Migraines & Headaches Community
Half body numbness, vision problems and migraines.

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I have this half body numbness, vision problems and migraines since I was only 12 years old. It never happened more than once in 6 months period, some times it happens only once in 3 years but rare.
When ever this kind of problem occurs, my whole day and the next gets reserved with pain. Some times it triggers by bright sun shine or a camera flash. My vision starts getting impaired and then I cannot see objects clear (see mostly shadows). Some times it directly triggers by suddenly numbing my right hand fingers (I believe this happened to my left hand side body as well) and then slowly moves to my other right hand side body parts i.e. arm, leg, lip, nose and eye etc. I usually try to sleep so by the time I will wake up I will be start feeling better but it never happened. By the time I wake up after an hour or so, I will be having severe migraine pains on the left hand side of my head. I take Excedrin, Advil, Tylenol or Ibuprofen to get rid of this pain but no help. Some times I stay home and some times my family members take me to the hospital so the doctors can do something for pain but it never helped. I usually get big vomiting too. Another important point is that I cannot even speak correctly, I would be speaking incomplete and wrong words, this starts happening after half of my tongue gets numb and I believe one of the reason in speaking wrong and crazy words is that perhaps half of my brain gets numb as well.
I have never done an MRI but got some other brain scans done including blood test, blood sugar, uric acid and blood pressure etc. but everything looked normal. Please help me to diagnose this problem. I apologize of writing such a long essay. Thanks

Your symptoms are very suggestive of migraine. What medications have you tried for migraine?
There are some medications that can prevent migraine attacks like topamax, depakote etc. Have you tried any of those?
What other brain scans have you undergone, was it a CT scan? Did it pick up any abnormality?
I would also suggest you to avoid bright lights, loud noisy places as they trigger migraine attacks. Also you can try OTC magnesium supplements, as magnesium has been found to be beneficial in migraine patients.
Everything you described happens to me also.. I have had a CT scan and various blood work but everything was normal. They suggested getting an MRI done I just havent done it..
Avatar_dr_f_tn

When was the last time you had a scan done? Are the symptoms similar to your symptoms in the past? Has it worsened/progressed?

I would suggest that tests for coagulation factors ( Pt,aPTT, fibrinogen levels ),evaluation of the peripheral vessels and cardiac function may also be able to shed some light.Given that you have been completely assessed, a complex type of migraine called occipital or basilar migraine may present with your symptoms,This is usually associated with visual symptoms, speech disorders, weakness in the extremiteis, difficulty walking and dizziness. The deficits however should be reversible. You may discuss with your physician the advantages of preventive migraine therapy in your case.

