Migraines & Headaches Community
Adrenaline, Hypotension & Headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Adrenaline, Hypotension & Headaches

Can you explain why a severe, short lasting headache would occur during an adrenaline rush when a person has a problem with hypotension.

Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Would you be able to elaborate more with what you meant by adrenaline rush?

Was there an emergency which caused you the headaches?

Also, what caused the hypotension? Was this hypotension due to an acute blood loss like acute and profuse bleeding?

Was the hypotension due to a cardiac problem?

Was there any nerve or neurologic problem involved here that could have caused the drop in blood pressure?
Not sure why the hypotension, maybe systemic viral infection, maybe diabetes, excessive diarrea (diarrhea), dehydration, etc.
Adrenaline rush such as standing from a seated or lying position, climbing stairs, running, bending over, sudden fear or anger.  Taking a hot shower always brings on the worst short term headache.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Blood pressure varies when lying down or standing up.When one stands abruptly from a lying position, the body has to adjust to this. Blood pools in the lower extremities and when one stands up the blood pressure drops momentarily.But the body is quick to respond, by increasing heart rate and constricting  blood vessels via the action of your nerves.This increases blood flow to the heart and to the brain.You may be able to experience throbbing pain or sudden dizziness when this happens.

If you are hypotensive, the pain may be due to lack of blood flow or oxygenation to the brain.Hypotension due to acute blood loss or dehydration needs immediate intervention. However, with hypotension other associated symptoms should be noted eg dizziness,weakness, faintness, pallor and increase in heart rate.Evaluation of the heart and neck vessels may also be necessary in your case.

Hi there
I dont know about the hypotension, but i get adrenaline rush all the time from anxiety and when its particularly intense I do get a temporary headache and i think its from all the adrenaline or the tension and strain you put on your muscles including neck and head, but this pain is usually temporary and goes away as soon as my anxiety decreases. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Hi Mayya.  Thanks for your input.  I can have up to 20-30 pains on a bad day.  They only last about 3-5 minutes each.  Bad thing is, I'm having these bad days almost 3-4 times a week now for at least the last 6 months.  I've gained 30 lbs in this time cause I can't do anything.  It's not normal that you and I get these pains and I think the doctor has it right when she mentioned "lack of blood flow or oxygenation to the brain".  I have appointments with a new neurologist and a new endocronologist coming up at the end of the month.  Maybe they'll listen to me.  I'll let you know what happens.
I get migraines in response to anxiety.  Can anyone offer any solutions to manage anxiety without drugs?

Thanks.