Migraines & Headaches Community
Tender lump on head, headaches, sleep twitching

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Hello! My boyfriend has recently suffered from mild headaches and occasional shooting pain in his head. He has a small lump on his scalp which is swollen and tender and about 5cm across. He has told me in the past that the shooting pain has been present, but rare, for the last 4 months. He did bump his head at work 2 weeks ago but the lump is small enough to have gone down by now and it has not.

On a separate note, but also possibly linked, we both twitch in out sleep. We googled reasons for doing this as a joke and it came up with possible neurological problems. We laughed it off but these recent events have scared him. I twitch while falling asleep but he twitches all night.

We went to a doctor who told him it was nothing and to take voltaren tablets to reduce the swelling. He claims that the tablets have not helped at all.

Can anyone help with any of this? Should he go ro a doctor again and what procedures do we ask for to ensure nothing is wrong?
Thanks for writing in.
Tender lump on the scalp can be due to trauma, infections, enlarged lymph node or a sebaceous cyst. Since there is a history of trauma it is quite possible that the lump is a hematoma. I would advise him to apply ice packs, and take pain killers to ease the pain and inflammation.
If the swelling does not reduce in size it is important to get a re-evaluation done to rule out other possibilities.
Take care!
Thank you. I am taking him to the doctor tomorrow and will use you advice to ask questions.

Thanks!