Stay proactive and if you are working or in school, it is important that your friends and colleagues are aware of your condition so they may be able to help in case the attacks happen outside your home.
My name is Chelsey Messer...i've had  migranes (migraines) since i was nine years old and severe migranes (migraines) with stroke symptoms since i was 12 years old. The only reason i know so much about all of this is because the doctor i had in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho happened to have the exact same problem.  I'm sorry to tell you all of this, but through extensive research there is still nothing that can be done about these migranes (migraines), but i CAN tell you how to greatly reduce them. Caffine is one of the leading triggers of these migranes (migraines). When you consume caffine the blood vessels in you brain are suppose to dialate more quickly (resulting in more energy...makes sense eh?), however with the very few people cursed with these migranes (migraines) your blood vessels constrict and dont allow oxygen and blood flow to one side of your brain. Causing numbness on one entire half of the body, blurred vision, communication impairment, and nasuea. Other things trigger these migranes (migraines) as well such as lack of sleep or stress. Since i've had them for around five years i'm use to them and the best way to deal with it is to sleep it off, but unfortunately thats not always possible. An example would be that my mother stressed me out before my highschool homecoming dance and i felt my hand going a bit numb. I started to cry hysterically. STOP...right now....i can tell you right off the bat that the more you stress the worse this migrane (migraine) will be. I've been able to bring myself out of a migrane (migraine) within half an hour. Meditation and other things that calm your mind and body help drastically.  Just try to CALM yourself and trust me it WILL help...doctors have prescribed everything they can possibly think of and all it did was make me nauseated and now i have no faith in modern medicine to deal with my migranes (migraines). The cause of mine happens to be the fact that i have severe (even though unnoticable) skulliosis. Your nervous system controls your body and when my mother worked in a chiropractic office getting an adjustment right away would also help, not as much as my own will power though. The feeling two days after my migranes (migraines) are the worst part. Its like your brain is loose to bang around in your skull. The things the doctors have done to me test wise and prescription drug wise is absolutely unforgivable and i wont go into detail for your sake. If any one wants to contact me and find out more my email address is ***@**** (long story) feel free i'm an open book. -Chels
since it wont give out my email...feel free to just message me :D
i get migraines as well... i use to get 2-3 per week... and now i get 1 every 2 weeks or so. they are AWFUL!!  ive had CT scans done, MRI's and tons of blood work. no one can figure it out. i can usually tell the day before i get a migraine that i will have one the next day, so i can somewhat prepare for it. 99% of the time, it effects the left side of my body. i see red spots, my face goes numb on the left side, left arm and fingers tingle, throw up repeatedly, and i feel like im slurring when i talk.i feel like ripping my face off. i always have to go to the hospital for treatment. usually morphine will work... sometimes i will sit there for hours with several different IV medications, and nothing will work. i am now 3 months pregnant... and am getting them more frequently.
i just want to thank chels for her input... that's awesome and it totally makes sense. i will definately try everything you suggested.
I am Likesjewellry.  The lady who is 50 and just developed over a year and a half this dibilitating problem.  I feel like a three year old sometimes when I can't speak or my words come out like baby talk.   I am sorry you are so young and going through this, you are very brave to reach out and help others.  I am wondering why after such agonizing testing, retesting, that not one doctor suggested anti migraine drugs to me? I would like to give it a try. Please email me and tell me which ones you tried and what reactions you had to them.  I already to the quiet time, space and meditation.  It is the only thing that calms things down but it never really goes away entirely.  Take care.
Yesterday, I started seeing strange lights and was feeling really strange.  Then, about 30 minutes later my left hand went numb and my lips.  I felt very disoriented and could not think properly.  Shortly, after I had a spiltting headache and all my energy was zapped.  I am at work today and the lights here are killing me.  All I want to do is go home and sleep, but I can't leave work.  It is really a frightening experience and very hard to remain calm when your whole body is out of whack.  It is comforting to know that my symtoms (symptoms) don't seem to be uncommon.  I called my doctor and they said that it sounded like I had a food allergy or I was dehydrated, but after reading this sight I am convinced that it was a migrain.  I am 6 weeks pregnant, so am thinking hormones may have triggered it.
hi my ame is gerard, i'm just comeing out of one at the minute, i can relate to you all, when i get the tingleing numb ness it puts me into a panic which makes everyything worse, its a comfort to know i'm not alone. i take migarleve, not sure if i've spellt that right, anyway i'm with you guys.
Hi - I'm a 31 year old woman and I am really glad to see all of your comments!

I have just started experiencing similar symptoms, they seem to be brought on by stress.  I've never really had headaches of any sort so it didn't occur to me that this could be migraine related.  But, I got kind of freaked out the first time the numbness in the right side of my face happened (about 2 months ago); it felt like the onset of Bells Palsy (which I had 11 years ago, accompanied by Lyme Disease).  But, then unlike Bells Palsy, it went away after a few days.  My doctor was concerned about MS, but my MRI came back in good form, so I am hoping that this numbness really is just some sort of migraine reaction.  Of course my doctor's concern about MS stressed me out as well and the numbness quickly returned.  

Along with the numbness I get really tired and my vision is a bit fuzzier than normal so I have to make sure that I wear my glasses.

Have any of you who take medication had success with it alleviating the numbness?  So far, I've self-medicated with coffee and sleep, which both make me feel better, but the numbness seems like it doesn't go away until I am able to get the stress under control.
My name is brook an I am 18. Just 3 days ago i was at work and started seeing colors and had blurred vision and lost all peripheral vision and then about 20 minutes later my left side of my mouth went numb and my hand finger by finger went numb. Then after that the headache started. From the sounds of things that have happend to all of you I am getting migranes (migraines). I have never gotten headaches or anything like that. It just happend and I havent went to a dr yet, but just days before this a small lump about he size of a dime formed right above my left ear in the pressure point area and I am wondering if anyone has an info on this? & is it common to have the headaches for like a 3 day span because ever since the first one i have had them everyday.
Thanks a lot to all who have replied to my post. I apologize for replying so late, I never got any email notification from medhelp notifying me of these posts. Anyways my neurologist diagnosed my symptoms as "classic migraines". I've been taking a very good preventive medication which has changed my life, its "Atenolol" i take 50mg every night before bed and it keeps away migraines and ora's away from me so no numbness, tingling, vision problems anymore.

