Menopause Community
long periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to menopause, depression, hormone replacement therapy, hot flashes, mood swing, skin changes, and problems with joints/muscle, memory, sex, sleeping, vagina, and weight.

long periods

im 44, 45 in november. my periods are starting to get irregular over the last 6 months. they are either 3 days or not at all. this month august 1st my period started and it was a regular period of flow well at the end of 7 days it was still going. today is the 24th and for the first time in 24 days i havent bled yet..it is 11am my time ...i am conserned ..is it normal to have a long period like that...could this also be the last period i have as i hear that you do stop your periods in menopause ..INPUT PLEASE.....
                                                      chaosmom
You sound like me.  I am 48 and last year was when my periods started messing all up.  I can't ever count on the date I'm supposed to start.  What happens is also that if I have a normal period--say around 6 or 7 days.  Then maybe two days later I'll have spotting.  That can go off and on for maybe 4 or 5 days.  But there's hardly any spotting.  Then I get cramping two weeks before my period and I'm thinking I'm going to start and I don't get my period.  I was supposed to start my period Sunday but there's nothing at all.
Long periods do go hand and hand with menopause. Unfortunately menopause isn't something that appears one day it is a long process. For approx. 7 years I was on the road to menopause. It began with irregular periods, several periods in a month, periods that lasted anywhere from 1-8 weeks. It was not a fun time in life at all. There were several times when I went as long as 8 months without a period...only to kick back in regular as clockwork. Talk about disappointing.

It's been a year and 2 months now since I've had a period. I'm knocking on wood that it's over. However, I keep seeing messages on this board that indicate a period could pop up out of the blue. I wonder if we're ever really done?

~Grace
Am 44 have always had 5day periods,this month i had a seven day period,then spotted for4 days and went back to bleeding again,and passing clots this has never happen before,this is the fourth day still bleeding!!!!!!!! is this the start of Menopause