Migraines & Headaches Community
Botox for headaches? Please I'm desperate!

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I'm 23 yr old female.i feel like Iv almost rode everything out there for my constant head pain. I have three diff types of headache along with chronic neck pain from car accidents. I suffer from almost daily migrianes, constant muscle contraction headaches in my scalp, and chronic tension headaches in base of skull and neck/shoulders. Iv tried preventatives that did nothing but bad side effects. Along with all sorts of pain meds. I currentlly take ibuprofen almost daily as relpax for my migrianes when needed one with a shot of sumatriptan (immetrex) injected in my leg when the relpax fails to work. Those are only acute meds and have to b taken wisely so I use them sparingly. I only get ten pills a month anyways.iv also had 6 nerves burned on left side of neck and  an occipital nerve block in skull. Both worked very minimally. I go see a headache specialist next week. I want to ask him about botox in my scalp where my daily constant muscle contraction headaces come from, and also for my migrianes. I'm scared about the drooping eye side effect. I'm wondering if it really helps or not. I'm sorry if there's a lot of words misspelled Iv been in bed for over 72 hours with pain. I'm trying to type this with my migriane sunglasses on and an ice pack on head but I'm desperate to know if it's helped ppl. I hope someone can help me and resume me there's hope. I'm scared I will live my life in bed Intil the day I die and never b able to have kids or plan my  future wedding due to me never being able to plan anything cuz my headaches are so unpredictable. I im giving up hope. I should also mention I currently take all the proper vitamins daily and I'm on birth control to control my hormone levels. I really don't know what else there is to do! I do massage and accupunture as well. No chiro cus it make me worse. Please help of u can. Thank u! Alyssa.
Hi! Sorry to hear that. A headache specialist is a good start. You need an experts help to get out of this vicious cycle.

Botox has almost no side effects compared to other drugs when injected by a person who knows what he or she is doing. Definitely worth a try. Doesn't work for everybody though.

If you want to try a non pharmaceutical approach (Botox can get expensive and isn't for everyone) you might want to consider a treatment called EEG Neurofeedback.  My wife gets these treatments.  She had three day and longer migraines and the episodes are now only lasting hours.  I can't say enough about EEG Neurofeedback which is completed in a trained psychologists' office.  Some health insurance covers the cost and it is not nearly as costly as Botox.  If you need more information just ask me and I'll get it for you.
Ed
My boyfriend just had a very bad sharp pain shoot up the bottom part of his head on up... He started to freak out... What is this ... I need some help with this one ???
Alyssa, so sorry to hear about your headaches. I started in my teens and by ur age was also having migraines , muscle contraction headaches and tension headaches, everyday . I am now 68 and still plagued with daily headaches. In another chronic pain forum people suggested asking my doctor to add a muscle relaxer to my meds. I have been taking Flexeril  twice a day and think it has helped. I generally have more hours in a day with no headache or less of a headache. Only a chronic headache sufferer would think a few hours a day of feeling better is worth mentioning. If I was your age I would probably try Botox .  I have MS, Fibromyalgia and brain aneurysms.
I hope u r able to get some relief. (Oh, I found excedrin to work best for OTC meds) Nicky