Half body numbness, vision problems and migraines.
I have this half body numbness, vision problems and migraines since I was only 12 years old. It never happened more than once in 6 months period, some times it happens only once in 3 years but rare.
When ever this kind of problem occurs, my whole day and the next gets reserved with pain. Some times it triggers by bright sun shine or a camera flash. My vision starts getting impaired and then I cannot see objects clear (see mostly shadows). Some times it directly triggers by suddenly numbing my right hand fingers (I believe this happened to my left hand side body as well) and then slowly moves to my other right hand side body parts i.e. arm, leg, lip, nose and eye etc. I usually try to sleep so by the time I will wake up I will be start feeling better but it never happened. By the time I wake up after an hour or so, I will be having severe migraine pains on the left hand side of my head. I take Excedrin, Advil, Tylenol or Ibuprofen to get rid of this pain but no help. Some times I stay home and some times my family members take me to the hospital so the doctors can do something for pain but it never helped. I usually get big vomiting too. Another important point is that I cannot even speak correctly, I would be speaking incomplete and wrong words, this starts happening after half of my tongue gets numb and I believe one of the reason in speaking wrong and crazy words is that perhaps half of my brain gets numb as well.
I have never done an MRI but got some other brain scans done including blood test, blood sugar, uric acid and blood pressure etc. but everything looked normal. Please help me to diagnose this problem. I apologize of writing such a long essay. Thanks
i have been getting migraines 3 or 4 times a week now.
Was in a car accident about 2 yrs ago and they are more severe now and more often.
Today i got a ora and could only see the top half of people.
this is the first time this has happened.Usually it is only the sides i cant see
Has anyone else had this happen?

Judy from canada
Hi Judy,
Your aura can be different  with every migraine you have. If there is a drastic change in your migraine patterns you should contact your neurologists and let them know. Have you had a Brain MRI ?

