Miscarriages Community
Is abdominal pain weeks after miscarriage normal?

This support community is for discussions and support relating to miscarriages.

I had a missed miscarriage in Feb 2011, after ~6 weeks LMP (miscarried naturally, no procedure, follow-up u/s confirmed all tissue was gone). When I first started spotting, I got a pinching feeling in my lower left abdomen. Throughout the course of the miscarriage AND currently (nearly a month later), I have this pain constantly in addition to an occasional left kidney/rib tenderness.

Gas makes it worse, and it's more noticeable when sitting or standing. Pain/pinching are the only symptoms. The doctors can't find anything wrong with me. I keep a food diary and there isn't an obvious trigger. The good news is that it's not getting worse, but then again it's not getting better either.

Does anyone else have this??? Eventually I want to start trying again for another baby, but I want this pain resolved first so I don't mistake a common pregnancy symptom for something serious!
I had the same kind of situation after miscarrying naturally last year. Eventually the cramping/pain went away after having my first period. I think it really just takes some time for your body to adjust, and you're probably fine if you've already been checked out and the ultrasound showed no tissue leftover. Just keep an eye on your symptoms and if the pain starts getting worse give the dr. a call.  
i would say check with the doctor just to be safe
how long did it take for you to get back on track for your first period. they usually say 4-6 weeks after a natural miscarriage.
Argh I didn't get a notification of your responses. Thanks for posting them!

Sania19: Thanks and I have been checking with the dr (about 5 times!) but they were stumped from the general exams they gave.

Lostinaphorisms: That is amazing that you had the same pain and it went away after your first period. I started my first period a few days ago and you're absolutely right- the pain went away. Ok well it's still a little tender especially if I crouch down and put pressure on my waistline. But, wow. I am keeping a record of this too. I'm pretty amazed that with the 3 OB/GYNs and GPs that I saw (all women), all of them said it sounded like it was unrelated to the miscarriage. I mean it makes sense that it IS related doesn't it?! Perhaps uterine tenderness? Unhappy ovary? No clue. Definitely pressure-sensitive.

sweetiepie01: Mine came at 4 weeks on the nose. I was expecting much later. It's as heavy as it was when I was off b/c. Definitely not light!

I'm glad that you're feeling better! Sometimes it just takes awhile for you to adjust and it is different for everyone. I would imagine the pain is/was related to the miscarriage. Also keep in mind it's normal to have some slight cramping and pressure at different times in your cycle like around the time you are ovulating and just before your period.

sweetpie01- for me it came back right around 5 weeks. :)
Thanks! What do you think of this though- the pain seems to be starting to return now that my period's over, meh! It started to come back immediately after I stopped spotting. It's just a little bit every now and again during the day and feels like a spasm, which I suppose it a cramp. But doesn't it seem a bit soon to start if it's Mittelschmerz/ovulation pain?
Ah. I always thought ovulation was ~14 days after the last day of one's period, but it looks like I was totally wrong. In this case, I may be having ovulation pain. Hm! This is so weird that this m/c started it all.
Did your pain ever go away and how long? I am going through the same thing now. It has been 10 weeks since my d&e.
I had my miscarriage on October 31st 2013 and they had to start it b/c my body didn't and I'm still bleeding some days heavy some days light and have horrible abdominal pain and back pain should I be concerned?
I passed the sac on the 2nd of February and went for an ultra sound. It was painful passed a lot of blood.  two days later and she said most had passed and that rest should pass so was bleeding for another week. But I still have pains in lower tummy and breast pains are returning that had gone It is a strange pain in the lower tummy. Any advice I don't know what it is
does it take long for pain to go away
thank u this was  hep ful to me i to feeling same pain  jwodays back i am miscarried very disappointed want to have soon again
I miscarried around the 2nd to 3rd week of pregnancy, 11/07/14.

Is now the 25th and tho my hormone levels have dropped am still experiencing uncomfortable pains, fluttering sensations kindof like muscle spasms, tenderness, bloated feeling and stomach feels a little hard from bellybutton down. Not sure what could be causing this & definitely wasn't expecting to still be feeling this bad (if not worse) than the first week after had the m.c.. It's basically same things as ive read from other ppl describing on here.

I did have one prior m.c., though that was over 10 yrs ago and required a D&C. This time my dr recommended to let it happen naturally - but did not have these symptoms after the previous miscarriage.. could've had something to do w my age and health at that time that i did not experience what i am now.

My ob gyn just ordered a 2nd hormone test, and have not been able to contact them about the pain i've been having. Went to ER for the m.c. & thinking quality of care has been limited because of my insurance type.

Was getting concerned about the pains ive been having, but after reading that so many others experienced the same things has me thinking it may be common occurance and nothing to be alarmed about on it's own. Have not yet had a period since this happened, so hopefully will see if it goes away afterward. Will post again then on whether it does.
Hello ladies. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It helped calm me down.I had a postive PT last Nov 20 with some bleeding which I thought was implantation. Saw doc on Nov 22 bec bleeding was heavier than usual implantation that I experience before.

Trans V ultrasound on the same day showed complete abortion. Don't know when I actually lost it :( Doc said I was 4 to 5 weeks based on LMP. no D&C was prescribed since the uterus was already clean based on trans V.

Been 10 days now since Nov 22 and bleeding is almost gone. Just have one or two bursts of bleeding in a day that is bright red but not heavy enough to fill a liner. I do have the abdominal pains though. Doctor put me on antibiotics last Saturday when I saw her for the one-week check up. Was worried that I had an infection but reading from your posts, this seems like normal.

Will still keep on monitoring though. THanks very much for all your posts. We ladies have to help each other. It is not easy to be a woman...