Migraines & Headaches Community
SUDDEN BLURRED VISION, AURAS, HEADACE, HEAD PRESSURE

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

HELLO, I AM A 27 YEAR OLD FEMALE. GOING ON 28 ON HALLOWEEN.  I AM RELATIVELY HEALTHY EXCEPT THAT I AM OVERWEIGHT. I AM 5'3" AND WEIGH 220 POUNDS.  I HAVE RARELY EXPERIENCED ANY PROBLEMS RELATED TO THIS. BLOOD SUGAR, CHOLESTEROL, BLOOD PRESSURE, HAVE ALWAYS BEEN NORMAL.  THE LAST TIME I CHECKED WAS LAST DECEMBER OF 2006.  LAST NIGHT WHILE RELAXING AND WATCHING TV I EXPERIENCED A SUDDEN BLURR IN VISION.  IT DID NOT GO AWAY AND PERSISTED ALL NIGHT.  IT WASN'T EXACTLY JUST BLURRY LIKE BEING MYOPIC, IT WAS A PRECISE LINE THAT BENT INTO A CURVE ON THE CENTER LEFT SIDE OF MY VISION.  IT OCCURED WITH BOTH EYES AND EVEN WHEN EYES WERE CLOSED.  IT WAS SORT OF SPARKLY.  I DON'T KONW HOW TO DESCRIBE IT.  WITHIN THE NEXT 5 MINUTES OF ITS OCCURANCE I STARTED TO GET A MASSIVE HEADACHE STARTING IN THE TOP FRONT PART OF MY FORHEAD.  I TOOK 4 200MILLIGRAM ADVIL.  THE PAIN DID NOT GO AWAY, AND BEGAN TO SPREAD TO THE TOP OF MY HEAD, TEMPLE AND EAR AREA. THEN TOWARDS THE BACK OF MY HEAD. I FELT HUGE PRESSURE IN MY HEAD AND IN MY EARS AT THAT POINT AS IF IT WOULD BURST OPEN, AND A VERY HEAVY FEELING IN MY HEAD.  LIKE IT WAS HARD TO MOVE IT.  I ALSO STARTED TREMBLING A LITTLE.  ALMOST AS IF I HAD SEVERE MUSCLE WEAKNESS, LIKE WHEN ONE IS VERY WEAK AND JUST GETS STARTLED FROM BEING IN A DEEP SLEEP.  AFTER TAKING 4 MORE ADVIL, I LAYED DOWN AND TRIED TO GO TO SLEEP.  AFTER ABOUT 4 HOURS THE PAIN NEVER SEEMED TO DULL MUCH, BUT THE "SPARKLY" CURVE OF BLURRY VISSION TRAVELED TO THE UPPER CENTRAL PART OF MY VISION, THEN WENT AWAY.  I DO NOT KNOW WHEN I FELL ASLEEP.  I HAVE JUST WOKEN UP AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE NO BLURRED VISION AND NO HEADACHE, I FEEL EXTREME PRESSURE IN THE TOP PORTION OF MY HEAD AND A HEAVINESS TO MOVE AROUND AND MOVE MY HEAD.  I FEEL PRESSURE BEHING MY EYES AS WELL.  WHAT COULD THIS BE?  SHOULD I DRIVE MYSELF TO THE HOSPITAL? I CURRENTLY HAVE NO MEDICAL INSURANCE SO THIS DECISION MUST BE DECIDED CAREFULLY.  I HOPE TO HEAR YOUR ADVICE AND HELP SOON. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I was wondering if you have ever found a diagnosis for what you have described, as I have recently experienced something very similar.  Your description of blurry vision with a "sparkly" curved line that could be seen even when your eyes were closed is exactly what I experienced.  Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I understand your dilemma however, for a new onset headache with visual symptoms it is always best to get a consultation done. I suggest that you bring yourself to the nearest ER for immediate evaluation. A cranial CT san, assessment of blood pressure and coagulation factors, an EKG and other tests for cardiac assessment as well as a complete ophthalmologic exam may be able to help.

The last time your were evaluated was 2006, is this correct?

I do not want to further alarm you but as a physician I do advise that you get immediate consult so you will be assessed early on.In your case one has to exclude a transient ischemic attack and an opthalmologic problem ( retinal involvement).One differential is migraine with aura but this is only given once other conditions have been ruled out.
I am having the same problem. This aura in my vision has occured at least seven times today. It keeps coming and going. I have tremendous pressure in my head and neck pain. I am a 31 year old white female. I have been having migraines more frequently (2-3 per week) no migraine today just the auras. Scared and don't know what to do.
I'm 18 yrs old and I have been getting pains in my head the only word to describe it is like a pressure point on my head feels like my head has a load of weight on it. I'm only 5:4 in height and a medium build but it does not stay in one place, I dont know whether this is linked but I have had blurred vision once or twice. Was just wondering whether this is anything to be worried about??
I'm 27 years old and have never had any migraines or allergies before in my life.  Two months ago I started experiencing horrible migraine headaches with blurred vision and loss of balance.  I have seen my physician and he game me a steroid nasal spray and told me to take sudafed.  He diagnosed me with blocked sinus passages.  I have been taking the medication to no avail and still suffer from migraine pain that is unbearable.  I am going back to the doctor this week, and was considering asked to be referred to a specialist.  My question is considering that I have never had any symptoms like these before, it is unusual for someone to develop migraines at age 27 without any prior history at all?  I do believe there is something seriously wrong with my sinus passage, and I will not keep just dealing with these horrible headaches.  I have also smoked marijuana in the past(5 years ago), and the pain has been bad enough for me to seriously consider resorting to smoking again if I can't find any other relief.  Is this a bad idea?