Migraines & Headaches Community
Tinnitus and headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Tinnitus and headaches

I have had Tinnitus, now for over 8 years, I have not, and I dont think I definetly will ever get used to the constant hissing noise inside my ears and or head. I also have noticed that when I exercise, the noise becomes louder,to the point that it almost is, also  throbbing. I have been to many E.N.T. specialist, as well as other Doctors, Cat scans, X-rays,Twisting and turning exams, cold water in the ears, and many other tests have been done, but to no avail. Can any Doctor, specialist, or person out there that can help, and enlighten me as to what cure, or anything I could do to either release the burden of this, especially the Tinnitus,or at least, ease the problem. I have also tried, masking the problem, listening to the radio, tv among other things. Someone please help. Forgot to mention, side of face headaches, at times, is also prevalent.
Welcome to the forum!
I understand that you have been through a number of tests. I am just enumerating the possibilities. Please see what has been missed. . Exposure to loud noise or vibrations may also cause tinnitus.
Other possible causes of tinnitus have their origin in either your ear, or auditory nerve (which carries signals from your inner ear to your brain), infections, side-effects of medicines (aspirin, quinine, some antibiotics etc) you have taken or because of problems with your jaw or teeth. These include: Ménière's disease, otosclerosis, middle ear infections,   acoustic neuroma, wax in your ear canal and TMJ. Side of face pain, tinnitus and headache can be due to TMJ. Has this been looked into as a possibility?
It can be due to blocked eustachean tube (tube connecting ear to throat). Try valsalva maneuver (take a deep breath and blow while pinching your nostrils shut and closing your mouth). Tinnitus can also be a psychological problem. Hence get a psychiatric assessment too.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
To ease the tinnitus and headache, this anulom vilom pranayam will help very much.Also do the suggestion from the doctor about blowing with nose and mouth closed.Do the blowing 3 times a day.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.