If once in a while I get migraine again, I take Immitrex shot (myself) or 100mg tablet and it takes care of pain in just a few minutes. Let me know If anyone needs more information. Thanks once again
hi everyone,
i am 39 now, and i have been getting migraines for as long as i remember.  at the age of 12 i was put on beta blockers to try to help control the frequency of my migraines, and have been on them ever since.  i have also found topamax and depakote to be very helpful as maintenance drugs, but i've never found a painkiller that has worked for me.  i know caffeine causes migraines, but when i am getting a migraine, i have found that taking a large dose of caffeine has helped stop a migraine in its tracks.  i also get numbness on one side of my body with some of my migraines, and my neurologist says they are considered minor strokes.  i have had mri's and they have shown no damage, but she did say that imitrex is not recommended for people who get this type of migraine, so i no longer use it.  
i was wondering if anyone else has had their migraines effect their ability to function at a job, and how they have dealt with that.  i'm also wondering if there is anyone else out there who has been on inderal (beta blockers) for an extended period of time, like i've been?  i was one of the first children put on beta blockers for the control of migraine, and they are still unsure of the long term side effects of being on it for such a long time.  
it's great to have found this site....i can relate to all of you, and i have finally found some people who are experiencing the same terrible pain that i am.  
Hello to all!

I understand your pain.  Of course always consult your doctor first. Yet, one of the recommendation that was giving to me by a nutritional doctor that has worked wonders was taking Calcium Magnesium (specifically Nutrilite Cal Mag D - which is organic supplement) taken at least two tablets with each meal and a glass of water everyday.  What I love about this supplement is 1) It is not a medicine, so there are no side affects (most medicines will cause other health problems as they are abnormal chemical substances being made in a laboratory – for example back pains, gastritis – you can do your research 2) It has also helped me reduce my menstrual pains 3) Calcium is natural muscle relaxer…so it helps me sleep well.  My suggestion would be to make a list of all your symptoms, after taking this supplement for 30 days, then 90 days and so on - take out your list again and see how it's helping.  It might not be from one day to another, but you will start to notice the pain will become weaker, then less frequently, until you might go over a year without the migraines.  You can read more about this organic supplement at: nutrilite.com and at: cramos3.qhealthbeauty.com. Best health wishes!  
I started getting these migraines with the above mentioned symptoms when I was about 5 years old. As a kid I had test after test CT scan etc. to no avail. I am now 35. I used to wake up in the middle of the night (as a kid) and my left foot would be numb. I would wake my dad and he would rub my foot then my leg then my left arm and hand as the numbness worked it's way up to my left side of my face and then my tongue. As a kid I never experienced vomiting or vision problems. These migraines run deep in my family. Grand father, uncles, cousins and myself and one of my 3 brothers. As 95% of us got into our late teens and young adult years these migraines became farther apart, but more severe with the vision problems, vomiting and worse headaches. How do you explain it when I was 5 sleeping in the middle of the night? No stress, no caffeine at 3 a.m. I have since had them triggered by looking out a window at the bright sun shinning on the snow. A collision while playing sports. Hitting my head in and ATV accident and recently for no apparent reasons at all. I was getting them about once every 3-4 years after my 20th birth day, but all of a sudden started getting them again and today had my 3rd one in 5 months. Still only affects my left side. I have learned for me that once I feel the numbness or I start getting the blurred vision, that if I walk around and keep moving until the numbness runs it's course, and take 3 ibuprofen or Tylenol that my headache that follows is only 1/2 as bad as it used to be and will subside for the most part after 24 hours. I am going to try a chiropractor as I have never been to one and my neck has been causing some pain.
Hi All,
Im 35yrs old and just started to have migraine issues about a year ago. Mine mimic stroke like so many of you have discribed. My brain MRI shows 15 spots/lesions.But I have been tested for a ton of different issues and all tests are normal.My LP was normal too. My original Neuro said that I was having complex migraines with aura and handed me Imetrex. Sinece then I have switched neuros. The new neuro said that there was nothing normal about my migraines and mentioned Migraine Varients.Like Hemaplegic,Basilar and a host of other weird types of migraines. She seems to feel that I am suffering from several different types of migraines which is common in migraineirs.She told not to ever take Imetrex because it is contraindicated in these rare types of migraines. I go back to see her on Feb 4th.
These types of migraines are very scary....
Please Take Care, Theresa
i have been getting migraines 3 or 4 times a week now.
Was in a car accident about 2 yrs ago and they are more severe now and more often.
Today i got a ora and could only see the top half of people.
this is the first time this has happened.Usually it is only the sides i cant see
Has anyone else had this happen?