Please Take Care, Theresa
wow i never guessed that migranes could lead to body numbness.  i get frequent migranes but have never experianced body numbness until today.  it was the first time one whole side of my body went completly numb.  then i felt i got hit in the head with a sledge hammer and my vision got all blurry.  it was one of the scariest things ever and it is nice to see that i am not alone or crazy!
hi dh4ever,
sorry to hear that you went thru the same symptoms, and I totally understand that It could be really scary. If it's the first time you had body numbness and vision problems then I hope that you dont get it more frequently, If you do talk to your doctor and try Atenolol 50mg or 100mg every night before bed for 2 months. These symtoms are refer to as Auras, signals which tells you that you're going to have severe migrane that is severe pain on one side of your head, for me it's always left side of my head and body numbness is always on the right side of my body including hand, arm, tongue, lip, head, leg etc.
With atenolol I did pretty good until a month ago when again I had these symptoms, it was after a long time though (exactly 2 yrs and 1 month) I took Immitrex 50mg right away so I never got the pain in head.
Hope this info helps you and I pray that you dont get this Aura and migraine again.
As bad as it sounds it makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one who suffers from these ordeals. I'm a 27 year old, male who has been having these minor strokes/complex migraines since I was 16. My first one was only a headache with body numbness. At the time I was in a friend's basement and a strobe light was on. I believe that was the initial cause. Through the years they have sped up their occurrences. It went from once every few months to once a month. They also changed from partial numbness to a traveling numbness on my right side. Such as my hand will go numb and then it will move up my arm, proceeding to my face. As far as I can remember the vomiting stage was only once. However when they happen I lose my ability to think of specific words/form proper sentences, the eyesight of my right eye allows me to see what I refer to as tv static on a blank screen, my coordination is out the door (simple tasks such as texting or typing are impossible), as I breathe through my nose the air smells funny to me, walking is sometimes hard depending on where my numbness is (as I said it travels through my body, never has my full right side been numb at once), and a splitting headache lasts for several hours. I do think that it is somehow stress related. I haven't had an incident in over 6 months and I'm overjoyed. I can sense them coming due to my eyesight starting to blur. When they start to happen I take an OTC pill called Vanquish. It does ease some of the pain. I have a bad habit of mass consuming Mountain Dew which is high in caffine. I'm attempting to limit my general caffine intake as well as change my diet to see how it affects all of this. I do appreciate all of the advice everyone has put on here. It's a shame that so much money has been wasted on all of these tests to come out with zero results. I wish you all luck in dealing with this. If ever anyone comes up with a good fix email me at ***@**** Thank you. Adam K.
Zomig (ZOLMITRIPTAN) 5mg Inhaler is the silver bullit. When it starts use one inhaler, and you will feel it lift. You know exactly what I am talking about. The first time I used it, I actually found myself waiting for the pain to come back, but it did not happen. It is wonderful.
Thanks for the Zomig inhaler suggestion, my cousin who is a Neuro-Surgeon also recommended this medication, will definitely get it.
I am 18 y/o i had this half body numbness, 2days ago i just felt it on my fingers but last night upon surfing the net my left leg became numb and I don't know why. I don't have a headache, I don't know what's going on, please do help me.
hi
i am 16 years old and suffer from all fo these things and im glad to know im not the only one. i find that some on these are triggerd by so kinda of thing in a food( not sure yet prob :sugar,caffeine or sothign else found in pop,chocolate, chocolate milk, kool-aid mix,.).. i avoid these things and they usally dont happen that offten anymore.
