Menopause Expert Forum
hot flashes

Questions in the Menopause forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include menopause issues, depression, hormone replacement therapy , hot flashes, joint or muscle problems, memory problems, mood swings, osteoporosis , sexual problems, skin changes, sleeping problems, vaginal problems, and weight problems.

hot flashes

hey my question is , i had a total female orgain removel (removal),  when i was 23, but am 48 now and still having the hot flashes. is that right, can after 23 years am still in menopause. i also have anxiety bad at times and tingling of head/when having the hot flashes. i wake up sweating still and through the day have them ,just hot feelings. just though when everything was took out that i went through it and it was over but still with me 23 years later . thank you .
Although most women stop having hot flashes by the end of three years, some do continue for 10 years or more. Twenty three years is obviously a very long time and an unusually long time as well. Talk to  your doctor about other possible causes of anxiety and hot flashes. Check your blood sugar test, your thyroid hormones and if those are normal, ask for a more complete physical exam and evaluation. If the symptoms turn out to be due to menopause, talk with your doctor about  taking estrogen (or an estrogen alternative if you cannot or will not take estrogen). It might be that the potential risks are worth it for the benefit of stopping the hot flashes and anxiety after 23 years.
Machelle M. Seibel, MD
dr can you answer this for me plz