Judy from canada
Hi Judy,
Your aura can be different  with every migraine you have. If there is a drastic change in your migraine patterns you should contact your neurologists and let them know. Have you had a Brain MRI ?

Please Take Care, Theresa
wow i never guessed that migranes (migraines) could lead to body numbness.  i get frequent migranes (migraines) but have never experianced body numbness until today.  it was the first time one whole side of my body went completly numb.  then i felt i got hit in the head with a sledge hammer and my vision got all blurry.  it was one of the scariest things ever and it is nice to see that i am not alone or crazy!
hi dh4ever,
sorry to hear that you went thru the same symptoms, and I totally understand that It could be really scary. If it's the first time you had body numbness and vision problems then I hope that you dont get it more frequently, If you do talk to your doctor and try Atenolol 50mg or 100mg every night before bed for 2 months. These symtoms (symptoms) are refer to as Auras, signals which tells you that you're going to have severe migrane (migraine) that is severe pain on one side of your head, for me it's always left side of my head and body numbness is always on the right side of my body including hand, arm, tongue, lip, head, leg etc.
With atenolol I did pretty good until a month ago when again I had these symptoms, it was after a long time though (exactly 2 yrs and 1 month) I took Immitrex 50mg right away so I never got the pain in head.
Hope this info helps you and I pray that you dont get this Aura and migraine again.
As bad as it sounds it makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one who suffers from these ordeals. I'm a 27 year old, male who has been having these minor strokes/complex migraines since I was 16. My first one was only a headache with body numbness. At the time I was in a friend's basement and a strobe light was on. I believe that was the initial cause. Through the years they have sped up their occurrences. It went from once every few months to once a month. They also changed from partial numbness to a traveling numbness on my right side. Such as my hand will go numb and then it will move up my arm, proceeding to my face. As far as I can remember the vomiting stage was only once. However when they happen I lose my ability to think of specific words/form proper sentences, the eyesight of my right eye allows me to see what I refer to as tv static on a blank screen, my coordination is out the door (simple tasks such as texting or typing are impossible), as I breathe through my nose the air smells funny to me, walking is sometimes hard depending on where my numbness is (as I said it travels through my body, never has my full right side been numb at once), and a splitting headache lasts for several hours. I do think that it is somehow stress related. I haven't had an incident in over 6 months and I'm overjoyed. I can sense them coming due to my eyesight starting to blur. When they start to happen I take an OTC pill called Vanquish. It does ease some of the pain. I have a bad habit of mass consuming Mountain Dew which is high in caffine. I'm attempting to limit my general caffine intake as well as change my diet to see how it affects all of this. I do appreciate all of the advice everyone has put on here. It's a shame that so much money has been wasted on all of these tests to come out with zero results. I wish you all luck in dealing with this. If ever anyone comes up with a good fix email me at ***@**** Thank you. Adam K.
Zomig (ZOLMITRIPTAN) 5mg Inhaler is the silver bullit. When it starts use one inhaler, and you will feel it lift. You know exactly what I am talking about. The first time I used it, I actually found myself waiting for the pain to come back, but it did not happen. It is wonderful.
Thanks for the Zomig inhaler suggestion, my cousin who is a Neuro-Surgeon also recommended this medication, will definitely get it.
I am 18 y/o i had this half body numbness, 2days ago i just felt it on my fingers but last night upon surfing the net my left leg became numb and I don't know why. I don't have a headache, I don't know what's going on, please do help me.
hi
i am 16 years old and suffer from all fo these things and im glad to know im not the only one. i find that some on these are triggerd by so kinda of thing in a food( not sure yet prob :sugar,caffeine or sothign else found in pop,chocolate, chocolate milk, kool-aid mix,.).. i avoid these things and they usally dont happen that offten anymore.
