Migraines & Headaches Community
Stopping taking metoprolol

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Stopping taking metoprolol

I had been taking half inderal la 80mg for the prevention of my severe migraine attacks for 3 weeks, after the second week i had developed side effects that consisted of nightmares, problems with sleeping and a rash and itching all over my body. I had immediately visited my doctor and she put me on another beta blocker - 50mg metropolol - in hope that the side effects would dissapear. It has been a week and the itching nor the rash have not subsided. I had rang my doctor and she had advised me that i will need to stop taking the medication. She had not told me how though and considering that there is so many complications that may develop after cessation I would like to know what is the best possible way to cease taking the medication. If anyone can advise on same I would be grateful.
I had a terrible rash that started in January I went to three doctors and the first one said it was due to hot shower. I just wasted my time with that one. My rash kept getting worse and worse (face only) the dermatologist prescribed Fluocinolone Aceonide Oil. It brought great relief, so much so that I was using it all the time as it brought relief only when it was on. Unfortunately it thinned my skin to dangers level. The doctor forgot to let me know that it thins the skin. But it was my fault as I did use way more than prescribed.  I noticed that stress and caffeine would flare up the rash.  
Anyway, after 10 months of miserable , nonstop itch I went for allergy tests and found out that my blood pressure medication (metropolol) was causing the itch. I have been using this medication for 5 years and never had a problem. Go figure…anyway switched medication and have been itch free for 2 months now.
I hope my experience can be of help.