my name is kelia, I'm seventeen and have had migraines since first grade. it's usually once every three months or so, but it also can be sporadic. it starts out with my peripheral vision going away. i'll look at someones face and i can only see half of it. that's usually when i take aleve (the only medication that's really helped so far) so i can combat the migraine early. my left hand goes numb, and i can't think of words to complete sentences. when people talk it does not register, and basically seems like they're speaking another language. by this point i try and fall asleep so i don't have to deal with these weird side effects. my lip and most of the left side of my face goes numb. when all of the weird side effects are over, i usually have a very subtle yet throbbing pain in the occipital lobe area of my head for about two days. aleve does not make this pain go away, but it's tolerable. i drink a lot of coffee, but i never drink it during migraines. i had a migraine today and it was all caused by stress (finals week). hopefully this helps someone!
Hi my name is Justin Nelson. I am 23 years old and I have had severe headaches( I think Migraines) for about 5 years. It first started when I was at work and I had to ask my manager to go home, because I felt like crap. Before I get these migraines my eyesight becomes blurred with these weird blotches of light, sometimes with the light being in a zig-zag or flashing pattern. Then my left, (rarely right) side of my face(cheeks, lips, tounge) becomes numb with like a weird "buzzing" feeling, and sometimes my left(rarely right) hand, arm, and leg will go numb with the same "buzzing" feeling. Then the bad headache will set in. Sometimes I will become disoriented before the eyesight becomes blurred, like you spun me around or I'm on a roller coaster or something. I never went to the doctor for them as I could manage them. Recently I have had heart palpitations which I went to the cardiologist for. Everything turned out fine, with the doctor saying that I had a "very common" type of palpitation. As of right now, the palpitations have went away for the most part, but I still get vision blurs(Auras?). I have found that if I go and sit down somewhere and breath deep and close my eyes for about 15 minutes the Auras will go away. I take over the counter sinus medication sometimes(Tylenol sinus severe(Acetaminophen, Guafenesin, Phenylephrine)), and if I ever do get the vision blur I take one of these pills and it doesn't make the numbness or vision blur go away, but it will make the headache stop. Hope this works for some of you. I am also thinking about getting an MRI done. God bless all of you.
Any severe headache, numbness of face, tongue or arms,
confusion and weakness together with these symptoms,
might be symptoms of a stroke. It's better to go to the hospital
right away.
My son and I both have migraines but his has advances to complete body numbness.  Has anyone had this happened?  We went to the ER last night because it really scared us.  He had three of these numbness episodes yesterday and one today.  Does anybody know if this frequency is normal we are in limbo waiting to see a Nero.
I am new to this site but need some help.  I am 49 and never suffered from migranes before. Recently (about 5 months now) I have been dibilatated from the migranes.  I have had full work up of testing (MRI, CT you name it) and it has shown nothing.  I have tried various medications and few give relief.  I get the warning signs of vision loss with some pain, then chills, then wham pain (usually behind the eyes but not always),  I try to sleep it off but sometimes the pain is to much and even that doesn't help.  The next day I have super sensativity to hearing and light.  Also my body is so drained that I barely can get off the couch.  Has anyone found any relief with dietary changes - aside from staying away from the obvious "trigger" items.  Something like an organic diet or eating schedule?  I have given accupuncture a try but it is not helping to much.  I was told it is hormone driven but not sure if another visit to another specialist is the way to go as they all seem to think I am nuts.
Hello, given your age you might be having migraine triggered by hormone loss.  I use some things that help with migraine, including magnesium supplements, calcium, vitamin D, and USP progesterone drops for the skin.  