my name is kelia, I'm seventeen and have had migraines since first grade. it's usually once every three months or so, but it also can be sporadic. it starts out with my peripheral vision going away. i'll look at someones face and i can only see half of it. that's usually when i take aleve (the only medication that's really helped so far) so i can combat the migraine early. my left hand goes numb, and i can't think of words to complete sentences. when people talk it does not register, and basically seems like they're speaking another language. by this point i try and fall asleep so i don't have to deal with these weird side effects. my lip and most of the left side of my face goes numb. when all of the weird side effects are over, i usually have a very subtle yet throbbing pain in the occipital lobe area of my head for about two days. aleve does not make this pain go away, but it's tolerable. i drink a lot of coffee, but i never drink it during migraines. i had a migraine today and it was all caused by stress (finals week). hopefully this helps someone!
Hi my name is Justin Nelson. I am 23 years old and I have had severe headaches( I think Migraines) for about 5 years. It first started when I was at work and I had to ask my manager to go home, because I felt like crap. Before I get these migraines my eyesight becomes blurred with these weird blotches of light, sometimes with the light being in a zig-zag or flashing pattern. Then my left, (rarely right) side of my face(cheeks, lips, tounge) becomes numb with like a weird "buzzing" feeling, and sometimes my left(rarely right) hand, arm, and leg will go numb with the same "buzzing" feeling. Then the bad headache will set in. Sometimes I will become disoriented before the eyesight becomes blurred, like you spun me around or I'm on a roller coaster or something. I never went to the doctor for them as I could manage them. Recently I have had heart palpitations which I went to the cardiologist for. Everything turned out fine, with the doctor saying that I had a "very common" type of palpitation. As of right now, the palpitations have went away for the most part, but I still get vision blurs(Auras?). I have found that if I go and sit down somewhere and breath deep and close my eyes for about 15 minutes the Auras will go away. I take over the counter sinus medication sometimes(Tylenol sinus severe(Acetaminophen, Guafenesin, Phenylephrine)), and if I ever do get the vision blur I take one of these pills and it doesn't make the numbness or vision blur go away, but it will make the headache stop. Hope this works for some of you. I am also thinking about getting an MRI done. God bless all of you.
Any severe headache, numbness of face, tongue or arms,
confusion and weakness together with these symptoms,
might be symptoms of a stroke. It's better to go to the hospital
right away.
My son and I both have migraines but his has advances to complete body numbness.  Has anyone had this happened?  We went to the ER last night because it really scared us.  He had three of these numbness episodes yesterday and one today.  Does anybody know if this frequency is normal we are in limbo waiting to see a Nero.
I am new to this site but need some help.  I am 49 and never suffered from migranes (migraines) before. Recently (about 5 months now) I have been dibilatated from the migranes (migraines).  I have had full work up of testing (MRI, CT you name it) and it has shown nothing.  I have tried various medications and few give relief.  I get the warning signs of vision loss with some pain, then chills, then wham pain (usually behind the eyes but not always),  I try to sleep it off but sometimes the pain is to much and even that doesn't help.  The next day I have super sensativity to hearing and light.  Also my body is so drained that I barely can get off the couch.  Has anyone found any relief with dietary changes - aside from staying away from the obvious "trigger" items.  Something like an organic diet or eating schedule?  I have given accupuncture a try but it is not helping to much.  I was told it is hormone driven but not sure if another visit to another specialist is the way to go as they all seem to think I am nuts.
Hello, given your age you might be having migraine triggered by hormone loss.  I use some things that help with migraine, including magnesium supplements, calcium, vitamin D, and USP progesterone drops for the skin.  

