Migraines & Headaches Community
focal seizures

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

focal seizures

I am a scientist working in a research organization. Last 2008 Dec I joined another organization on deputation and mostly touring all over Indian coastal states for inspection of  Fish Farms. On 5th October 2010 when I was talking to my parents at my residence suddenly my left throat got dried and could not speak. Immediately I peaked up a water bottle and started drinking. But in the mean while my lower jaw started bending towards left and my left eye and cheek was also stretched towards left and fall unconscious for two-three minutes with stiff left hand and left leg.Immediately my father helped me to lie down on the bed and within 5 minutes I recovered and after taking rest for 15 minutes I went to hospital for check up. On arrival the Docs checked my ECG,Glucose level and BP but found normal.when they kept me under observation the same symptom developed with dry left throat and lower jaw and cheek bending towards left and losing consciousness.Immediately Dr diagnosed as Focal seizure and I was given saline with one injection and the MRI and EEG was carried out and found normal .All the the blood test and urea and creatine level was found within the limits.Dr prescribed me Frisium and oxytal and after two days I was discharged.I had also taken second opinion and the neuro-surgon  suggested me for one more EEG and the same was also normal.I stated to him that I am feeling very sleepy with these medicines.He suggested me to take Valparin Chrono 300 Two times a day and I am under medication since then. I must mention here that I used to keep fast on every tuesday and take only fruits throughout the day.Since last 5 yrs once in two to three months I get severe headache if I take two to three rich meals continuously.But I never taken medicine for that. Once I take rest I get rid from the headache.During that time my BP used to be normal.Six months back I have only started taking the green tea without sugar daily twice.
Is my diagnosis and prescription is alright and how long I need to take this medicine ?. 2nd Doc advised me to restrain from two wheeler driving for at least three one to two months.should I need to continue fast? Is it migraine which lead to seizure ? Can I get the Seizure again ? My Doc said I need rest and due to stress it happened.Is it true?I am an active person and I am 40yrs old. Now some times I feel that my throat is itching and drying but I get saliva very frequently.Docs said its psychological. Please advice.      
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that the tests done were normal. A seizure may be related to a temporary condition, such as exposure to drugs, abnormal levels of sodium or glucose in the blood and even injury to the brain. Stress may indeed be a trigger. How about your environmental or chemical exposures? Being a scientist, exposure to chemicals that may cause your symptoms may also be worth looking into. Take care and do keep us posted.