Regarding the lady with brain lesions, do get tested for Lyme disease.  I have celiac disease (first symptom was unexplained anemia) and since going gluten free migraine symptoms have improved.  One in 130 people have celiac disease and it is a simple blood test to tell with 95 percent accuracy if you do.  

Regarding migraine, trial and error seems to be the best at developing prevention strategies. Stress management and enough sleep are most important for me.

I am 25 and just starting to experience Migranes . I visits the doctors a couple of weeks ago and they said I could have possibly damaged the nerve endings in my neck (this is really common if you work in an office job and are sat down or day).

The left side of my face goes numb, my neck feels stiff and I feel really sick (even drinking water is a challenge) and you do panic because it actually feels like you are having a stroke.

It is comforting to know I am not the only one and thanks for all your suggestions
You just described my life and this is exactly what happen to me last night. Its so crazy to see someone else having the samething as me going on the doctors have no clue what it is and I normally get taken to the hospital and put on pain meds tell its gone.
Hey Im 16 and since I was 14 and started high school I've had migranies I've been to a dozen on doctors and they all say I'm fine. They haven't precribed any type of medication but I get numb when the pain is on the left side of my head I get numb on the left and vis versa. I really want to know is there any type of medication I could take. Thank You
I just typed this in google because this is what happens to me since i was like 14 i am 23 now and only happens maybe 3 to 4 times a year.. the numbness then my eyes go funny.. the speach thing also happens(kinda glad someone else is getting it too because its freaking me out) the only thing is i only some times get migraines with it.. HEEEEELP MEE haha
Certainly helps to read everyone's comments because I've been feeling like I'm going crazy.  I have suffered from migraines for years, but usually half one or two a month.  The last few weeks have been rough on me - won't go into details but my mom passed away, I've had problems with my family, my spouse, and a lot of stress.  For the past 5 days I've had a headache, one side of my temple has been pounding, and my lips have been numb until finally went to the doctor yesterday who gave me T3's with codeine, and told me to double my migraine medication.  Now I'm nauseous and vomiting.  I'm thinking that until I can get rid of some of the stress in my life, I'm going to be feeling horrible (and that will be quite a while).  At least I know I'm not alone in my misery.
KRISTY
It's very comforting to know that I'm not alone in this. I had a very bad experience two days ago. My whole left side went numb, from my head to my tow. I felt like going crazy. I couldnt even speak. I panicked and start screaming very bad. My friend calle the 999. In the hospital they couldn't find anything. But it's very helpful to know that I'm not alone in this. Thank you.
All of these symptoms also happen to me. But way more often then you describe. The drs say i am a total mysery and that they will try sending me to a specialist. (Neurologist) I have had every blood test in the book as well as ct scans. It got so bad that along with these symptoms I also had a sprained right and left ankle (without having hurt them whatsoever) I will have my right arm go entirely numb and half of my face and tongue. I sound like I am intoxicated and I have to have my husband speak for me until it is over. My episodes happened the worst whil I was pregnant and in my last trimester so thats what they were worried about. They checked for blood clotting and stroke signs. They found nothing. But whats their excuse when I am no longer pregnant and getting them all the time. They are so bad that I cannot function. I curl up in a ball and its honeslty like you are paralized :( Waiting to see a specialist but thats another 6 months + :(
Just got out of the hospital, thought I was having a stroke At work today with all the symptoms listed above. I am 22 and the doctors had no idea what was going on. I had an ecg and scans. At least now I know thanks
I think I am in this boat as well. I have been gettng migraines for years... but it seems they are getting worse. I recently had my first where the right side of my body went tingly/numb too. I am very stressed and drinking more caffeine and not sleeping enough - so I think all that combined is making the migraines worse. I am also having some joint/muscle/tendon pain on that same side too. Exercise also is seeming to aggravate it, which is a shame, because mentally, the exercise helps me.... but I think physically it is stressing my body out! Can't win. I had tons of bloodwork and a brain and cervical spine MRI done... all normal.
Hello sweetie! I've had these migraines since I was 13 and they are head splitting! I can't stand without getting dizzy and almost collapsing and I can't see out of one of my eyes because I get bright spots. I almost throw up and cry uncontrolably. My side of my face goes numb and I can't speak correctly. I take antimigraine pills but I'm sorry to say they don't help. A couple things that do help are sitting in a dark room with a cold rag over your face and the fan on high or if it's cold out sit on your porch or outside for ten minutes and take deep breaths  slowly. I know it's very difficult to think straight and I often can't finish sentences because I can't remember what I was going to say. I've found it nice to sit quietly for a few hours. If sleep isn't possible make sure the room your in is dark.  Remember. You are not alone! Many people struggle with this problem. Now, I should probably tell you what it is. What you are experiencing is called a Complex Migraine. Hardly any medicine helps and the best thing is to try to not cry and remain calm. Do not play music and try to avoid as much noise and light as possible. I've had an MRI and im telling you it will not help. I hope I've been of assistance and that you feel better soon. If you have anymore questions post again and I'll be happy to answer. Bye!
My daughter suffers from basilar/hemiplegic migraines for 4 years now, she is now on diamond as a preventative. Along with medication and diet she has them pretty well controlled.  
sorry, the medication is DIAMOX...
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I AM 55 AND HAVE HAD MIGRAINES SINCE I WAS 5 BUT JUST EXPERIENCED MY FIRST WHOLE LEFT SIDE NUMBNESS AND ITS BEEN NUMB FOR 10 DAYS.  I GOT RID OF THE MIGRAINE BUT NOT THE NUMBNESS.  DID THIS HAPPEN TO YOU?
Karen, I'm going through that right now. I have had migraines on and off for years. But this is the first time I went numb. I usually have tracers in my eyes or smell certain things no one else does. I have been numb on my entire left side for a little over three weeks, no head ache ususally, but from time to time I do get one, nothing extremely too much to bare and over the counter meds take it away. My neurologist has me on Proponal, but I think I'm going to start taking Fish Oil and Magnesium as well, seem like they work well from what others have said on this site and others. I have been on the Proponal for a week and I don't feel any difference. I really just want the numbness to go away. I have had MRIs and CAT Scans, all came out ok.
I have been getting bad migraines for about 4 years. I started wearing glasses a year ago and have only had two since. I find my migraines are similar to most on here. I get blurred vision and when at work its the worse time to get a migraine working with machinery ect... After the blurred vision has gone i get numbness on my lips and cheeks and occasionally my hands a tingling sensation . Reading some of the comment on here I'm defiantly going to seek a medication and even get some test done, as its very worrying at times.