Regarding the lady with brain lesions, do get tested for Lyme disease.  I have celiac disease (first symptom was unexplained anemia) and since going gluten free migraine symptoms have improved.  One in 130 people have celiac disease and it is a simple blood test to tell with 95 percent accuracy if you do.  

Regarding migraine, trial and error seems to be the best at developing prevention strategies. Stress management and enough sleep are most important for me.

I am 25 and just starting to experience Migranes (migraines) . I visits the doctors a couple of weeks ago and they said I could have possibly damaged the nerve endings in my neck (this is really common if you work in an office job and are sat down or day).

The left side of my face goes numb, my neck feels stiff and I feel really sick (even drinking water is a challenge) and you do panic because it actually feels like you are having a stroke.

It is comforting to know I am not the only one and thanks for all your suggestions
You just described my life and this is exactly what happen to me last night. Its so crazy to see someone else having the samething as me going on the doctors have no clue what it is and I normally get taken to the hospital and put on pain meds tell its gone.
Hey Im 16 and since I was 14 and started high school I've had migranies I've been to a dozen on doctors and they all say I'm fine. They haven't precribed any type of medication but I get numb when the pain is on the left side of my head I get numb on the left and vis versa. I really want to know is there any type of medication I could take. Thank You
I just typed this in google because this is what happens to me since i was like 14 i am 23 now and only happens maybe 3 to 4 times a year.. the numbness then my eyes go funny.. the speach thing also happens(kinda glad someone else is getting it too because its freaking me out) the only thing is i only some times get migraines with it.. HEEEEELP MEE haha
Certainly helps to read everyone's comments because I've been feeling like I'm going crazy.  I have suffered from migraines for years, but usually half one or two a month.  The last few weeks have been rough on me - won't go into details but my mom passed away, I've had problems with my family, my spouse, and a lot of stress.  For the past 5 days I've had a headache, one side of my temple has been pounding, and my lips have been numb until finally went to the doctor yesterday who gave me T3's with codeine, and told me to double my migraine medication.  Now I'm nauseous and vomiting.  I'm thinking that until I can get rid of some of the stress in my life, I'm going to be feeling horrible (and that will be quite a while).  At least I know I'm not alone in my misery.
KRISTY
It's very comforting to know that I'm not alone in this. I had a very bad experience two days ago. My whole left side went numb, from my head to my tow. I felt like going crazy. I couldnt even speak. I panicked and start screaming very bad. My friend calle the 999. In the hospital they couldn't find anything. But it's very helpful to know that I'm not alone in this. Thank you.
All of these symptoms also happen to me. But way more often then you describe. The drs say i am a total mysery and that they will try sending me to a specialist. (Neurologist) I have had every blood test in the book as well as ct scans. It got so bad that along with these symptoms I also had a sprained right and left ankle (without having hurt them whatsoever) I will have my right arm go entirely numb and half of my face and tongue. I sound like I am intoxicated and I have to have my husband speak for me until it is over. My episodes happened the worst whil I was pregnant and in my last trimester so thats what they were worried about. They checked for blood clotting and stroke signs. They found nothing. But whats their excuse when I am no longer pregnant and getting them all the time. They are so bad that I cannot function. I curl up in a ball and its honeslty like you are paralized :( Waiting to see a specialist but thats another 6 months + :(
Just got out of the hospital, thought I was having a stroke At work today with all the symptoms listed above. I am 22 and the doctors had no idea what was going on. I had an ecg and scans. At least now I know thanks
I think I am in this boat as well. I have been gettng migraines for years... but it seems they are getting worse. I recently had my first where the right side of my body went tingly/numb too. I am very stressed and drinking more caffeine and not sleeping enough - so I think all that combined is making the migraines worse. I am also having some joint/muscle/tendon pain on that same side too. Exercise also is seeming to aggravate it, which is a shame, because mentally, the exercise helps me.... but I think physically it is stressing my body out! Can't win. I had tons of bloodwork and a brain and cervical spine MRI done... all normal.
Hello sweetie! I've had these migraines since I was 13 and they are head splitting! I can't stand without getting dizzy and almost collapsing and I can't see out of one of my eyes because I get bright spots. I almost throw up and cry uncontrolably. My side of my face goes numb and I can't speak correctly. I take antimigraine pills but I'm sorry to say they don't help. A couple things that do help are sitting in a dark room with a cold rag over your face and the fan on high or if it's cold out sit on your porch or outside for ten minutes and take deep breaths  slowly. I know it's very difficult to think straight and I often can't finish sentences because I can't remember what I was going to say. I've found it nice to sit quietly for a few hours. If sleep isn't possible make sure the room your in is dark.  Remember. You are not alone! Many people struggle with this problem. Now, I should probably tell you what it is. What you are experiencing is called a Complex Migraine. Hardly any medicine helps and the best thing is to try to not cry and remain calm. Do not play music and try to avoid as much noise and light as possible. I've had an MRI and im telling you it will not help. I hope I've been of assistance and that you feel better soon. If you have anymore questions post again and I'll be happy to answer. Bye!
My daughter suffers from basilar/hemiplegic migraines for 4 years now, she is now on diamond as a preventative. Along with medication and diet she has them pretty well controlled.  
sorry, the medication is DIAMOX...
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I AM 55 AND HAVE HAD MIGRAINES SINCE I WAS 5 BUT JUST EXPERIENCED MY FIRST WHOLE LEFT SIDE NUMBNESS AND ITS BEEN NUMB FOR 10 DAYS.  I GOT RID OF THE MIGRAINE BUT NOT THE NUMBNESS.  DID THIS HAPPEN TO YOU?
Karen, I'm going through that right now. I have had migraines on and off for years. But this is the first time I went numb. I usually have tracers in my eyes or smell certain things no one else does. I have been numb on my entire left side for a little over three weeks, no head ache ususally, but from time to time I do get one, nothing extremely too much to bare and over the counter meds take it away. My neurologist has me on Proponal, but I think I'm going to start taking Fish Oil and Magnesium as well, seem like they work well from what others have said on this site and others. I have been on the Proponal for a week and I don't feel any difference. I really just want the numbness to go away. I have had MRIs and CAT Scans, all came out ok.
I have been getting bad migraines for about 4 years. I started wearing glasses a year ago and have only had two since. I find my migraines are similar to most on here. I get blurred vision and when at work its the worse time to get a migraine working with machinery ect... After the blurred vision has gone i get numbness on my lips and cheeks and occasionally my hands a tingling sensation . Reading some of the comment on here I'm defiantly going to seek a medication and even get some test done, as its very worrying at times.

