Migraines & Headaches Community
Why is fioricet a problem?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Why is fioricet a problem?

I am 50 now and have migraines off and on since I was 17. I was prescribed fiorinal and it worked! I had suffered almost a week and was so sick but within 15 min of taking it, it was gone. But now, the doctors do not like to give this to me. I have no heart issues. No diabetes. Can you explain?
Doctors are hesitant to prescribe it as it is a narcotic, and therefore has the potential to be addictive.  You might want to look for a neurologist who specializes in headaches.
It is an excellent pain pill, but if you take it more than two times in a week, you risk severe rebound migraines.  That's the only reason I can think of besides it being a narcotic.  But you probably need a narcotic, so I agree to look for a neurologist who specializes in headaches.  These days, regular doctors are being monitored and penalized for prescribing pain pills.  That's probably the real reason.
I'm in the same boat- the drs don't want to prescribe it anymore because the FDA reclassified WHAT it can be used for and migraine headaches is not on their list! They actually told the drs that Ibuprophen or advil works JUST as good and to take all patients off fiorinal and fioricet and put them on high dose ibuprophen!!! well, Ibuprophen NEVER worked for my migraines. but my Dr isn't listening and now i'm suffering and missing out on life because without fiorinal I'm bedridden for days with ice on my head in bed- can't even watch tV! they should have to suffer like this- it's criminal what they are doing to us in pain.
Hope you saw my response on another posting.  If not, let me know.  
I'll repeat part of it for the other person on here.

You may need to try a pain management doctor to get the heavier pain killers due to the regulations.  (And try complaining to your congress.)  

You don't mention trying any daily preventative migraine medications.  But don't take any pain reliever more than 2 times a week or you risk more severe rebound migraines. That's why you should be taking a daily preventative med. If they don't work, then Botox should work.

Also have you tried Maxalt?  That helped my migraines more than the Fiorcet, but it did make me a bit drowsy.  

I was told that if taken too much it can damage a person's kidneys. But then I was taking 6 tablets per migraine (max dose in 24 hours is 6 tabs). My neuro switched me to Imitrex and since then life has been so much better. I do have to watch for rebound headaches but I can always fix them with Advil or Naproxen.