I'm 22 and have been suffering since I was 17 or 18.
I have suffered from migraines since I was 8 years old. At the age if 26 I started with similar symptoms, numbness and weakness on one side. Slurring and unable to put sentences together, confusion. My throat goes numb. After those symptoms subside, I get an excruciating migraine on the opposite side. My MRI came back abnormal with white spots. The first neurologist I saw diagnosed me with Hemiplegic migraines. The one I see now just refers to them as migraine with aura? Not sure if they're the same thing? I was prescribed topamax, which is by far the worst drug I have ever been on. I went off that and tried several others with no help. I am currently on calan but I don't think it's doing much to help. I take zomig when I am in horrible pain. I have four children so I'm sure stress is a contributing factor. I also find that long car rides will bring them on, that could be stress again! My mom and grandfather also suffer from these types of migraines. I also am anemic even though I eat a diet high in iron and take a vitamin that contained iron. I don't know if that has an affect on anything or not.
Hi there, my name is sam and i have been haveing migraines since i was sixteen, i am now 39. I am just recivering from one as i speak, i too have what is largely known as the aura type migraine, the first one i ever experiebced was at the age of sixteen i was rushed to the hospital as my father was convinced that i was having a srtoke, it turned iut it was migraine symtons. I dont always get a headache with mine, i tend to get the numbness down my left side face numb, hand tingle. I have even had the numbness travel up my left arm, to the point of where i wonder if it will stop, but thankfully it always does. They dont get any easier, everytime i have one i panick, i hate it! i try to calm myself down. I have been experiencing lately that the blindness i get in my left side of my vision can come on very suddenly, i can be perfectly fine one minute then the next i cant see propaly.
I have been to the doctors and he prescribed me a drug called " Pizotefin" i have been reading all the other peoples related experiences on this site but have not come across anyone else using this drug. It does help.......i think.....i have to take one tablet everyday. I say i think it works....my migraines have calmed down, i was averaing two to three a week, now on average i get one every six to eight weeks. They are terrible things and no-one knows what they are like until you have experienced them. I i can help anyone out for a chat, just reply. Best wishes
Everyone!!
I've suffered from migraines for the past 5-6 years, and they have gradually been getting worse. Now when I get them, I can't move or see anything, and the only way to get rid of it is to be sick and try to sleep. Yesterday I had a really strange migraine where I had the headache the queasiness, and then my body started going numb- just on the left hand side. I couldn't talk, move, or see anything. I've never felt anything like this before. I rang up the pharmacist this morning to get some more of my prescription tablets, and he was concerned about the numbess. Said I needed to go to the doctors and have tests.
I'm reading all these comments, trying to see if anyone else suffers the same, and it is very reasurring that there are others. It drives me mad when I can't do anything and people say 'it's just a headache'.
Now waiting for my partner to get home, as I can't drive. I hate these things.
Does everyone get the numbness on the left hand side? And has anyone had any luck with working out how to get rid of these long term? I seem to have one every 2 weeks at the worst, and one a month at best.
I agree with your pharmacist.  Be sure to go to a doctor.  This site cannot give diagnoses.

Good luck to you.

Sara
I have the same symptoms. Mine usually start with blind spots in my vision. Then I get left sided weakness and tingling. My tongue and throat get numb. My speech is slurred and I can't come up with the correct words because I get extremely confused. I try to sleep through those symptoms but then wake up with a horrible migraine on the opposite side, which usually lasts into the next day. I have been admitted to the hospital twice because they thought I was having mini strokes. I was eventually diagnosed with Hemaplegic/Complicated Migraines. My MRI comes back abnormal and shows white spots. I have been on Topamax(worst med ever!). Noritryptaline, and Calan(verapamil). With no relief. I take Zomig for the pain and usually end up having to add Advil on top of zomig. I get these migraines, usually once per month or every two months. I am not able to be on any hormones such as birth control pills because certain hormones contribute. Plus these types of migraines raise your risk of having a stroke. I have not found a doctor that is totally familiar with these migraines. Do your best to find a good neurologist that specializes in migraines. These migraines are scary to deal with, especially because they seem to come on without much notice and they are debilitating. Please try to find a good DR! Good luck and keep us updated!
Why don't you ask your doctor for a different daily prophylactic migraine medication other than Topomax which you say is the worst. There are others that you could try.  
Above with SoccerMom's recommendation to find a really good neurologist, you might try to find a headache specialist, although there are far fewer of them, so potentially more difficult to find.  But since they only deal with headaches, they are more likely to comprehend a more unusual kind of headache.

Good luck to you.
I have been on several different preventive meds. Topamax, noritryptaline, celexa and the latest was verapamil which is a calcium channel blocker. I was actually having more migraines on some of them. I see a headache specialist but there are only a handful of them in the country that have actually ever treated this type of migraine. I definitely think that hormones play a role for me, as I have one of these migraines during every period, so there may never be a medication that works for me. The only hormone they will allow me to use is estrogen. I add that before my period to prevent a sudden decrease which can lead to migraines but still doesn't help. My grandfather and my mom also get these migraines. Two of my children do also. None of us see the same doctor and none of us have ever found anything that works.
I am so sorry to hear about your trials with your migraines.  Before I had a stroke which caused 24/7 severe migraines which I still battle, I used to get severe migraines every time just before I had my period, then after menopause the timing was all over the place.  Several of my friends found that taking hormone replacement that helped their migraines, but you are obviously not that age.