I'm 22 and have been suffering since I was 17 or 18.
I have suffered from migraines since I was 8 years old. At the age if 26 I started with similar symptoms, numbness and weakness on one side. Slurring and unable to put sentences together, confusion. My throat goes numb. After those symptoms subside, I get an excruciating migraine on the opposite side. My MRI came back abnormal with white spots. The first neurologist I saw diagnosed me with Hemiplegic migraines. The one I see now just refers to them as migraine with aura? Not sure if they're the same thing? I was prescribed topamax, which is by far the worst drug I have ever been on. I went off that and tried several others with no help. I am currently on calan but I don't think it's doing much to help. I take zomig when I am in horrible pain. I have four children so I'm sure stress is a contributing factor. I also find that long car rides will bring them on, that could be stress again! My mom and grandfather also suffer from these types of migraines. I also am anemic even though I eat a diet high in iron and take a vitamin that contained iron. I don't know if that has an affect on anything or not.
Hi there, my name is sam and i have been haveing migraines since i was sixteen, i am now 39. I am just recivering from one as i speak, i too have what is largely known as the aura type migraine, the first one i ever experiebced was at the age of sixteen i was rushed to the hospital as my father was convinced that i was having a srtoke, it turned iut it was migraine symtons. I dont always get a headache with mine, i tend to get the numbness down my left side face numb, hand tingle. I have even had the numbness travel up my left arm, to the point of where i wonder if it will stop, but thankfully it always does. They dont get any easier, everytime i have one i panick, i hate it! i try to calm myself down. I have been experiencing lately that the blindness i get in my left side of my vision can come on very suddenly, i can be perfectly fine one minute then the next i cant see propaly.
I have been to the doctors and he prescribed me a drug called " Pizotefin" i have been reading all the other peoples related experiences on this site but have not come across anyone else using this drug. It does help.......i think.....i have to take one tablet everyday. I say i think it works....my migraines have calmed down, i was averaing two to three a week, now on average i get one every six to eight weeks. They are terrible things and no-one knows what they are like until you have experienced them. I i can help anyone out for a chat, just reply. Best wishes
Everyone!!
I've suffered from migraines for the past 5-6 years, and they have gradually been getting worse. Now when I get them, I can't move or see anything, and the only way to get rid of it is to be sick and try to sleep. Yesterday I had a really strange migraine where I had the headache the queasiness, and then my body started going numb- just on the left hand side. I couldn't talk, move, or see anything. I've never felt anything like this before. I rang up the pharmacist this morning to get some more of my prescription tablets, and he was concerned about the numbess. Said I needed to go to the doctors and have tests.
I'm reading all these comments, trying to see if anyone else suffers the same, and it is very reasurring that there are others. It drives me mad when I can't do anything and people say 'it's just a headache'.
Now waiting for my partner to get home, as I can't drive. I hate these things.
Does everyone get the numbness on the left hand side? And has anyone had any luck with working out how to get rid of these long term? I seem to have one every 2 weeks at the worst, and one a month at best.
I agree with your pharmacist.  Be sure to go to a doctor.  This site cannot give diagnoses.

Good luck to you.

