Miscarriages Community
Do I have to get a D&C

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

Do I have to get a D&C

So, the inevitable finally happened.  I wa 6.5-7 weeks pregnant.  I saw the baby's heartbeat Sept. 8 and even got pictures.  They said that my cervix was closed, that my levels were normal, and everything was fine.  They said that some women bleed throughout their pregnancy and still go on to have a healthy baby and they handed me a threatened miscarriage sheet.  I had been spotting and started to bleed and a little mild cramping, so I went to the hospital and found out all of this.  I was uninsured and now owe a pretty heafty hospital bill.  At least I got to see the heartbeat and get a picture.  Anyways, a week later, I started my period pretty heavily with some clots and sticky tissue.  It was just bleeding, no more than a normal period, I thought I would be one of the unlucky ones who has periods while she was pregnant.  Then, I started cramping very severily.  I couldn't stay off of my feet either because I am a teacher.  I took some tylenol for the pain and tried to sit down whenever I could, but it just got worse.  After about three days of this, it finally happened.  On Friday, Sept. 18, I passed the sack which I can only guess held the baby.  I felt extrememly better physically, just tired and a little pain in my lower right abdomen, but I feel worse emotionally.  My question is though, do I have to get a D & C since this happened naturally?  My insurance does not kick in until October 1st, will I be okay to wait until then?  
I am sorry for your loss, I know how tough it can be. As for needed a D&C, I would say probably not, but your doctor will check to make sure everything came out. If it did, then no you won't. If not, then you will. I would suggest checking with doctor to make sure because if there is something left in there it could cause an infection. Again, I am sorry for your loss.
BabyGirlSissy5,

I'm so sorry for your loss - everyone here understands what you're going through and we're all here for you any time you need to talk or ask questions   - or vent.  Its a tough time but, you will feel better in time.  It sounds like you had a natural miscarriage so you don't have to go for a D & C.  You'll probably bleed for the next few days - if you're bleeding excessively ( over a pad an hour ) I'd go to the hospital right away.  Meanwhile, keep a look out for  signs of infection in case not everything was expelled  : fever, foul discharge etc.. I've read that bleeding can last up to 2 weeks so by then, if you don't have any signs of infection - your insurance will have kicked in. You should make an appointment for a follow up - have your hcg levels checked to see if they're down, maybe your doctor will give you an u/s too.  Again, I'm sorry for your loss.  I know its hard to believe it but, you will feel better . I've had 2 m/c's - the 2nd one this past June - and I am keeping my chin up because I'm hoping the next is a keeper.  My thoughts are with you - remember, we're all here for you.  The girls here have helped me get through both and I know they / we will support you whenever you need it.

I don't think you will need a D&C unless you are bleeding heaving ( a pad an hour).
It sounds like you were able to expel everything.   I would still see a doctor to make sure everything is okay especially since you have pain in your lower right abdomen.  I am sorry for your loss.  I had a D&C done 1.5 weeks ago.  The doctor prescribed me antibiotics to avoid infection.
You shouldn't need a d&c if everything comes out. However you do need to see the doctor to make sure your hcg levels are falling and you will have to have that checked until it is 5 or under. I think you will be ok til october first, you will be at a higher risk of infection waiting that long tho. Make sure you set up the appointment so you are sure to get in as soon as you can.. best wishes
Well I jus had a miscarriage sat in I was bleedin very heavy n crampn I went ta d doctor and seen a baby *** out dey ced I pass d pregnancy and tissue does dat mean I still have ta get a d&c