My migraines were severe enough in the past that I would vomit and nearly pass out if I got out of bed.  I found that Esgic was the best abortive medication to help them, which allowed me to conduct training sessions.  It is similar to Fiorcet.  Hope you have been given some kind of abortive medications to help your migraines.

I really wish you the best.

Sara
Hi , my name is ***@****,  first of , bless you all for sharing your most fearfull moments . I too have severe migrane it just started im 32 yrs started with a unstopable headache that lasted days....nothing worked and then  went tru stroke like symptoms that rush me to hospital more then once, however im glad to see im not alone and finally i can relate, is hard to explain right? People think im crazy because they cant find nothing wrong test wise , mri,mra,mrv all came back negative. Blood work is super, healthy as a horse. I used to work out hardcore ,lost a lot of weight but over a year took a lot of supplements witch contain ( creatine ) is a legal supplement powder you mix with water and turns you into the HULK for about a good 2hrs. I used to lift weight as well, but i think thats what did it for me . In the gym they call it ( CRACK JUICY ) it gives u a big rush is like a gallon of coffee before every workout and i used to go almost 7 days a week. Well, after explaining thia to my neurologist she said that might of been the case in myself. Well i went tru so many faces of symptoms i thougth i was dying , now is been 3 months No more gym finally gain back a bit of wait. Cuz i didnt want to eat lost appetite ,nausea, dizzyness out of focus, unable to drive and walk by myself . Fear of sleeping and not waking up because also i developed palpitations in my stomach and truout my body.  Im really scared because i have a 10 yer old princess and im so afraid of leaving her. My family was worrt to death about me . Now lost all my muscle weight, eating better and my vision is coming back with treatments. No coffee, no more gym, no more protein juice.  Devoted myself to god and it has help me a lot . I strongly recommend it.  Is the best meditation out there, now only symptoms i have are  body palpitations and numbness of left body comes and goes but it happends often.  My doctor said it will all be treated and is the symptoms of MIGRANE. Please feel free to email me, it would really be nice to talk to someone to relate .
The other night I was just sitting here listening to music on my laptop when all of a sudden I started seeing bright like diamond shapes and I thought it was just cuz I was lookin at the screen so I turned the lights off and laid down. Then a couple mins later my arm went completely numb and tingly and also my lips/face. As they were doing tests only then did my headache kick in. They told me I was having a complication/aura migraine. A few hours went by and then my feeling came back but I also got very sick to my to stomach for a couple hours after. They told me it was nothing serious but if it happens again to go to the hospital as I may need medications. Since then I've been getting headaches and numbness but nothing as serious..
living in montana I would have to go out of state for any type of accurate testing to be done and im not really sure I want to be some doctors guinea pig :S... I've been on different medication since I was twelve cant really tell you the names of them its been so long... ive gone the supplement direction taking natural calm which works well but tastes pretty discusting I also chew some natural painkilling plants if I have been out foraging lately. I have also been to see a migrane specialist and I threw him for a loop with the caffeine trigger...most peoples migranes are a result of a lack of what triggers my migranes...he did want to do some testing but mostly they just load me up with samples and say "tell me what works" I was even on a combination of three different migrane medications at once and it was so confusing it was like "take these two right away and if its persists take the third one and a second pill of one of the first two" I was probably 19 at the time so like I said the medication names illude me.
no no no im sure the nerves on one side aren't as great as the side that's never numb but no the numbness doesn't stick around that I can notice...I would most definitely be hounding a doctor if it did.
When I first got this a few months ago I was freaking out like crazy because I thought I was having a stroke. I'm only 20 so I wasn't even reasonably expecting it to be a stroke at first, but the symptoms made it an immense worry.