Sara
I have the same symptoms. Mine usually start with blind spots in my vision. Then I get left sided weakness and tingling. My tongue and throat get numb. My speech is slurred and I can't come up with the correct words because I get extremely confused. I try to sleep through those symptoms but then wake up with a horrible migraine on the opposite side, which usually lasts into the next day. I have been admitted to the hospital twice because they thought I was having mini strokes. I was eventually diagnosed with Hemaplegic/Complicated Migraines. My MRI comes back abnormal and shows white spots. I have been on Topamax(worst med ever!). Noritryptaline, and Calan(verapamil). With no relief. I take Zomig for the pain and usually end up having to add Advil on top of zomig. I get these migraines, usually once per month or every two months. I am not able to be on any hormones such as birth control pills because certain hormones contribute. Plus these types of migraines raise your risk of having a stroke. I have not found a doctor that is totally familiar with these migraines. Do your best to find a good neurologist that specializes in migraines. These migraines are scary to deal with, especially because they seem to come on without much notice and they are debilitating. Please try to find a good DR! Good luck and keep us updated!
Why don't you ask your doctor for a different daily prophylactic migraine medication other than Topomax (topamax) which you say is the worst. There are others that you could try.  
Above with SoccerMom's recommendation to find a really good neurologist, you might try to find a headache specialist, although there are far fewer of them, so potentially more difficult to find.  But since they only deal with headaches, they are more likely to comprehend a more unusual kind of headache.

Good luck to you.
I have been on several different preventive meds. Topamax, noritryptaline, celexa and the latest was verapamil which is a calcium channel blocker. I was actually having more migraines on some of them. I see a headache specialist but there are only a handful of them in the country that have actually ever treated this type of migraine. I definitely think that hormones play a role for me, as I have one of these migraines during every period, so there may never be a medication that works for me. The only hormone they will allow me to use is estrogen. I add that before my period to prevent a sudden decrease which can lead to migraines but still doesn't help. My grandfather and my mom also get these migraines. Two of my children do also. None of us see the same doctor and none of us have ever found anything that works.
I am so sorry to hear about your trials with your migraines.  Before I had a stroke which caused 24/7 severe migraines which I still battle, I used to get severe migraines every time just before I had my period, then after menopause the timing was all over the place.  Several of my friends found that taking hormone replacement that helped their migraines, but you are obviously not that age.

My migraines were severe enough in the past that I would vomit and nearly pass out if I got out of bed.  I found that Esgic was the best abortive medication to help them, which allowed me to conduct training sessions.  It is similar to Fiorcet.  Hope you have been given some kind of abortive medications to help your migraines.

I really wish you the best.

Sara
Hi , my name is ***@****,  first of , bless you all for sharing your most fearfull moments . I too have severe migrane (migraine) it just started im 32 yrs started with a unstopable headache that lasted days....nothing worked and then  went tru stroke like symptoms that rush me to hospital more then once, however im glad to see im not alone and finally i can relate, is hard to explain right? People think im crazy because they cant find nothing wrong test wise , mri,mra,mrv all came back negative. Blood work is super, healthy as a horse. I used to work out hardcore ,lost a lot of weight but over a year took a lot of supplements witch contain ( creatine ) is a legal supplement powder you mix with water and turns you into the HULK for about a good 2hrs. I used to lift weight as well, but i think thats what did it for me . In the gym they call it ( CRACK JUICY ) it gives u a big rush is like a gallon of coffee before every workout and i used to go almost 7 days a week. Well, after explaining thia to my neurologist she said that might of been the case in myself. Well i went tru so many faces of symptoms i thougth i was dying , now is been 3 months No more gym finally gain back a bit of wait. Cuz i didnt want to eat lost appetite ,nausea, dizzyness out of focus, unable to drive and walk by myself . Fear of sleeping and not waking up because also i developed palpitations in my stomach and truout my body.  Im really scared because i have a 10 yer old princess and im so afraid of leaving her. My family was worrt to death about me . Now lost all my muscle weight, eating better and my vision is coming back with treatments. No coffee, no more gym, no more protein juice.  Devoted myself to god and it has help me a lot . I strongly recommend it.  Is the best meditation out there, now only symptoms i have are  body palpitations and numbness of left body comes and goes but it happends often.  My doctor said it will all be treated and is the symptoms of MIGRANE (migraine). Please feel free to email me, it would really be nice to talk to someone to relate .
The other night I was just sitting here listening to music on my laptop when all of a sudden I started seeing bright like diamond shapes and I thought it was just cuz I was lookin at the screen so I turned the lights off and laid down. Then a couple mins later my arm went completely numb and tingly and also my lips/face. As they were doing tests only then did my headache kick in. They told me I was having a complication/aura migraine. A few hours went by and then my feeling came back but I also got very sick to my to stomach for a couple hours after. They told me it was nothing serious but if it happens again to go to the hospital as I may need medications. Since then I've been getting headaches and numbness but nothing as serious..