I had this.  With the frequent periods, too.  My sister has the same thing (where it stops and starts).  I've been to the doc for everything and nothing was amiss.  I don't think you should worry about this at all.  

They get lighter as you get older.  
Oh gosh, and here I thought I was the only one... frequent periods, start off normally, abate for as any as two days, then start up again like brand new. Thanks, Mother Nature...
Anyway, in my case I'm NOT menopausal (although I am 40 and all the women in my family are early to start) but I do have just one VERY active ovary ( I had one removed due to a large dermoid cyst). In any case for years I swore I had PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) but my doctors pooh-poohed me because I was not fat... however I wound up in the ER for an unrelated issue requiring an MRI and the doctor came back and said "as in "Incidentaloma" we discovered your remaining ovary is VERY cystic". Yeah, no kidding.
My OB tells me that since I am firing on just one ovary now, it's making up for the loss of the second and while I could take birth control pills to regulate the activity, they all have side effects I don't appreciate, so for now I'm just praying for menopause. However the entire point (I am getting there) is that 1) you may indeed have an issue with overactive ovaries, and the ONLY way to know for sure is via ultrasound or MRI so the doctor can SEE how many cysts you're blowing (since the mechanics of your period starting relate to  the "death" of an egg- it makes sense if you are shedding more eggs, you will get your period more frequently) and 2) there are birth control pills which you can take even if you don't need them for "birth control". As for homeopathic remedies, I have heard that Evening Primrose oil is great for helping regulate menses but alas I'm not one of those people who are good at taking things everyday unless threatened with death so I've not tried it.