Firstly, I had the symptoms of a migraine aura, which is (unfortunately) usual and common for me, but then, things became extraordinarily worse. Half of my body became numb and I had difficulty speaking. There were some words that I literally forgot how to pronounce and some words which I knew how to pronounce, but physically could not mouth properly and began wording gibberish. I became very confused and wasn't fully comprehensible of my surroundings, like I was a five year old who was aware, but things were just too complex for me to understand. I was panicking so much and was worried I was dying, but it is an incredible relief to find out that other people have (unfortunately) exactly the same symptoms as me to know I'm not alone. I continue to get these every couple of months.
This is migraine. The numbness is part of your aura. The aura is believed to be somewhat like an epileptic seizure that starts in one part of the brain and then travels on. That's why the different symptoms come after each other as the aura is spreading over the cerebral cortex.

These types of migraine are often scary and since migraine actually give a higher risk of stroke these types of migraines should try to be avoided as much as possible. They can be hard to differ from a stroke. A stroke doesn't just go away after a while of coarse.

You could take a preventive medication, like a beta blocker, but if you have these attacks very seldom it might not give you so much benifit.

The other thing you can do is to try out a good medication to stop the attack once you feel the aura symptoms coming on. You must find a drug or combination of drugs that work for you. It might be Asa, naproxen, a triptan, an anti-convulsant, xanax or a combination of drugs. Discuss this with your doctor.

The third thing to do is to have a good escape drug, something to take if the other drugs don't work.

But you must discuss with your doctor what would be your best strategy when these attacks happen.

Good luck!
HEY! this just happened to me last night for the first time, i was watching a video on my computer and my leg went numb, then it traveled to my arm and eventually my face, my whole left side of my face was numb and tingly. when i got up i was extremely disoriented and felt very heavy and dizzy. when i tried to talk words wouldnt come out the way i was saying them and i was getting really scared. after the effects died down i got a really bad headache. ever since then im scared its going to happen to me again and i really dont want it to. anyways you guys prevent it??? its good to know im not the only one.
Hi!

It is important that you check this up immediately the first time it happens to you. You can not be sure it is a migraine until you have excluded other more dangerous possibilities. It could be a transient ischemic attack for example and it often forewarns of a stroke. Go to the ER.
hey just im expecting the same its been 3 weeks but its one each day a week, get my right leg started feeling feeling numb, tingly , then on my right hand then to my fingers then to my right face then even lip and toungue . 2 times have i followed by a headache also when look at lights feel blurry im feel better knowing its not me that has happen to me, im going to a clinic get a physical tomorrow. wish me luck.
At least i now know I'm not the only one that suffers all the symptoms. I'm now 23 years old and the first time i got them was when i had just turned 17. i was in school and i panic because of what i was feeling and also because when i explained my symptoms to the nurse and teachers they looked at me weird, as if i was going crazy. these symptoms are so unpredictable. i some times get them every 4 to 6 months, every 3 months, every month and when it gets real bad its every week. I'm a freelance Professional Makeup artist and hair stylist therefore i can't be having impaired vision, i can take all the other symptoms but the the vision part. I don't know what to do or how to get rid of them completely, it can really have a negative impact on my job/career. it would be nice to at least know how to get rid of these symptoms the second i get them!
I have been getting these for about 10ish years now.  I first get weird problems with my vision.  It's not quite blurry, it's more like there's clouds that stop me from seeing certain sections of my vision.  I also get numb in my fingers, and it slowly moves up one side of my arm, all the way to my lips and cheek.  Then I get a really bad headache, and wind up throwing up.  This happens 2-3 times per year.

I've gone to a couple neurologists and they all seem nothing is fine and it's just migraines.

I have found something that works for me to stop this.  Maybe this will work for others.  As soon as I start to get blurry vision or numbness, I immediately take aspirin.  Excedrin works for me, no other aspirin works.  I also drink a ton of water.  Then I close my eyes for about 20-30 minutes, and while my eyes are closed I do some neck exercises.  I still get the beginnings of this like the blurry vision or numbness, but I'm able to stop it before it turns into a full blown migraine.  I have no idea why this works, but It's worked every time for the last 3 years now.